1 minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
njgorgen

Post by njgorgen » August 22nd, 2018, 2:47 pm

librivox.org/uploads/test_njgorgen.mp3
Audacity
Windows
USB

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » August 24th, 2018, 2:53 am

hello NJ and welcome to the forum :)

thank you for starting out with a one-minute-test. Always good to have the technical side checked first ;)

You forgot to paste the correct online link here, but I found it in the test folder. Links always need to look like this: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_njgorgen.mp3 or we cannot download them.

Concerning the reading, it's absolutely agreeable to listen to, you have a clear enunciation and don't speak too fast, so it's easy for listeners to follow along. :thumbs:

Concerning the basic technical settings, everything up to LV standard as well, nothing to change there anymore.

Only one thing we still need to tweak and that is the volume and background noise. Luckily you are using Audacity so it's easy for me to walk you through it. No need to re-record, it's a good opportunity to learn about the Audacity functions now, which you will probably need in further recordings as well.

Please do the following two things to this recording:

1) amplify the volume. We accept between 86 and 92 dB, yours is only 76.2 dB.

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 12 (in your case now) in the first slot (amplification dB)
> press ok

A good thing would be to boost the input volume from the start. Check out the Microphone icon in the top bar in Audacity. Is the slider all the way up to the + sign ? If not, slide it there, it will boost the mic input.

2) noise-cleaning. You already had quite some background noise to start with and now amplifying it with 12, it's really very audible ;) To noise-clean, do the following steps:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect - Noise Cleaning
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Cleaning
> now select OK

Also here: best is to find the source of this noise (electrical appliance, fan, AC, fridge nearby ? traffic ?) Closing the windows or turning off AC while recording is a good idea (although in this weather it might be horror :? ) Well basically, the best thing is to use the quietest room for your recording sessions :mrgreen:

All right, this is it. Could you do these two steps please, reupload and paste the link here in this same thread, then I can have a second look at it.

If there are any questions still, don't hesitate to ask :)

Sonia

njgorgen

Post by njgorgen » August 27th, 2018, 10:54 am

Hi! This is njgorgen. Did my adjustments. URL https//librivox.org/tests/1_minute_test_-_#2.mp3. Pls let me know how it sounds now. Thx

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » August 28th, 2018, 1:20 am

Hi again

thank you for the adjustments. Yes, the volume is now up to 88 dB, which is a good average. The background noise is very audible still though. Have you used the noise-cleaning function like I mentioned in the second step-by-step ? :hmm: While a bit of noise doesn't matter much, this one was quite distracting, so it would be better to run the cleaning function before submitting an official recording in the projects.

Have you found the source of the noise maybe ? It could also be the fan of your computer or the mic being too near the computer. If you have a possibilty to run the computer on battery instead plugging it in, that could reduce the noise as well.

Could you try the noise-cleaning one more time please and resubmit, after that I am sure you will be ready to roll :)

Oh, concerning the file-naming. Using signs like # will break the link, so it's better to avoid using anything else than letters and numbers. Just name it test_njgorgen3 and post the link here and this will be fine. :)

One more try. No need to re-do the recording. I just tried the noise-cleaning on your sample and it's perfect with one more round.

I don't know what your settings were, but mine, for comparison are:

Noise reduction (db): 12
Sensitivity: 6
Frequency smoothing (bands): 0

And it worked fine with those.

Sonia

njgorgen

Post by njgorgen » August 28th, 2018, 7:56 am

OK. I think I have the noise problems mostly figured out. Will try again. 😁

njgorgen

Post by njgorgen » August 28th, 2018, 8:50 am

OK! I think we should be good now. Plz let me know. It wasn't as complicated or hard as I thought it would be. Didn't realize mic would pick up so much noise (clocks,and such). Thanks so much for your help. Looking forward to finding something short for my first project!

njgorgen

Post by njgorgen » August 28th, 2018, 9:12 am

Whoops. I forgot the URL - https//librivox.org/uploads/1_minute_test_3_.mp3 i love technology sometimes ..... 😁

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » August 28th, 2018, 12:53 pm

njgorgen wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 8:50 am
OK! I think we should be good now. Plz let me know. It wasn't as complicated or hard as I thought it would be. Didn't realize mic would pick up so much noise (clocks,and such). Thanks so much for your help. Looking forward to finding something short for my first project!
yes you are ready to roll. I think one round of noisecleaning is always helpful unless you are really in a soundproof studio. But of course it helps to pick the least noisy room in your house for your recording sessions.

But, this test is now OK and I'm wishing you good luck with your first official recording in one of our projects. Just have a look around, there is so much on offer. :)

Have fun !

Sonia

njgorgen

Post by njgorgen » August 28th, 2018, 5:27 pm

Thanks so much for your help!