Post by TriciaG »

Thanks, Philip!
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Tricia,

You've seen this on the other projects we're both on, but just so everyone knows why if they don't get as prompt proofing as usual, I'm going to be traveling for the month of August and might not get to sections posted then until September.

Best wishes to all.
Pattymarie
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Pattymarie:

Have a great trip. I'll have my section finished probably in a week or so, but I can wait until your return.

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Tricia and Pattie Marie:

I have managed to get through all of the Preface...except that there are three sections writing completely in Arabic which I do not read nor speak. I can manage a transliteration in Roman letters, but my pronunciation is marginal.

Section 1 I'm not so concerned about because it is followed by an English translation of the Arabic (see p. xvi--last three lines above the footnote).

Section 2 is on p. xvii about 10 lines down...the relevant sentence is "This part is prefaced by these words [here is the Arabic]. "

Section 3 is in the sentence that follows section 2, but it has an English translation of the Arabic following in the same manner as Section 1.

Section 1 and 3 sound ok skipping the Arabic for the English translation. But there is no translation for section 2.

:help:

Many thanks,

Philip
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

DrPGould wrote: July 28th, 2018, 5:13 pm Tricia and Pattie Marie:

I have managed to get through all of the Preface...except that there are three sections writing completely in Arabic which I do not read nor speak. I can manage a transliteration in Roman letters, but my pronunciation is marginal.

Section 1 I'm not so concerned about because it is followed by an English translation of the Arabic (see p. xvi--last three lines above the footnote).

Section 2 is on p. xvii about 10 lines down...the relevant sentence is "This part is prefaced by these words [here is the Arabic]. "

Section 3 is in the sentence that follows section 2, but it has an English translation of the Arabic following in the same manner as Section 1.

Section 1 and 3 sound ok skipping the Arabic for the English translation. But there is no translation for section 2.

:help:

Many thanks,

Philip
My advice is to just do the English translations and not worry about the untranslated Arabic portion. If Tricia sees fit, we might "advertise" for an Arabic speaking volunteer to translate those portions,but I doubt that that's necessary. A note might be added to the summary that only the parts with English translation are recorded. Let's defer to Tricia for the definitive word on this.

Thanks for being so conscientious and for your good wishes for my trip.
Pattymarie
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Well, if our "we don't change the text" policy stands, we'll need to keep the Arabic in the recording. Leaving out the Arabic in this case would change the preface more than a "see figure 1" omission would do.

I think it would be best to ask for help on the Arabic portions - either ask for someone to record them to insert into the recording, or to record them as pronunciation help. "Need Help? Got Advice?" would be the place to do that.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Thanks Tricia and Pattie Marie:

I have posted on the relevant board a request for help. I'm certain we will get a response. If we don't by the time of my next check up (late Aug) I'll take it to my MD--a native of Cairo who studied medicine in Alexandria and Johns Hopkins. (Or if someone else wants to take on the section, I'll willingly surrender it.

Ever forward,

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Tricia and Pattie Marie:

I have received the help I requested. I'll be moving forward with the reading, and while I'm at it, I'll claim Section 14 (which has Arabic only in the notes).

Many thanks,

Philip
rahulg1995

Post by rahulg1995 »

TriciaG wrote: May 15th, 2018, 12:41 pm I'll put you in. Thanks!
Hi TriciaG, I am almost done with section 6.

However, I wouldn't be able to read out the section 7. I hope you can remove my name from section 7.

I will post section 6 in 2 days.

Thank You
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

TriciaG wrote: June 13th, 2018, 5:53 am Added claim and moved to Readers Found! (Although SaraHale claimed over 5 months ago, so she could be removed as claimant of the preface.)
Hello,
I would like to apologize for my disappearance from LibriVox. And for not completing the section I claimed. A lot of things happen in my life (My mum had an eye surgery). So, I wasn't able to be online on LibriVox. I know I should have informed you. Please forgive me. I promise to be a better volunteer in the future.

Thanks for your understanding.
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

SaraHale wrote: September 9th, 2018, 11:03 am
Hello,
I would like to apologize for my disappearance from LibriVox. And for not completing the section I claimed. A lot of things happen in my life (My mum had an eye surgery). So, I wasn't able to be online on LibriVox. I know I should have informed you. Please forgive me. I promise to be a better volunteer in the future.

Thanks for your understanding.

Welcome back, Sara. Don't feel badly. Things like that happen in life. I hope your mother's eye surgery went well and she is all right now.

The section formerly assigned to you has been claimed by someone else now, but there are plenty of projects to help with. This is one of them in short little sections that don't demand a huge commitment from people with heavy real life demands. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=71504
Pattymarie
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

pattymarie wrote: September 9th, 2018, 12:16 pm Welcome back, Sara. Don't feel badly. Things like that happen in life. I hope your mother's eye surgery went well and she is all right now.

The section formerly assigned to you has been claimed by someone else now, but there are plenty of projects to help with. This is one of them in short little sections that don't demand a huge commitment from people with heavy real life demands. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=71504
Thank you, Pattymarie, for your kind words. Yes, she is getting better. I hope she'll fully recover soon. That's okay! Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out. I hope that I can work with you very soon. :D
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

SaraHale wrote: September 9th, 2018, 12:23 pm I hope that I can work with you very soon. :D
Looking forward to it. :)
Pattymarie
Mayah92

Post by Mayah92 »

Hi,

Here is section 03 - time : 34min 55secs

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/travelsof_03_battuta_128kb.mp3

Bye
Let's give Peace a chance. :wink:
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Section 3 is PL OK. Thank you, Mayah. :)
Pattymarie