COMPLETE[PLAY]Trelawny of the Wells by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SusanFerman

Post by SusanFerman »

Thanks Sonia. The reading is the easy part. Its the tech stuff I am still trying to get the hang of. Slowly--but I am learning a lot from you guys!
Susan Ferman
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I was going to post this last night, but in my final edit, I found a missing line, and a few muffs. I hope I got them all. I recorded all of the preliminary material.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/trelawnyofthewells_stagedirection_1_128kb.mp3 26:07
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote: July 26th, 2018, 9:56 am I was going to post this last night, but in my final edit, I found a missing line, and a few muffs. I hope I got them all. I recorded all of the preliminary material.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/trelawnyofthewells_stagedirection_1_128kb.mp3 26:07
26 minutes !!! :shock: Pinero has struck again.

I will not have time for those tonight anymore, but will check them tomorrow morning

Thanks !

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote: July 26th, 2018, 9:56 amI was going to post this last night, but in my final edit, I found a missing line, and a few muffs. I hope I got them all. I recorded all of the preliminary material.
ok sorry for taking so long, but this morning was a bit busy. But I finally listened to it all and you did a great job again by bringing real life into the stage directions. I especially loved the celebrations, applause and loud cheers at the end, which you really conveyed well. :thumbs:

That said, I still found two missing lines ;) But considering it was 26 minutes, there were really not many that you missed !

> at 0:04: well you forgot the cast list in the beginnning. "The persons of the play", as it's named on one of the images before the text. Maybe you could stick to the layout and start with "Theatrical Folk - Tom Wrench, read by.... etc till "Non-Theatrical Folk - Vice-Chancellor Sir William Gower, Knight.... etc" Maybe we could include the list like this with all the specific designations "...of the Bagnigge Wells Theatre" etc I know many of the readers haven't read this as it was not specified in the MW, but it might sound good if the Narrator adds them. Todd, any thoughts ?

> at 2:02: "pointing the chastening moral" - you say "chastising", which is a bit of a difference

> at about 13:32: missing line: "Retreating and talking under his breath."

> at about 20:42: missing line: "Gadd, to Imogen"

Maybe best start at the end, as the Cast list will disturb the whole time-stamps !

Great job, Larry, thanks !

Todd, there is something else I noticed. This "voice" at the end of act 1, I was wondering if that wasn't some servant from Arthur Gower's household, who is supposed to bring the couple to Sir William on time, since she is starting her trial period there at that point. It would explain why Rose feels so weak that she has to leave now. My point being, could we make "Charles, the butler", who appears in Act 2, say this line, then we would have need of one reader less :hmm:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: July 27th, 2018, 4:48 am
> at 0:04: well you forgot the cast list in the beginning. "The persons of the play", as it's named on one of the images before the text. Maybe you could stick to the layout and start with "Theatrical Folk - Tom Wrench, read by.... etc till "Non-Theatrical Folk - Vice-Chancellor Sir William Gower, Knight.... etc" Maybe we could include the list like this with all the specific designations "...of the Bagnigge Wells Theatre" etc I know many of the readers haven't read this as it was not specified in the MW, but it might sound good if the Narrator adds them. Todd, any thoughts ?

Todd, there is something else I noticed. This "voice" at the end of act 1, I was wondering if that wasn't some servant from Arthur Gower's household, who is supposed to bring the couple to Sir William on time, since she is starting her trial period there at that point. It would explain why Rose feels so weak that she has to leave now. My point being, could we make "Charles, the butler", who appears in Act 2, say this line, then we would have need of one reader less :hmm:

Sonia
I like the suggestion for the cast list. And if Larry does the character names and designations in this format, then we don't need to track down all the readers to add the words - I'll just combine what Larry does with what the other readers have already done from my MW words.

And I will relabel the voice as Charles.

Thanks, Todd
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Okay, I will work on the cast list as soon as I can.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Stage Directions for Act II:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/trelawnyofthewells_stagedirection_2_128kb.mp3 31:25

I think I found all of ths slips and a couple of missing lines, so I'm hoping for an OK on the first pass. :mrgreen:
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote: September 4th, 2018, 9:16 am Stage Directions for Act II:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/trelawnyofthewells_stagedirection_2_128kb.mp3 31:25
I think I found all of ths slips and a couple of missing lines, so I'm hoping for an OK on the first pass. :mrgreen:
31 minutes !!!! :shock: you really have your work cut out for you, Larry. Kudos to your bravery of tackling yet another Pinero. I just had a listen to it all and you manage to make it all so lively, especially the mayhem near the end :lol: I can really imagine the whole chaos inside this rather stiff household.

Unfortunately, the script is a bit bad and faulty in Gutenberg, so you missed a few things. Not many though, and compared to how long it was, you really did a great job.

Here are my notes for Act 2:

> at about 3:24: missing line: "As Clara, reaches her husband, he lurches forward into her arms."

> at about 14:03: missing line: "Sir William, in the same tone."

> at 16:00: "Charles. [Behind his hand.]" - this is Charles speaking, the script is a bit messed up, but you need to include the name here

> at 21:48: "Colpoys [Behind Rose, imitating Gadd.]" - same here, Colpoys needs to be included

thank you, Larry. :)

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

I've just finished recording Tom Wrench (no surprise, I loved playing this part). I'll be editing now and posting the files soon.

P.S. I caught a lot of transcription errors. Why are the Pineros on Gutenberg always so wonky? :shock:
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: September 4th, 2018, 3:57 pm And finally, here is Tom Wrench.
awww, Tomas, this was so brilliantly acted out :9: I loved every minute of it. Your Tom is such a drama-queen at the beginning, but also jovial and funny and nonchalant, one really feels he is a thespian to the very bones and passionate about his plays.

My favourite parts are when you are constantly exasperated by O'Dwyer :lol: he really is an annoying person. Can't wait to hear this assembled. In any case, your Tom is wonderful from the first sentence to the last.

Acts 1 and 2 already PL ok, but I have some notes for 3 and 4.

PL notes for Act 3:

> at 0:27: "To have found one who could have kept silent!" - you say "you" but he actually finishes Avonia's sentence in a sarcastic matter "She had only to ask any other member of the company ... to have found one who could have kept silent", so "you" is not really fitting here

> at 1:31: " bright, clear pool of genuine refinement" - you say "refreshment", probably optional though, I leave that up to you, both sound like very positive qualities

PL notes for Act 4:

> at about 0:28: missing lines: [To Telfer, awkwardly.] I—I hope the little part of Poggs appeals to you, Mr. Telfer. Only a sketch, of course; but there was nothing else—quite—in your———-

thank you for this great performance, you were wonderfully cast in this role.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I have orphaned Captain de Foenix

Thanks, Todd
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thank you for the compliments, Sonia. :9: They always mean so much when they come from you!

I fixed all the errors in the files and have re-uploaded them. Let's hope they're OK now.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: September 5th, 2018, 12:58 pmI fixed all the errors in the files and have re-uploaded them. Let's hope they're OK now.
they are both PL ok. Nice awkward moment in 4th act :thumbs:

thanks !

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

HI there,

I could read Sarah in the first act if that's okay with you! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com