Post by linny »

Foon,
Thank you! Sections 32, 34-36 are all PL OK! :thumbs:
FatimaA

Post by FatimaA »

Foon

Post by Foon »

Hi Fatima,
These two sections are very nicely read!

However, the sound of your recording is VERY metallic. Is this something that has happened before? I don't know if this might be caused by editing you did on it (looking at the waveforms, it looks heavily compressed), but in case you have your raw recordings, would it be possible to see if you can reduce the metallic-ness? The reading itself is great.
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
linny

Post by linny »

Thank you both.

Fatima, if you want to post your edited but not processed version I would be glad to take a listen and offer some suggestions.
FatimaA

Post by FatimaA »

Hi, I tried re-recording section 72, since it's the shorter of the two sections. I was able to keep the volume about the same throughout, and reduce the background noise so that not as much processing was needed. I think it sounds much better overall, although I can definitely still hear some distortion. Please take a listen and let me know if you think this version is better and/or sufficient for Librivox, and, if so, I will re-record 71 as well. If not, then I would probably just ask to orphan those two sections and give someone else a chance, since opportunities for me to record here are so limited. I definitely wouldn't be offended at all!! I've noticed that a few volunteers from India have had problems due to audio and are now concentrating more on proof listening, and I would probably do the same. Thanks so much!

Fatima

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/eddas_72_various_128kb.mp3

(New length = 2:00)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I can't listen to that at the moment , but please don't quit reading without giving us a chance to work on a file that you have edited and not done ANY post editing processing.
Often changing a setting can make a real difference , . The only bit of general advice I would offer to all non native speakers , not just Indians :D , is to speak a little slower sometimes, it is difficult for anyone listening to accents they aren't familiar with - even for native English speakers from a different country - there are regional accents in England and the USA that I find difficult and they have the same problem with me. So maybe I should say all readers :D

Anne
linny

Post by linny »

Fatima,
I put your section in for PL. I'm sorry you had to record it again. I was hoping you still had your raw file.

If you have any raw that you can upload, even just 1-2 minutes, that would be very helpful. You could upload it to the 'test-test' folder. Don't do any processing but please tell me how you would normally process your work. I would be happy to take a listen and tell you how I would process it. That way you could compare the two methods. A 'metallic' sound is very often due to over processing. By revising your process steps it's probably an easy fix. We certainly don't want you to stop recording.

Do you use Audacity?
Foon

Post by Foon »

Hi Fatima,
I took a listen to your new recording of section 72, and reading-wise it's absolutely perfect!

However, as Anne and Linny have also commented, we really want to help you out! You have a lovely reading style, and it would be a bummer if you quit reading before there has been an opportunity to help you. Between a lot of excellent people, there is SO much knowledge about audio editing here at LibriVox!

If you'd like to give us that opportunity, it would be incredibly helpful if you could post an audio recording that has NOT been edited at all, other than cutting out stumbles etc. So no noise cleaning, compression, normalisation, anything else that you might run over it.

If you don't want to do that, I think we can mark this section PL OK.

Cheers,
Foon
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
FatimaA

Post by FatimaA »

Hi, so sorry for the delayed response! Currently the solution that I have available to me is to use a hand-held digital recorder with a lapel mic, which I then give to a friend of mine who is a sound-technician-type-person, and who works for a local TV station here. She then edits the audio for me and gives me back the finished file. My guess is that the problem has more to do with my device than her editing... at least I can say with certainty that what she gives me back is hundreds of times better than what I give to her (especially given that she does it for free as a favor to me). However, I'm not against posting an unedited clip in case anyone wants to try their hand at it; although I really don't like the idea of putting so many people through the trouble. It would be interesting to see, though. With regard to posting a test clip, where would the best place be to post it? I did ask my friend what sort of software she uses, and she told me that they use a software package called Studio One to edit, and either Studio One or WavePad to encode, but that it essentially depends on which workstation she can use at that point in time.

With regard to my accent/pronunciation, I really don't think it can be helped, although I do try to speak as clearly as possible... but I definitely will pay closer attention to that in the future!! And yes, as Anne said, almost everyone here has a different accent. :D As far as the two sections that I recorded for this project, I think they can be taken down so that somebody else can have a chance. They're very short sections, and I'm not all that attached to them. Also, this project is almost finished, and I'd prefer to see it moved into the catalog sooner. If this were a brand new project that were months or years away from completion, then I'd probably feel differently. But for this project, which has just a few short sections remaining, I'd rather give someone else a chance so that the project can be completed sooner.

Thank you for all the nice compliments and the support!!

Fatima
linny

Post by linny »

Fatima,
Do you have objections to downloading Audacity and learning to edit your own audio? If you want to edit your own audio I don't mind working with you to get the settings correct. You can post a raw file to the test folder and then PM me the link. If you will continue to use someone else to edit then I'm not sure I feel comfortable with that since I don't know those programs but we can see how it goes.

I'll leave it to Foon as to if either of the sections can be PL ok. If either or both aren't then I will release the remainder.
Foon

Post by Foon »

I think we can mark 72 as PL OK, I'll have another listen to 71 tomorrow :)

Readers needed:
linny

Post by linny »

Thank you, Foon.
Foon

Post by Foon »

Regarding section 71:

Do you still have the raw recording file of section 71 (before you sent it to your friend) that you can upload to work with Linny? If so, we might leave this one open for now to see how that plays out. :)

If you don't have that file anymore, I think we can mark this PL OK. The metallic sound is not ideal, but it's still nicely read by you and we wouldn't want your efforts to go to waste. :)

Readers needed:
linny

Post by linny »

dravon wrote: June 20th, 2018, 10:33 am Howdy. I am very excited to see this project in the list! Can I claim sections 25 through 29? Thanks!
Claimed June 20th. No contact from reader or activity on LV. Orphaning sections.
linny

Post by linny »

fatbobot wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 9:45 am Hey can i claim 30 -36?
Claimed Jun 23. 2 months have expired. Claims released.