[Complete] The Black Eagle Mystery by Geraldine Bonner - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lethargilistic

Post by lethargilistic »

The Black Eagle Mystery by Geraldine Bonner (1870 - 1930).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page:https://librivox.org/the-black-eagle-mystery-by-geraldine-bonner/

The Detective Conan EN community is reading this book to remember a leader and our friend, Yunnie, who died tragically a few weeks ago.
A New York corporate lawyer falls eighteen stories from the Black Eagle Building. Suicide, cops say. That Hollings Harland was part of a black organization, cornering the market on copper, and about to be exposed to the world. He had just excused himself from an acrimonious meeting with the wealthy Johnston Barker, perhaps another agent of the organization. Could Harland have defected?

Spunky part-time snoop Molly Morgenthau Babbits thinks something fishy is going on. She's opening her own informal investigation into the facts with the help of a connection on the Black Eagle's staff and suspects the worst: murder most foul! ( Mike Overby)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/35484
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
    6. Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( Geraldine Bonner) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/_Geraldine_Bonner
    7. Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    8. Number of sections (files) this project will have: 21
    9. Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    10. Original publication date (if known): 1916
    11. If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Crime & Mystery Fiction/Detective Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: murder mystery, female detective

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Black Eagle Mystery. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Dedicated to Yunnie" or a similar, short message.
      "The Black Eagle Mystery, by Geraldine Bonner. [Chapter]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Black Eagle Mystery, by Geraldine Bonner. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    blackeaglemystery_##_bonner_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. blackeaglemystery_01_bonner_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
    Artist: Geraldine Bonner
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Black Eagle Mystery

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by lethargilistic on August 9th, 2018, 6:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike
lethargilistic

Post by lethargilistic »

I haven't been recording for Librivox for very long, and I saw that the BC instructions said that could be an issue. A friend of mine died recently, and I have a group of people who knew her who are interested in recording this as a tribute to her.

They want to record because we all loved her, but even if hypothetically they did not, I am ride or die on this project. It will get done, I swear.
Mike
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

If you don't already have someone in mind, I would love to DPL this.
Last edited by jenniferrd on August 12th, 2018, 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Hi Mike
I am sorry for your loss.
I can set this project up for you.
It looks like you haven't BCd before, so I can walk you through that.
If your friends come on board, they will need to register with Librivox and complete their one minute tests.

You have set this up as a solo, but marked it as a group project in the title... which is it?
Lynne
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

OK, it's all set up.
First of all, to edit the first post, click on the pencil icon at the top right. You can edit your summary if necessary (let me know if you do) and any of the other information. You can delete the information about the ID tags if you want... they are superfluous as the system adds its own.

I would leave the file name as is, but at this point, you can edit it if you wish (it gets more complicated after files start coming in).
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Now for the Magic Window:

I have added you to the list of BCs. You will only have access to the MW in projects of which you are BC (DPLs have the same deal, but you're not on that list yet).

Here are the instructions:

Accessing the System – First Time Login
1. Use this Link to go the main login screen: http://librivox.org/workflow
2. Click on Login (for BCs & MCs)
3. Enter your forum username.
4. Click “Forgot Password” (Note: If you had a password in the old Magic Window system, that old BC login for the Magic Window will not work here!!!)
5. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. Click the link and enter a password and submit the form.
6. Go back to the main login screen and use the new password you entered above to log in to the system.
7. When you log in from the main screen above, you will be taken to the LibriVox Management Dashboard default screen where you should see a list of your active projects along with options for dropdown menus, searching and editing your profile. (more on this later)
For more explicit step by step directions with screen shots, please see Accessing the System - First Time Login
NOTE: BCs should use their personal workflow login to upload files. If you recently logged in with the general login to upload files to a project and the system still had you logged in, you may see this:
You don't have permissions for this area.
Return to Librivox Management Tool Homepage
Logout
To remedy this, click Logout and then login with your BC login and password.

From <http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=BC%27s:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window>

Just an observation: it doesn't always work first time. If you continue having problems, PM knotyouraveragejo
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Filling in the MW:

The title column is for the chapter title. This book doesn't have titles, so continue filling it in as I started. Just hit enter after each one.

The reader column -- as you set this up as a solo, you are listed as the reader for every section. if that needs to be changed, I can walk you through that at the time.

In the notes column, put the time of each file here. For a solo, there is no need for word counts. There is a maximum time for each section of about 72 minutes, so if it turns out a section is longer than that, it will need to be split in two. You need to hit save for this column.

Listen URL column -- paste the link from the uploader here. The Link column is automatically populated.

