Thank you :thumbs:
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hi nemo, i have three pl okay's for you :D
Carolin
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Carolin wrote: August 12th, 2018, 7:41 am hi nemo, i have three pl okay's for you :D
Thanks C.!
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
clarksonr

Post by clarksonr »

Hello again. I'll take Sections, 2, 3, 5, 6 and 7 if you let me. :D
Thanks, Roman
Pseudonym: Roman Noble
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you roman!
Carolin
eidolo

Post by eidolo »

May I have 27 and 28?
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Carolin -

Can I please have 8,9,17,18,21,24,26 please?

Lynda
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you lynda!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

eidolo wrote: August 15th, 2018, 10:14 am May I have 27 and 28?
Hi and welcome to librivox!

You are welcome to read those sections. To be able to sign you up, i need to know under which name or pseudonym you would like to appear in the catalog. We can also link to your personal website or blog.

I see you have already completed your one minute test, so all i need is this info to get you started!
Carolin
eidolo

Post by eidolo »

Carolin wrote: August 15th, 2018, 10:20 pmYou are welcome to read those sections. To be able to sign you up, i need to know under which name or pseudonym you would like to appear in the catalog. We can also link to your personal website or blog.
I'd like to use the name 'Tanya B'.
Also, one quick question. Are there any words that come after 'weakened' in the second line of the poem "The Rivals"? I want to read it correctly. Some of the text got cut off.
NinthProphet

Post by NinthProphet »

I shall stake my claim on 14, 15 and 16 for my first recording! Pseudonym NinthProphet, thank you!
The Illustrious Ninth Prophet
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

eidolo wrote: August 16th, 2018, 10:19 am
Carolin wrote: August 15th, 2018, 10:20 pmYou are welcome to read those sections. To be able to sign you up, i need to know under which name or pseudonym you would like to appear in the catalog. We can also link to your personal website or blog.
I'd like to use the name 'Tanya B'.
Also, one quick question. Are there any words that come after 'weakened' in the second line of the poem "The Rivals"? I want to read it correctly. Some of the text got cut off.
Thank you tanya! I have signed you up, your personal catalog page is here https://librivox.org/reader/12705

I looked at the text but there isnt anything cut off, the one word that didn't fit is in the next line :thumbs:
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

NinthProphet wrote: August 16th, 2018, 11:46 am I shall stake my claim on 14, 15 and 16 for my first recording! Pseudonym NinthProphet, thank you!
Hi and welcome to librivox! You are welcome to read those sections. I have signed you up, your personal catalog page is here https://librivox.org/reader/12706

You can get started right away! Have fun and please let us know if you have any questions!
Carolin
eidolo

Post by eidolo »

Here's one. Tell me if it's too dramatic. I wasn't trying to be. Just trying to put feeling into it. I need to know what sucks so I don't mess up all my other recordings I have in line. Thank you.

Click here.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

eidolo wrote: August 17th, 2018, 7:28 pm Here's one. Tell me if it's too dramatic. I wasn't trying to be. Just trying to put feeling into it. I need to know what sucks so I don't mess up all my other recordings I have in line. Thank you.

Click here.
Well, there is no DPL assigned to this poetry book yet so I will jump in and give you some feedback.

First of all, technically, your recording is too loud. It measures 97.5 dB where we aim for 89 dB within a target range (86–92 dB). So you need to reduce the noise in your recording - some ways to do that is to under Effects, use Compression, Noise Reduction or when you go to Amplify, to enter a negative number (like -3). If you look at your recording in the Audacity window you will see that you have a lot of very high and low lines going up to 1.0 and down to -1.0. It is better to have them in the .5 to -.5 range.

Next, listening to your recording, you are speaking very fast! I would suggest slowing down a bit :) You need to make a slight pause at the end of each line please. Right now everything in a verse runs together and it is fairly hard to listen to and comprehend. Here is a recording done by Nemo and he is really good at reading poetry - https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/housesofsin_04_osullivan_128kb.mp3 Just click on it and listen to it. To answer your original question - NO, your reading is not too dramatic.

As for the beginning, you said "read for LibriVox.org" however forgot to add the "by [your name]" before reading the poem.

It seems that you are recording the poem at different times as your voice sounds different throughout the poem. Is there something I can help you with so that the recording is the same all the way through? When I am recording a poem, I say the intro, and then the poem and then the exit. When I start recording I do not stop until I have said the exit piece and left more than 5 seconds (as I like an extra buffer). If I make a mistake when recording, I just re-record the line again (or the word) and keep going. So lets say I was recording "The fox jumped over the brown fence" and I said instead "The fox jumped over the green fence" I would just continue and say either the sentence again or just "brown fence" and finish the whole recording.

Now during editing I take out the wrong things that I said (easy to do) and just leave recorded the correct parts of the poem or sentence in this case. I also trim the end down to 5 seconds and make sure the beginning is between .5 and 1 second.

The last thing that I do is run the Checker Tool which lets me know how my sound levels are among other things. Here is a link to it. If you install it and then got to File in the Checker and find the recording you just did and it will tell you whether it passed or not. It is pretty self explanatory as to how to use it I think.

Sorry for the novel! You asked for feedback :thumbs:

Please let me know if you have questions about anything that I wrote.

Oh and one last thing - in the future please just paste the link into the message instead of creating a separate link - way easier to check if the file name is correct and to download.

Lynda