COMPLETE [Ancient Greek] Anabasis, Xenophon - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
bedwere

Post by bedwere »

Anabasis by Xenophon (ca. 430 BC - 354 BC).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/anabasis-by-xenophon/

Ξενοφῶντος Κύρου Ἀνάβασις.

(Xenophon the Athenian was born 431 B.C. He was a pupil of Socrates. He marched with the Spartans, and was exiled from Athens. Sparta gave him land and property in Scillus, where he lived for many years before having to move once more, to settle in Corinth. He died in 354 B.C. "Anabasis" is a Greek word which means "journey from the coast to the center of a country." This is Xenophon's account of his march to Persia with a troop of Greek mercenaries to aid Cyrus, who enlisted Greek help to try and take the throne from his brother Artaxerxes, and the ensuing return of the Greeks, in which Xenophon played a leading role. This occurred between 401 B.C. and March 399 B.C. )
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/operaomniarecogn03xenouoft
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: 6BGkVq5n

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( Xenophon) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophon

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabasis_(Xenophon)
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 28
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    [*]Original publication date (if known):
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/War & Military; *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography/Memoirs; *Non-fiction/History /Antiquity

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================ [/size]

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Μέρος τὸ πρῶτον Ξενοφῶντος Κύρου ἀναβάσεως. Ἥδ' ἐστὶν ἠχωγραφὴ ὑπὸ τῆς Librivox κοινωνίας πεποιημένη. Πάντα δὲ τἀνταῦθα τηρούμενα ὑπάρχει τῷ κοινῷ κτήματι. Ἄν τε πλεῖον εἰδείης, ἄν τε βοηθοίης τῇ κοινωνίᾳ, εἴθε ἐπισκοποίης τὸν τοῦ διαδικτύου τόπον · Librivox στιγμή org."

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Μέρος τὸ [ἀριθμός ] Ξενοφῶντος Κύρου ἀναβάσεως. Ἥδε ἡ ἠχωγραφὴ ὑπὸ τῆς Librivox κοινωνίας πεποιημένη ὑπάρχει τῷ κοινῷ κτήματι."
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "τέλος τοῦ [ἀριθμός] μέρους"

[*]At the end of the book, say (in addition):
"τέλος Ξενοφῶντος Κύρου ἀναβάσεως." [/list]
There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename anabasis_##_xenophon_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. anabasis_01_xenophon_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Ξενοφῶν
Title: ## : [Section title]
Album: Ἀνάβασις

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: icequeen
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below
Last edited by bedwere on December 1st, 2019, 9:16 pm, edited 10 times in total.
bedwere

Post by bedwere »

Please notice that I plan to do this recording using the Erasmic pronunciation. However, I intend to pronounce the iota subscripts and observe the lengths of the vowels.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm not sure how you did it, but you've got a bunch of html code in your first post. Could you somehow get rid of it and only use bbcode?
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
bedwere

Post by bedwere »

I think it's fixed now. Maybe the problem was saving the post as a draft?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I can MC this one for you, bedwere, but I can't PL it. We can always advertise for a DPL who can listen to the project, or we can figure something else out. Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, the MW is up and ready for you! I will go ahead and advertise for a DPL for this project, but feel free to record and post your sections. I will move us in a few days to Going Solo.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
bedwere

Post by bedwere »

Many thank, Icequeen! Could I ask somebody on Textkit to join Librivox to be DPL?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Of course! If that perspective DPL'er is nervous about having to check the technical requirements, tell them not to worry about that. I will take care of that if that is the only thing standing in the way of them helping us out.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Moving on to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
bedwere

Post by bedwere »

Section 1 (26:49) is ready for PL.
xenophontic

Post by xenophontic »

I'd like to volunteer for PL. Where do I download the files, and where do I upload the notes?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Thank you! You can download the file from the Magic Window (MW), which is in the first post of this thread. The notes can just be posted to the thread itself, just like you have done for your first post. Here is the post that gives you the rundown on how to proof listen. viewtopic.php?p=318667#p318667 If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
bedwere

Post by bedwere »

Icequeen is the best, Xenophontic. You can check what kind of mistakes you can expect from me and how to report them from the ongoing thread on the recording of De Civitate Dei. Many thanks to both!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

:oops: Thanks bedwere! You make all your recordings easy and a joy to listen to! I really wish I could listen to this one as well, but Greek is not my thing. I did try Attic Greek once, but I didn't keep up with it.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
xenophontic

Post by xenophontic »

8:38 καὶ ἁθροίζει καὶ ἁθροίζει

That was the only error that I noticed listening.