[COMPLETE] SOLO Prairie Poems from the Sunflower State by Lottie Brown Allen - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Annalisa56

Post by Annalisa56 »

Prairie Poems from the Sunflower State by Lottie Brown Allen ( - 0).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/prairie-poems-from-the-sunflower-state-by-lottie-brown-allen/
Poems written by Kansas native Lottie Brown Allen expressing her love of her home state. ( AnnaLisa Bodtker)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/prairiepoemsfrom00alle
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Prairie Poems from the Sunflower State. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Prairie Poems from the Sunflower State, by Lottie Brown Allen. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "[Poem title] by Lottie Brown Allen. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Poem]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Prairie Poems from the Sunflower State, by Lottie Brown Allen. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename prairiepoems_##_allen_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. prairiepoems_01_allen_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Kitty
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Annalisa56 on August 23rd, 2018, 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Now everyone, big or little, has a story.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hello Annalisa :)

I see you feel ready for a first solo and I think a short poetry project is the best way to start out with :thumbs: I can MC this and I would also like to volunteer as DPL if that's ok with you.

But before I can open the MW for you, please copy the entire template in your first post. As you can see in this other new project: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=71435 there is still a lot of text underneath the "Project Code". I hope you saved the page still. Could you update the first post please with the entire text ?

Thanks

Sonia
Annalisa56

Post by Annalisa56 »

Thank you Sonia!
Last edited by Annalisa56 on August 23rd, 2018, 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annalisa56

Post by Annalisa56 »

Good morning Sonia!
Obviously I am having problems with the template. This time it put Grant Allen in as the author instead of Lottie Brown Allen! :( I will try again.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Annalisa56 wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 4:55 am Good morning Sonia!
Obviously I am having problems with the template. This time it put Grant Allen in as the author instead of Lottie Brown Allen! :( I will try again.
ok I'll wait. But instead of making it a new post, please edit your first post and put the copy/paste in there. I did it for your new template now, as you can see

Just click on the edit button (looks like a pencil) then you can correct your previous posts.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok it looks like you managed now :) There is a bit of a doubling of text at the end of the first post, you could delete that. After
Any questions?
Please post below
there is a repetition of "Genres for the project....etc"

Question before I open the MW: do you really want 19 sections ? I see it's only 18 poems and the dedication is not a poem, just one short sentence. You can either leave it out altogether, or if you wish to include it, you could say it at the beginning of the first poem. Or you could do it as section 0. It's as you wish, but I'll wait for your decision. :)

Sonia
Annalisa56

Post by Annalisa56 »

You know I think that dedication meant a lot to Lottie so let's leave it in as section 0. Also, except for section 0, can we use the short intro to each poem "poem title" by Lottie Brown Allen read for Librivox.org by AnnaLisa Bodtker and then end of Poem This recording is in the public domain?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right, MW is up :) You are the BC for this project, so you should be able to enter the MW and type in the poem titles for each section and paste your links in there once they are uploaded.

When you first log in, it might not work with your password, then simply click on "forgot password" and you'll get a new one for the MW. Your old one will still be valid for the forum.
Annalisa56 wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 8:17 amYou know I think that dedication meant a lot to Lottie so let's leave it in as section 0.
ok I put it in as Section 0.

We know nothing about this author unfortunately. I couldn't find any further info.
Also, except for section 0, can we use the short intro to each poem "poem title" by Lottie Brown Allen read for Librivox.org by AnnaLisa Bodtker and then end of Poem This recording is in the public domain?
yes since the poems are so short, I think that would be best. So start with the full disclaimer for Dedication, but after that you can take the shorter one. I will ask around if that is feasible for Solos though, so don't start yet.

I also abbreviated your file-name a bit ;)

Ready to go. I will soon move it to Going Solo. If you still have questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Sonia
Annalisa56

Post by Annalisa56 »

Thank you for all you help! I appreciate you working with me.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Ok I got confirmation, it's definitely ok to use the abbreviated disclaimer :)

looking forward to the poems. Did you manage to enter the MW ? I see you haven't filled in the titles yet. If there are problems, just let me know.

Sonia
Annalisa56

Post by Annalisa56 »

Hopefully I will get a minute tomorrow morning to enter the poems in the MW. I will start recording next week. So exciting!
Annalisa56

Post by Annalisa56 »

Good morning Sonia!
I have updated the magic window and found Lottie's dates of birth and death from her obituary on Findagrave.com:

"Lottie V Allen Dies at her home. Mrs. Lottie V. Allen died suddenly at her home in this city Friday afternoon as the result of a heart attack. Mrs. Allen had been ill only a short time before her death, and it was not until the same day of her death that her family became alarmed. Her passing removes one of the best known women of the county, for Mrs. Allen had lived here for the past 63 years, coming to the Homestead vicinity with her parents in 1872.

The funeral services were held from the Allen home at 3:00 o'clock Sunday afternoon. The Rev. E. M. Scott had charge of the service. lnterment was made in Prairie Grove cemetery. A quartet composed of Jim Bell. Elmore Stout, Mrs J. E. Stout and Mary Scott sang at the service. Miss Helen Scott was at the piano.

Following is the obituary read by Reverend Scott:
"Lottie Valentine Brown was born in Wabaunsee county, Kansas, on February 14, 1863, the daughter of Alexander H, and Harriet Dibble Brown, and passed away at her home in Cottonwood Falls, on June 14, 1935, at the age of 72 years and four months. When nine years of age she moved with her parents to Chase county, settling at Homestead, where she grew to womanhood.

On February 15, 1881, she was married at Cottonwood Falls to Thomas Gurney Allen. They made their home at Toledo, in this county, until 1891, when they moved to Cottonwood Falls, which has since been their home, with the exception of a few years spent in Kansas City. "Mrs. Allen was a loyal Kansan, and one of her greatest pleasures was ,writing verse about her native state. In 1920 her book, "Prairie Poems from the Sunflower State," was published."
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Annalisa56 wrote: August 24th, 2018, 5:41 am I have updated the magic window and found Lottie's dates of birth and death from her obituary on Findagrave.com:
:shock: WOW, you found her whole biography. How cool is that ?

can you paste the link to the findagrave page here please ? We can use this when we open her as new author in our database. :thumbs:

Excellent find !

Sonia
Annalisa56

Post by Annalisa56 »

Here it is Sonia:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/15391936/lottie-valentine-allen

I was so excited to see the book in the obituary, then I knew for sure it was the right Lottie!

AnnaLisa
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Annalisa56 wrote: August 24th, 2018, 10:10 am https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/15391936/lottie-valentine-allen

I was so excited to see the book in the obituary, then I knew for sure it was the right Lottie!
yes that was so cool, I thought so too. :thumbs: great find

thanks for the link

Sonia