[COMPLETE]SOLO [FINNISH] Merirosvo by Frederick Marryat - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kalilei wrote: June 20th, 2018, 6:34 am I thought that only BCs, not PLers, had access to MW. But it seems I can edit it so I can do this in the future.
as DPL you have access. Only if you PL an occasional section but not the whole thing, you are not allowed yet to meddle ;) I have made you DPL, so you can change the status yourself.

Sonia
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

Uploaded chapters 4-7.

I have studied Audacity on youtube lately, I have learnt plenty of new tricks. For example at the end part of the chapter 5, where there's a letter read, I made the reading sound like "thinking voice". :thumbs:
Kalilei wrote: June 19th, 2018, 10:32 am Another note to Harr1. Pronunciation on some of the non-Finnish words and names was a bit off. Nothing major but in case you want to brush up on foreign words for future recordings, I have found that forvo.com is an excellent help!
Thanks for the tip! I haven't paid any attention on that before.
Kalilei

Post by Kalilei »

I listened to section 4. Good work, only some discrepancies from the text:

5:45 "luuletko" should be "luuletteko"
7:58 "pumppaamisesta" should be "pumppuamisesta"
8:12 "yhteenpuristettuina" should be "yhteenpuserrettuina"
8:52 missing the word "herra"
10:19 "pumpata" should be "pumputa"
10:32 "pumppaaminen" should be "pumppuaminen"

Let me know, Harr1, if you want me to keep track of these minor mistakes. I know the PL was requested standard, not word perfect but I find it nicer to read the text while I listen, so it's the same for me.

Another note: at the beginning of each section you say "suomentanut Kaarlo Kramsu", when the text in the opening post is "kääntänyt Kaarlo Kramsu". It is fine each way of course but maybe you want to edit the first post?
Looking for a narrator for a dramatic reading of the Finnish epic KALEVALA
Kalilei

Post by Kalilei »

Listened to Section 5. The following are things that should be fixed as the changes either change the case into one not grammatically correct, or there are additional words not present in text:

8:22 "minun" should be "minua"
8:59 "kiitollisen" should be "kiitollinen"
14:16 additional word "ja"
17:13 additional word "allekirjoittanut"

Also, I found these minor mistakes you can fix if you wish:

4:17 "tarvitse" should be "tarvitsekaan"
5:12 "ymmärrätkö" should be "ymmärrättekö"
12:24 "sopivammalla" should be "sopivimmalla"
16:26 "mahdoton" should be "mahdotonta"
Kalilei

Post by Kalilei »

Section 6 PL ok! Only minor thing was at 03:02 "vaikkapa" should be "vaikka". You can change this if you wish. I will mark this section done though.
Kalilei

Post by Kalilei »

Listened to Section 7. Quality work as always! Only two hitches:

7:58 "tietoa" should be "tietoja"
24:01 "kymmenen" should be "kymmenennen"

Second one should be fixed as the meaning of the word is changed and the sentence is not grammatically correct. The first you can fix if you feel pedantic ;)

There were some almost-too-long pauses between paragraphs. Keep an eye on them in the future, a little shorter would probably make the story flow better for the listener,
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

Let's see. I have this week allocated for this project. I try to get done as much as possible, since the few weeks after this I'm going to be busy on other things.
Kalilei wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 3:17 am Let me know, Harr1, if you want me to keep track of these minor mistakes. I know the PL was requested standard, not word perfect but I find it nicer to read the text while I listen, so it's the same for me.
Absolutely yes! I like it when I can fully decide if mistakes, even minor ones, needs to be corrected. And since there isn't much extra work for your part, so keep them coming!

