COMPLETE: Junior Classics Vol. 4: Heroes and Heroines of Chivalry, by W Patten - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Foon

Post by Foon »

Matt:

Section 34 is also very nicely read, no comments on the reading, but it has the same two issues that need to be addressed as section 33:
- there is some background noise present throughout the recording, so you'll need to run noise cleaning on it; let me know if you need help with that.
- the recording checked in at 92.5 dB, which is outside the acceptable range of 86-92dB. If you de-amplify the entire recording by about 3dB, you will get right to the sweet spot of 89dB.
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
mattbenzing

Post by mattbenzing »

OK, here's 33 again. I de-amped and I think I got rid of the noise.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/juniorclassicsvol4_33_patten_128kb.mp3

13:56
mattbenzing

Post by mattbenzing »

Foon

Post by Foon »

Thank you!
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

Hi Matt,
The volume of the recordings is much better now, although there doesn't seem to be much difference regarding background noise.

Do you use Audacity?

If you do, what I'd do, is select a period of "silence" (i.e. no reading, just background noise), such as the last 5 seconds of silence. Then go to Effects -> Noise Reduction, click "Get noise profile" in the upper part of the window (Step 1). The window disappears and not much seems to happen, but now Audacity knows what to look for. Then select the entire track, go to Noise Reduction again, and this time select "Ok" in the bottom part of the window (Step 2). Then, it actually runs the noise cleaning.
A simple way to check if there is still background noise is either looking at the recording during "silence"--is it a neat flat line at 0, or is it thicker or messy? In the latter case, you probably want to run noise cleaning.

Let me know if you need more specific help with the noise cleaning. :)

Foon

Readers needed:
supermikhail

Post by supermikhail »

Should be section 8, at 9:12 - https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/juniorclassicsvol4_08_patten_128kb.mp3

I also had to de-amp because somehow I managed to beat my previous efforts by 7 db, I think... Anyway, I hope it'll PL OK, because there's no way I'm re-doing it. I don't know how you guys manage to get through multiple sections in short succession. I imagine if you're native speakers it helps... whereas I keep tripping on "th"s and "w"s... (Not to mention technical issues.) :( Maybe practice'll make perfect. But for now I have to go lie down.
Foon

Post by Foon »

supermikhail wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 5:36 am Should be section 8, at 9:12 - https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/juniorclassicsvol4_08_patten_128kb.mp3

I also had to de-amp because somehow I managed to beat my previous efforts by 7 db, I think... Anyway, I hope it'll PL OK, because there's no way I'm re-doing it. I don't know how you guys manage to get through multiple sections in short succession. I imagine if you're native speakers it helps... whereas I keep tripping on "th"s and "w"s... (Not to mention technical issues.) :( Maybe practice'll make perfect. But for now I have to go lie down.
Thank you! I'll try to give it a listen this evening. :)

Experience and practice makes everything a lot easier--my first recordings were also a painful process, but it gets much easier over time!

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

supermikhail wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 5:36 am Should be section 8, at 9:12 - https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/juniorclassicsvol4_08_patten_128kb.mp3

Very nice recording! It's an excellent first contribution to LibriVox! :clap:

I have 1 comment for you to address;
at 0:29: please include the chapter title and part number in the intro: “The Story of King Arthur, part 8, the Coming of Sir Galahad”

Great job otherwise :thumbs:

Cheers,
Foon

Readers needed:
supermikhail

Post by supermikhail »

Foon wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 11:33 am

Very nice recording! It's an excellent first contribution to LibriVox! :clap:

I have 1 comment for you to address;
at 0:29: please include the chapter title and part number in the intro: “The Story of King Arthur, part 8, the Coming of Sir Galahad”

Great job otherwise :thumbs:

Cheers,
Foon
Did I get you correctly with this? - https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/juniorclassicsvol4_08_patten_128kb.mp3 (9:16) I guess I may have messed up again because there's this bit with "Retold by" which I'm not sure where it's supposed to go.
Foon

Post by Foon »

Yup, that's perfect, the author credit should go just as you read it, right after the part title.

Thanks for the fix, it is now PL OK! :thumbs: Great job! :clap:

Readers needed:
Bill Mosley

Post by Bill Mosley »

Howdy from Texas!

Here's

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/juniorclassicsvol4_47_patten_128kb.mp3

47 The Spanish Chronicle of the Cid - Part 2: Don Garcia Defies Don Sancho

8:27

Note: At 6:44 there is a footnote. I repeated the subject word after the footnote because it is a plural, and the definition is singular. I think it is clearer this way.

Bill
Bill

How did it get so late so soon?
It’s night before it’s afternoon.
December is here before it’s June.
My goodness how the time has flewn.
How did it get so late so soon?
~Dr. Seuss
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thank you!

Readers needed:
supermikhail

Post by supermikhail »

I'll do section 9, I guess?

I think I've overcome my PTSD from the first recording, and I can't really get into anything else on the forum... I kind of wish that recordings were instead assigned to me, according to my abilities, because there's a lot of stuff to choose from, on several different subforums, most authors I've never heard of, and none of the works particularly calls to me, at least from the title, and if try to get into them, one by one, I just get nervous... Choice paralysis? I suppose that also passes with practice...
Foon

Post by Foon »

I think it gets easier with more practice; I personally have a much better feel now for what kind of projects I enjoy. And sometimes I just sign up for something semi-randomly, to give myself a surprise!

Section 9 is all yours :thumbs:

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

Bill Mosley wrote: August 25th, 2018, 6:15 pm Howdy from Texas!

Here's

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/juniorclassicsvol4_47_patten_128kb.mp3

47 The Spanish Chronicle of the Cid - Part 2: Don Garcia Defies Don Sancho

8:27

Note: At 6:44 there is a footnote. I repeated the subject word after the footnote because it is a plural, and the definition is singular. I think it is clearer this way.

Bill
Thanks Bill!

The reading is great, I just have one comment on the intro:
at 0:34, please include the chapter title and part number in the intro, like this: "Junior Classics Vol. 4: Heroes and Heroines of Chivalry, by William Patten. The Spanish Chronicle of the Cid - Part 2: Don Garcia Defies Don Sancho"

About footnotes; I think the way you've included them so far is great. Do know that it's optional, so if you don't find a fitting way to include them, feel like they're not interesting, or break up the text too much, you can skip them if you wish.

Readers needed: