COMPLETE Open The Door by Catherine Carswell - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Open The Door by Catherine Carswell (1879 - 1946).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here: https://librivox.org/open-the-door-by-catherine-carswell/
This award winning book tells the coming of age story of Joanna Bannerman. Considered largely autobiographical, it shows Joanna with all her complexities and contradictions, some of which are faced by women almost 100 years later. Perfect for those who love sharp and whitty novels. (Stav Nisser.)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/opendooranovel00carsgoog
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

============================================

Genres for the project: romance, general fiction, family drama, young adults

Keywords that describe the book: family drama, femenist fiction

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of Open The Door . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Open The Door , by Catherine Carswell . Book [number], Chapter [number], Part [number] (if applicable, see the title column in the MW). Then, say the number of first part of your reading and start reading.

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section [number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Open The Door , by Catherine Carswell . "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      openthedoor_##_carswell_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. openthedoor_01_carswell_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags - NO NEED TO ADD ID3 TAGS
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: Catherine Carswell
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: Open The Door

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kathrinee
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below or pm me
Last edited by miss stav on August 20th, 2018, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

I can MC this project. I'll be back with a MW

ETA:

There we go! Please let me know if you want a hand with anything ~smile~
Kathrine
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi Kathrine,
I am glad to work with you again. This time, I would need you to set up the magic window, because the etext is not fully accessible. But don't worry, a number of page appears close by, usualy before the beginning of a chapter I think. There are a few "books" and in each one the chapter numbers restart. So it would need to be book x chapter x. I would also love it if you can make sure I counted the sections correctly. I counted 4 times and still don't trust myself. Thanks in advance,
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

I am starting on the MW now. A rough estimate of words show that some chapters are too long to be one section. Every chapter is divided into sub-chapters, marked by I, II, III, etc. I will divide the chapters that are clearly too long into different sections. ~smile~

ETA:
Done! I edited the intro / outro a little, trying to make it not confusing, both for readers and prospective listeners. Please have a look and decide if it is ok with you the way it is, or if you'd like to change anything
Kathrine
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Wow, you are a star. Thank you ever so much. It looks lovely.
Stav.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Great - smile -

Let's stay here a day or two, maybe a DPL will come along
Kathrine
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Let's move to Readers Wanted: Books :9:
Kathrine
BaderHasan

Post by BaderHasan »

Hi, I'm interested in this book. I'd like to read section 1 if it's possible.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi,
of course it is possible. Seciion 1 is all yours.
Stav.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

MW is updated
Kathrine
jenno

Post by jenno »

Could I claim Chapter 2 please ?

Jennifer
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Sure. All yours.
Forbes

Post by Forbes »

Hi all. I would like to be the DPL, if the position is still available. Thanks.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Wow, that would be so lovely. Thank you so so much.
Stav.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Welcome, Forbes! I have entered you in the system now, here is your reader's/prooflistener's page in the catalog: https://librivox.org/reader/12715. You can use it to keep track of projects you have signed up to prooflisten to, or if you intend to record and make claims. I used your forum name as your catalog name, but if you'd like that changed, I can do so. *big smile*

Now you will be able to log into the Magic Window (MW) in the first post to keep it up to date after prooflistening. Here is a document showing how to log into the MW for the first time: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs. Here are more general instructions and info for DPLs (and Book Coordinators, BCs): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ.

Please let us know if you run into any trouble!
Kathrine