Another note: at the beginning of each section you say "suomentanut Kaarlo Kramsu", when the text in the opening post is "kääntänyt Kaarlo Kramsu". It is fine each way of course but maybe you want to edit the first post?
Yes, it's probably easier edit the first post, than record & edit the whole case again.
There were some almost-too-long pauses between paragraphs. Keep an eye on them in the future, a little shorter would probably make the story flow better for the listener,
I did a little research on pauses between sentences; I imported few commercial audiobooks on Audacity and observed pause-intervals in them. I concluded that I have left maybe too little space between sentences on my earlier projects. So I decided to lengthen pauses, also pauses between paragraphs. Maybe too much, since I earlier already had longer pauses between paragraphs than sentences.
Kalilei

Post by Kalilei »

That is dedication regarding the pauses! It is good to think about these things. I have had the feeling I read a little too fast but haven't looked into so much. I think your reading was nicely spaced in the earlier sections, just in that one it felt that some pauses were a little long.
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

Harr1 wrote: July 9th, 2018, 2:22 pm Let's see. I have this week allocated for this project.
I have spent my week on all other things, but not on Librivox :? . And tomorrow I leave to small weekend vacation. I marked prject completion date at the end of September. It's still possible, I just have try to find time somewhere :hmm: .
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

Is it possible to edit the files that have already passed proof-listening process? :hmm:
I looked into this project after a semi-long break, and those too long pauses between paragraphs started to really troubling me. Truth is that the listener can't really tell when there is a paragraph change. So I would like to cut them to little shorter. I would only edit empty parts of the tracks, so would we need to proof-listen them again?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Harr1 wrote: July 26th, 2018, 2:10 pm Is it possible to edit the files that have already passed proof-listening process? :hmm:
I looked into this project after a semi-long break, and those too long pauses between paragraphs started to really troubling me. Truth is that the listener can't really tell when there is a paragraph change. So I would like to cut them to little shorter. I would only edit empty parts of the tracks, so would we need to proof-listen them again?
To be on the safe side, yes, I as DPL would always prooflisten as soon as there have been some changes done. You can easily cut out part of the sentence when you cut out some silence. Mistakes happen.

So to make it easy for your DPL please note down all the time-stamps where you cut out some silence. Then the DPL can check around those seconds and see if the sentences are still there. Also that the new file re-uploaded correctly and all that.

Sonia
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

I have now completed and uploaded chapters 1-11. Can you Kalilei listen chapters 1-7 again? :) Since I made also small repairs on few spots at each chapter, in addition to paragraph spacing. And since there is only play/pause button and very unsublte timeline for pl:er to use, I consider it is much easier to just pl them from begin to end.

Repairs I made: I noticed that in some cases, at the end of sentence, my voice "dries up", or gets cut-off bit too soon, silence starts too steeply. So I corrected few of the worst cases. Reason is the way I speak, but other reason is "Noise Reduction" (which eliminates background hum) and "Noise Gate" (for taking breathing sounds away) audacity effects, which I used first time in this project. They work like magic, I can't imagine how I survived before discovering them! I just need to play around with these tools before upcoming projects, to find right settings for me.

And here is list of actual mistakes I decided to correct. New position is in parenthesis.

SECTION 4
8:52 missing the word "herra" (8:42)

SECTION 5
8:22 "minun" should be "minua" (8:16)
8:59 "kiitollisen" should be "kiitollinen" (8:52)
12:24 "sopivammalla" should be "sopivimmalla" (12:16)
14:16 additional word "ja" (14:07)
17:13 additional word "allekirjoittanut" (17:00)

SECTION 7
24:01 "kymmenen" should be "kymmenennen" (23:33)

Rest of the mistakes not listed here, I ignored, since they were not fatal.

And, just to inform kalilei, in chapter 11 there is this spot..:

SECTION 11
21:10 ohjat = olijat

..which was obviously Project Gutenberg -mistake.

P.S. I finally corrected disclaimer on the 1st post too, now it is right.
Kalilei

Post by Kalilei »

Can you make a list of all the corrections, please? I use an app to download and listen the files and it allows easy scrolling. I'd prefer not to have to listen to the entire files again.

Noise reducrion is essential for me. Have you tried the "select noise profile" feature. With that I feel basic settings have been fine. Have to check out Noise gate though.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I have checked the technical settings with Checker for Chapters 1-11 and can confirm that they are all correct for LV standards. I will note down in the MW which sections I have already checked. So in case there are errors and uploads still, please make a note, then I re-check ther re-uploaded chapters only.

Sonia
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

Kalilei wrote: August 9th, 2018, 11:49 pm Can you make a list of all the corrections, please? I use an app to download and listen the files and it allows easy scrolling.
OK will do, if it's easier that way.
Have to check out Noise gate though.
Here is good video about Noise Gate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKMLI97QyRY