COMPLETE The Houses of Sin by Vincent O'Sullivan -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eidolo

Post by eidolo »

Lmnei wrote: August 17th, 2018, 8:30 pmNext, listening to your recording, you are speaking very fast! I would suggest slowing down a bit :) You need to make a slight pause at the end of each line please. Right now everything in a verse runs together and it is fairly hard to listen to and comprehend.

As for the beginning, you said "read for LibriVox.org" however forgot to add the "by [your name]" before reading the poem.

It seems that you are recording the poem at different times as your voice sounds different throughout the poem. Is there something I can help you with so that the recording is the same all the way through? When I am recording a poem, I say the intro, and then the poem and then the exit. When I start recording I do not stop until I have said the exit piece and left more than 5 seconds (as I like an extra buffer). If I make a mistake when recording, I just re-record the line again (or the word) and keep going. So lets say I was recording "The fox jumped over the brown fence" and I said instead "The fox jumped over the green fence" I would just continue and say either the sentence again or just "brown fence" and finish the whole recording.
I thought I didn't need to put my name in if I didn't want. I'll try to mute the sound a bit next time. Would it be possible to edit in a break between lines? That's what I tried to do. I couldn't read the whole poem without taking breaks, because I would've messed up too many times. I don't know how to edit in missed lines, so I tried to avoid it by chunking it. I tried to read it at a natural speed that included the punctuation, but apparently that didn't work. I'm used to doing recordings for people to practice listening to English (if I've ever recorded at all), so this is new to me. Thank you.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

"I thought I didn't need to put my name in if I didn't want. I'll try to mute the sound a bit next time. "
Carolin would be better to answer this question - for the hundreds of poems I have recorded, the name was always required but not location, website etc.

"Would it be possible to edit in a break between lines? That's what I tried to do. I couldn't read the whole poem without taking breaks, because I would've messed up too many times. I don't know how to edit in missed lines, so I tried to avoid it by chunking it. I tried to read it at a natural speed that included the punctuation, but apparently that didn't work. I'm used to doing recordings for people to practice listening to English (if I've ever recorded at all), so this is new to me. Thank you."

Truthfully, your recording needs to be done over again and you need to slow down. Did you listen to the link that I sent you of Nemo's recording? A poem is meant to rhyme and that rhyming is meant in most poems to be featured. If you are reading fast, then you totally miss the purpose of the poem and its message.

So just slow down and perhaps pick a recording that is easier to do than a poem such as reading a short book chapter instead as one of your first recordings?

Perhaps Carolin has more she can add. :)

Lynda
eidolo

Post by eidolo »

Lmnei wrote: August 17th, 2018, 8:55 pm Truthfully, your recording needs to be done over again and you need to slow down. Did you listen to the link that I sent you of Nemo's recording? A poem is meant to rhyme and that rhyming is meant in most poems to be featured. If you are reading fast, then you totally miss the purpose of the poem and its message.

So just slow down and perhaps pick a recording that is easier to do than a poem such as reading a short book chapter instead as one of your first recordings?
I was trying to emphasize the rhyming. I did have someone listen to it, and they said they heard it. Oh well. Not trying to sound defensive. I just worked a long time on it so I'm a little disappointed. I'll give up for now.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

eidolo wrote: August 17th, 2018, 7:28 pm Here's one. Tell me if it's too dramatic. I wasn't trying to be. Just trying to put feeling into it. I need to know what sucks so I don't mess up all my other recordings I have in line. Thank you.

Click here.
Hi tanya, thank you so much for your recording :thumbs:

Also thank you lynda for proof listening. Ill add my own comments here though.

Tanya, i think your recording is really good, no parts suck, as you write above. For librivox standards, all i need you to do is to
1. De-amplify to 89 decibel. You can either amplify with a negative value, or even simpler, use replaygain which can set it for you automatically. You can find instructions here https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity
2. Listen carefully to the silence inbetween. Do you need noisecleaning to get rid of background noise? I hear some background noise now but maybe this is no longer audible after the volume went down.