The Status column is a dropdown menu. Just select Ready for PL or Ready for Spot PL as appropriate. This triggers a notification for the DPL.
lethargilistic

Post by lethargilistic »

Lynnet wrote: August 9th, 2018, 10:34 am Hi Mike
I am sorry for your loss.
I can set this project up for you.
It looks like you haven't BCd before, so I can walk you through that.
Thank you so much.
Lynnet wrote: August 9th, 2018, 10:34 am If your friends come on board, they will need to register with Librivox and complete their one minute tests.
That's the plan! One was already a member, but hasn't recorded before. The others are starting the registration process. ^^
Lynnet wrote: August 9th, 2018, 10:34 am You have set this up as a solo, but marked it as a group project in the title... which is it?
Lynne
I meant to select Group, not Solo. ~~I hope that can be fixed. :x~~ (Remade it with the generator. ^^;)

I do intend to do the audio editing for the people who can't, though. I'm not sure if that would make a difference.
Mike
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Well, it looks like you got in to the MW :thumbs:

You also worked out the reader column :thumbs: :thumbs: (that fools a lot of people, especially when removing names)

No need to re-generate. The main thing is the introduction, but I will edit that for you.

As the project stands, it is open to other readers. If you're OK with that, that's fine. If you want it as a closed group, you should populate all chapters with either your or your friends' names.
lethargilistic

Post by lethargilistic »

OK! I'll be regularly producing from now on. ^^

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/blackeaglemystery_01_bonner_128kb.mp3 (15:21)
Mike
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Off to a roaring start! :clap: :clap:

There are just a few corrections to make:
3:05 - 3:08 - "When he gave that hello" is repeated twice.
6:45.5 - Missing text, the name Johnston Barker is omitted
7:13 - Text reads "Harland seems to have had a scene in his office with Johnston Barker in the afternoon"
I hear "Harland seems to have had a scene in his house with Johnston Barker in the afternoon."
7:51 - Text reads "While so occupied they say they heard the men"
I hear "While so occupied they had heard the men" - I'll leave this one up to you if you want to change it, as the meaning is the same.
9:06 - I think when you were recording this, you corrected it, and there is a double sound,
not sure how to describe it. It's on the line: Jerome dashed into the hall window
and throwing it up (between window and throwing it up), also the text is a little different, it reads
Dashed to the hall window - since you're probably going to rerecord that part, might as well change it as the
meaning is a little unclear if he ran into the window or just to it. :lol:
One additional note, if you can, please add the time to your submissions. That is so I know how long to set aside for PL'ing.
Last edited by jenniferrd on August 27th, 2018, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

jenniferrd wrote: August 27th, 2018, 7:15 am One additional note, if you can, please add the time to your submissions. That is so I know how long to set aside for PL'ing.
This is also part of our validation process.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

If you are doing this as a solo rather than a group project, there is an optional introduction for future chapters:

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
"Chapter [number] of The Black Eagle Mystery by Geraldine Bonner. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Only if applicable, say:
"[Chapter title]"
lethargilistic

Post by lethargilistic »

jenniferrd wrote: August 27th, 2018, 7:15 am Off to a roaring start! :clap: :clap:

There are just a few corrections to make:
3:05 - 3:08 - "When he gave that hello" is repeated twice.
6:45.5 - Missing text, the name Johnston Barker is omitted
7:13 - Text reads "Harland seems to have had a scene in his office with Johnston Barker in the afternoon"
I hear "Harland seems to have had a scene in his house with Johnston Barker in the afternoon."
7:51 - Text reads "While so occupied they say they heard the men"
I hear "While so occupied they had heard the men" - I'll leave this one up to you if you want to change it, as the meaning is the same.
9:06 - I think when you were recording this, you corrected it, and there is a double sound,
not sure how to describe it. It's on the line: Jerome dashed into the hall window
and throwing it up (between window and throwing it up), also the text is a little different, it reads
Dashed to the hall window - since you're probably going to rerecord that part, might as well change it as the
meaning is a little unclear if he ran into the window or just to it. :lol:
One additional note, if you can, please add the time to your submissions. That is so I know how long to set aside for PL'ing.
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/blackeaglemystery_01_bonner_128kb.mp3 (Length: 15:21)

3:05 - Single "hello"
7:13 - house -> office
7:51 - Changed it!
9:06 - Rerecorded it. I swear, weird things like that make me feel llike I'm crazy for letting them through, hahaha.

The time is at the end of the link.
Mike
lethargilistic

Post by lethargilistic »

Lynnet wrote: August 27th, 2018, 8:50 am If you are doing this as a solo rather than a group project
It's still a group project. Participation has dwindled because of follow-through problems, as (cynically) expected, but I still have at least one person who wants to share the work and needs to apply feedback on her One Minute Test. ^^
Mike