[Complete] Mary Schweidler, the Amber Witch by Meinhold -ck/lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Mary Schweidler, the Amber Witch by Wilhelm Meinhold (1797 - 1851)
Translated by Lucie Duff-Gordon (1821 - 1869)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/mary-schweidler-the-amber-witch-by-wilhelm-meinhold/

Wilhelm Meinhold, a Pomeranian priest working on the Island of Usedom, relates the story of Mary Schweidler, the Amber Witch. The author assures us that the story he has to tell is based on a manuscript he found in the parish church, originally written by a previous pastor named Abraham Schweidler. Schweidler chronicles how his own daughter Mary was trapped and accused of witchcraft. ( Carolin)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8743
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog. Please note that the book starts at Chapter seven. Please make sure you make it clear which section you are claiming when posting. Thank you!

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of Mary Schweidler, the Amber Witch. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Mary Schweidler, the Amber Witch, by Wilhelm Meinhold, translated by Lucie Duff-Gordon. [Chapter number/title]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section [number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Mary Schweidler, the Amber Witch, by Wilhelm Meinhold, translated by Lucie Duff-Gordon. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      amberwitch_##_meinhold_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. amberwitch_01_meinhold_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags (just leave those blank!)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
      Any questions?
      Please post below
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

this is an extremely interesting book with a very cool backstory (it was basically written to annoy the authors critics) :)

all readers and a dpl are most welcome!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Off we go to readers wanted :thumbs:
Carolin
TreyHouck

Post by TreyHouck »

Hello there!

I would like to claim Section 1 for the purposes of reading. This is my first time reading for Librivox, so in the Librivox Catalogue I would like to go as "Trey Houck".

Is there a specific style you'd like me to read in or am I fine to go with what I think is best?
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hi trey, welcome to librivox!

you are welcome to read that section. I have signed you up, your personal catalog page is here: https://librivox.org/reader/12653

you can get started right away! have fun and please let us know if you need any help.

regarding the reading style, this is entirely up to you. i would recommend a natural style though ;)
Carolin
TreyHouck

Post by TreyHouck »

Alright, so here is my first draft. I attempted doing some basic edits and noise reduction, but I will probably need a proof-listener to pick-up on anything I missed.

Cheers! :thumbs:
16 Minutes 11 Seconds
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/amberwitch_01_meinhold_128kb.mp3
Last edited by TreyHouck on July 20th, 2018, 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :thumbs:

How long is the recording? Please remember to always post the duration of a recording when you post a link so that i can update the magic window :) thank you!
Carolin
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Trey,
Welcome to LV!

Lovely reading. Thank you for your work.

There are a few corrections needed for your section. If you have any questions about my notes or how to make the corrections, please post in the thread. We have lots of resources and can point you to the ones that would prove most helpful.

0:25 Please delete the chapter one
The initial post instructions can be a little confusing for when there is a preface or introduction. Since this isn’t chapter one, please leave it as Preface and Introduction

4:45 Please delete two. See my Pl note for 9:25-9:57. If you wish, two may be replaced with Footnote: It is my intention to publish this trial also, as it possesses very great psychological interest. End footnote

6:01 missing text - It was not until very soon before the Reformation, that Innocent VIII. lamented that the complaints of universal Christendom against the evil practices of these women had become so general and so loud, that the most vigorous measures must be taken against them; and towards the end of the year 1489, he caused the notorious Hammer for Witches (Malleus Maleficarum) to be published, according to which proceedings were set on foot with the most fanatical zeal,

8:36 missing text – 4th. The specification of the whole income of the church at Coserow, before and during the terrible times of the Thirty Years' War.

9:25 – 9:57 Unless the BC directs otherwise footnotes generally are not read unless they are of particular interest. When they are read they should be read with the associated text.
Example: The aged and half-blind pastor had mistaken the folio for old parochial accounts which could be of no more use to any one. Footnote: The original manuscript does indeed contain several accounts which at first sight may have led to this mistake; besides, the handwriting is extremely difficult to read, and in several places the paper is discoloured and decayed. End footnote.
Please remove the reading of the footnotes or place them within the text. If you place them in the text please be sure to list the timestamps so we can spot PL your corrections. Current timestamps are 1) 2:38, 2) 4:45, 3) 5:53 4) 8:25.
If this were my reading I might include footnotes 1 and 2 but would definitely omit 3 and 4. As I said earlier though, unless the BC has indicated, footnotes are up to the reader.

9:57 missing section heading – Introduction The origin of our biographer cannot…

13:55 repeat - Methought when I married them that it would not turn out over well, seeing that she was in common report of having long lived in unchastity with Wittich Appelmann, who had ever been an arch-rogue, and especially an arrant whoremaster, and such the Lord never blesses.

16:08 missing ending – "End of Section one"

Please noise clean the file.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you so much linny! :thumbs:
Carolin
Annalisa56

Post by Annalisa56 »

Good morning Carolin!
May I claim 17 How my poor child was taken up as a witch?
Thank you,
AnnaLisa56
Now everyone, big or little, has a story.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you!
Carolin
Annalisa56

Post by Annalisa56 »

HI Carolin!
Here is section 12:
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/amberwitch_12_meinhold_128kb.mp3. 11:24.70
My husband always listens to my recordings right before I send them. He asked What happens to the daughter? I told him he would have to read the book! :wink:
Thank you
AnnaLisa56
Now everyone, big or little, has a story.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you so much :D

Maybe you can convince your husband to record a chapter for us :lol:
Carolin
linny

Post by linny »

AnnaLisa,
Great work on section 12. PL OK.

I agree with your husband. What happens next?
suebradlee

Post by suebradlee »

Hello. I am also new to Librivox and would like to read chapters 7 and 8. I can go by SueBradlee. Hope to have both done by the weekend. Thanks!