Thats it!

Recording style is entirely up to you. There are as many ways to read poetry as there are to write it. We welcome all styles at librivox. In fact, i enjoyed your recording immensely, and i really hope we will hear more of you in the future.

Edit, i forgot to say that indeed saying your name is not obligatory in any librivox recording. We added it to the intro because so many people choose to say it, and we wanted some consistency in our intros and outros. But of course you are not obliged to identify yourself. Thank you!
Carolin
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Carolin -

Can I please take the last 3 open ones? I think they are 20, 23 and 29 if I remember correctly...

Lynda
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

sure lynda, thank you!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you lynda!
Carolin
clarksonr

Post by clarksonr »

Thanks, Roman
Pseudonym: Roman Noble
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Clarkson!

As there is no DPL yet I have reviewed your poems for you. They were really great to listen to! You have done a wonderful job of recording them and I can hear your passion when recording which is great!

Here is the feedback for each section -

Section 2
1:18 – mien – should be like meen – rhymes with queen in sentence below
2:49 – I heard untreating eyes – should be entreating eyes
Please leave closer to 5 seconds at the end of the poem.

Section 3
56.5 – heard sweetest – should be sweet

Section 5
1:38 – heard wildness – should be wilderness
2:14 – heard Her dreams – should be He dreams

Section 6
Your volume is just a bit below the range at 85.9 dB – use Amplify to get it closer to 89 dB please - if you need help just let me know!
Reading is perfect.

Section 7
Your volume is just a bit below the range at 85.9 dB – use Amplify to get it closer to 89 dB - same as above :help:
There are 2 more verses that were not read on page 25 that need to be appended to the end of the poem please.
I am not sure if all the bracketed portions of Part 3 need to be whispered - I can see it for the first verse however I generally do not whisper bracketed sections - I just read them normally as whispering can be hard to understand or hear. It is up to you though as the reader - I was just sharing what I generally do. :)

So if you can make those minor changes then post the links and new times Carolin will be able to update the Magic Window and someone will Spot Check them so they can get approved.

It was a pleasure listening to your work. :thumbs:

Lynda
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you lynda!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

And thank you roman!

I marked all sections as see pl notes, but please note that the majority of the notes are optional fixes. Have a look at them and choose if you want to edit or not :thumbs:
Carolin
clarksonr

Post by clarksonr »

Lmnei wrote: August 19th, 2018, 5:26 pm Hi Clarkson!

As there is no DPL yet I have reviewed your poems for you. They were really great to listen to! You have done a wonderful job of recording them and I can hear your passion when recording which is great!

Here is the feedback for each section -

Section 2
1:18 – mien – should be like meen – rhymes with queen in sentence below
2:49 – I heard untreating eyes – should be entreating eyes

Section 3
56.5 – heard sweetest – should be sweet

Section 5
1:38 – heard wildness – should be wilderness
2:14 – heard Her dreams – should be He dreams

Section 6
Your volume is just a bit below the range at 85.9 dB – use Amplify to get it closer to 89 dB please - if you need help just let me know!
Reading is perfect.

Section 7
Your volume is just a bit below the range at 85.9 dB – use Amplify to get it closer to 89 dB - same as above :help:
There are 2 more verses that were not read on page 25 that need to be appended to the end of the poem please.
I am not sure if all the bracketed portions of Part 3 need to be whispered - I can see it for the first verse however I generally do not whisper bracketed sections - I just read them normally as whispering can be hard to understand or hear. It is up to you though as the reader - I was just sharing what I generally do. :)

So if you can make those minor changes then post the links and new times Carolin will be able to update the Magic Window and someone will Spot Check them so they can get approved.

It was a pleasure listening to your work. :thumbs:

Lynda
Thank you for listening. I made all the changes and am uploading now.
Thanks, Roman
Pseudonym: Roman Noble