COMPLETE: The American Book of The Dog -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: July 24th, 2018, 8:40 pm Subject: fox terrier chap 22

There is a huge multi-page linage chart which I don't know how to record.
I'm inclined to say only "And here in the original is found a family tree of this breed". and leave it at that.

Please give me your guidance.

I don't know how to include a JPG image in this message otherwise I'd show you what I'm talking about.
I think you can skip the chart, or say something like what you suggested above. Some print material just doesn't translate into audio, and we leave it to the readers discretion to incorporate it as best they can.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Bill. I know what I'll be listening to tomorrow!
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 22

Checker reports overall volume at 86.9, within LV range, but closer inspection and listening shows that at about 24:02, volume drops considerably -3 to -4 for most of the remainder of the file. My recommendation to ensure the whole file is in range would be to amplify the whole file +1 or 1.5, then increase from 24:02 to end, by an additional +2.

All else checked out fine. Thank you for taking on the Fox Terrier. It was a long, tedious read, well done, with a complex and interesting history.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_22_various_128kb.mp3 46.49 KB 49:35

With volume adjustments per your suggestions below.
Checker reports overall volume at 86.9, within LV range, but closer inspection and listening shows that at about 24:02, volume drops considerably -3 to -4 for most of the remainder of the file. My recommendation to ensure the whole file is in range would be to amplify the whole file +1 or 1.5, then increase from 24:02 to end, by an additional +2.

I am very grateful for your counsel and advice, MsFry. The quality of the LV product is significantly improved by your high standards and attention to detail.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 22 is PL OK. Bravo, Mr. Jones! :thumbs:
sturnellabird

Post by sturnellabird »

msfry

Post by msfry »

sturnellabird wrote: August 4th, 2018, 4:50 pm I've recorded section 43:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_43_various_128kb.mp3
duration: 19:43
Ah, how thrilling! Your first recording. I look forward to listening very soon, hopefully tomorrow evening.
sturnellabird

Post by sturnellabird »

Wonderful! I am a bit nervous; I've realized perfectionism and narration are difficult to reconcile.
msfry

Post by msfry »

sturnellabird wrote: August 5th, 2018, 11:09 am Wonderful! I am a bit nervous; I've realized perfectionism and narration are difficult to reconcile.
Not at all, if you follow this system. Turn your recording software on and start reading, beginning with the Intro. If you make a mistake, repeat it until you get the phrase right then continue. Pause as needed to read ahead, take a sip of coffee, etc, but try to record the whole piece in one sitting. The goal is to have it all captured correctly eventually, while in the same place, mood, and time of day. Then, using the editing techniques shown in our Wiki (upper menu bar) under Instructional Videos/Editing Tips (down the page), snip out the bad bits. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Instructional_Videos

And there you are. Perfection!

The first thing is to set realistic goals. It usually takes a lot longer to edit than it does to lay down track, and even the very best readers have stumbles and errors to remove, and adjust their spacing, tempo, and volume a bit as they fine tune. I record during the quiet part of my day, which isn't very long, then edit later when things are noisier and I get interrupted a lot. I can send you more tips via PM if you are interested, and am glad to help you get started.
sturnellabird

Post by sturnellabird »

You sound like you have good standards; I often listen to audiobooks and hear one sentence that's been punched in later with an entirely different mic placement and mood, and I wonder why they feel that's good enough. But then again, it's perfectly intelligible. Still, I don't want my reading to have those obvious breaks. I've noticed that when I correct a sentence a few seconds after the first read, I seem to take a deep breath and talk louder, and then I try to play with automation to make it sound seamless, and choose the right breath or splice in a breath from somewhere else. That's just perfectionism from musical instincts, but surely the standards are different for a 20 minute recording that will only be heard once, as opposed to a 5 minute song that will be heard over and over. I'm also used to recording much shorter things that are only a minute or so long, so the recording is the long part, and then I get to choose the right take. So indeed, I'm not used to editing taking longer than recording!

I think I just need to find where to draw the line of quality. Though I think in general, sound is a good field for perfectionists to exercise their neuroses. I think I ought to listen to other books now that I've recorded something, to get a feel for where other people draw that line. I'm certainly open to more tips; I always want to improve.
msfry

Post by msfry »

sturnellabird wrote: August 7th, 2018, 8:21 amI think I just need to find where to draw the line of quality. Though I think in general, sound is a good field for perfectionists to exercise their neuroses.
:lol: :lol: :lol: How true!

Acccording to LV's long term mission, as long as it is intelligible, it is PL OK. What I've been told is "the reader sets their own standards". I think I set my standards pretty high, partially to make up for the fact that I have no professional training, hopefully to not turn off the pickier listener, and surely out of respect for the author I am representing. Thus, I ask for crits/comments via that CC in my signature. You can too (in your Control Panel). I also carefully proof my own work before I submit it for proofing by a second ear, who still to my amazement catches errors I completely missed. Feathering in nearly seamless corrections is a learnable skill. I am still perfecting the process.

Some of my friends say they have tried Librivox but can't endure the poor quality, as is likely true of many passers-by. We'll never know whom we have lost. That makes me sad. FREE is not enough. We have to pray our referrals encounter a good project at the start, of which I can attest there are many. My first few experiences were extremely positive or I would likely not be here.

There is a difference between quality and perfection, however. I have come to prefer something that sounds relaxed and conversational to precise recitation. Breathing, some mouth noises as in normal speech, some strangely placed hesitations (think of Garrison Keeler), I have come to enjoy. They keep me engaged with the reader, their unique personality shines through. Strangely pronounced words I have come to accept. Less than studio quality sound my ear adjusts to. Extremes of pace (fast or slow), lots of clacking or hissing in the background, any accent I have to toil constantly to comprehend, I skip over, and pray it isn't an important chapter of a book. But that doesn't happen often.

Well, I have talked your ear off. But I enjoyed your comments. Now let's get recording!
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 43 - Italian Greyhound

Wow Natalia. That was awesome! No worries about "perfection" here. I'm marking your FIRST RECORDING PL A-OK. :thumbs:

Here are a few stars for you. Image

Just a note: Checker reports your Volume 86.2, very close to the bottom end of LV's range. You might wish to set up your software, or your mike, to record future files at a slightly higher volume, or grab your whole file and raise the volume + 3 before saving. (You can do it on this one too if you want to, just repair and upload and let me know so I can double-check.)
Last edited by msfry on August 14th, 2018, 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 2 is uploaded - English Setter

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_02_various_128kb.mp3 54:37

Nuria, are you still available to PL for me?