COMPLETE[PLAY] The Vampire; or, the Bride of the Isles by J.R. Planche - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

The Vampire; or, The Bride of the Isles by James Planché (1796 - 1880).

Freely adapted from both Lord Byron’s Fragment of a Novel and John Polidori's The Vampyre, J.R. Planché’s The Vampire; or, the Bride of the Isles predates Dracula in its depiction of the vampire as a seductive, sophisticated, and noble figure. It also helped popularize the character of Lord Ruthven, the nefarious “creature of the night” who would later be immortalized in many books, films, operas, and roleplaying games.

Set in the Scottish isle of Staffa, Planché’s play begins with our heroine having a prophetic vision of her own demise. Lady Margaret is besieged with nightmares of a vampiric fiend threatening to feast upon her blood. These premonitions are quickly borne out when she meets her betrothed, the villainous Lord Ruthven, an otherworldly creature alluded to in local gossip and rumor. Her father once believed he had died years ago protecting him from bandits—but he was wrong. Ruthven has joined the legion of the undead—he is, in short, the titular vampire.

Now Ruthven seeks to marry Margaret in order to drain her of her blood. Will her prophetic dreams come true? How will she be saved from Ruthven’s villainous schemes?
( Chuckw)
  • This project is complete. Audio files may be found in our catalog at https://librivox.org/the-vampire-or-the-bride-of-the-isles-by-james-planche/
    BC and Editor: ChuckW
    DPL: Kitty

1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/007384083
    5. Alternate Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BrxywH2Sk5XPOPjLVNn8Omj-LP4vOTvD/view?usp=sharing
    6. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: HaFEjpgu
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (James Planché) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Planché
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vampire_(play)
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 28
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): 1820
        ============================================

Genres for the project: Plays/Drama

Keywords that describe the book: horror, vampire, melodrama, supernatural, romantic drama

============================================
      • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
        Channels: 1 (Mono)
        Bit Rate: 128 kbps
        Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
      • Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
        [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of The Vampire; or, The Bride of the Isles, by James Planché. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
      • AFTER recording
        Save files as 128 kbps MP3
        vampire_[role]_[#]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the act number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
        • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
          (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
        • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: toddhw
        • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
        • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
        Please post below
Last edited by ChuckW on January 28th, 2019, 3:07 pm, edited 9 times in total.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

So I was gonna wait a little while before launching this, but (a) my other play seems to have reached that purgatorial state that often befalls plays with large casts of extras and supporting characters, and (b) I actually have more time this summer for editing and BC-ing (if not recording) than I'd expected.

And this is a really, really short play with a relatively small cast, so it shouldn't be hard finishing this one up. Maybe before Halloween? We'll see.
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Oh, and here's the cast list, for those who want to claim something early. Gender neutral casting.

Unda, Spirit of the Flood [also read Chorus] (Introductory Vision)

Ariel, Spirit of the Air [also read Chorus] (Introductory Vision)

Ruthven, Earl of Marsden, the Vampire [credited as “Vampire”] (Introductory Vision)
Ruthven, Earl of Marsden, the Vampire (Act I)
Ruthven, Earl of Marsden, the Vampire (Act II)

Ronald, Baron of the Isles (Act I)
Ronald, Baron of the Isles (Act II)

Robert, an English Attendant on the Baron [sings or chats on pg. 5] (Act I)
Robert, an English Attendant on the Baron [sings or chats on pg. 9] (Act II)

M’Swill, The Baron’s Henchman [sings or chants on pg. 4] (Act I)
M’Swill, The Baron’s Henchman [sings or chants on pg. 12] (Act II)

Andrew, Steward to Ruthven (Act I)
Andrew, Steward to Ruthven (Act II)

Lady Margaret, Daughter of Ronald (Act I)
Lady Margaret, Daughter of Ronald (Act II)

Effie, Daughter of Andrew [sings on pg. 8] (Act I)
Effie, Daughter of Andrew [sings on pg. 9 & 11] (Act II)

Bridget, Lord Ronald’s Housekeeper (Act I)
Bridget, Lord Ronald’s Housekeeper (Act II)

Chorus [for Chorus and Boat Song]

Stage Directions (Introductory Vision)
Stage Directions (Act I)
Stage Directions (Act II)
Last edited by ChuckW on July 24th, 2018, 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
PROJECTS
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Hello may I claim Ariel, Spirit of the Air
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

leanneyauyau wrote: July 24th, 2018, 6:40 am Hello may I claim Ariel, Spirit of the Air
Our first volunteer! :-)

That would be great, Leanne. Thank you. :-)

You probably also noticed that the two characters in this act sometimes chant in unison. You'll probably have to set the template for whoever takes Unda in the future.
PROJECTS
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

That's cool!
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
Foon

Post by Foon »

May I also put in an early claim, for Lady Margaret? :D
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Foon wrote: July 24th, 2018, 7:47 am May I also put in an early claim, for Lady Margaret? :D

Woohoo! That would be excellent! Thank you so much!
PROJECTS
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Setting up MW.

Thanks, Todd
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

ToddHW wrote: July 24th, 2018, 8:49 am Setting up MW.

Thanks, Todd
Yaaaaay! :-)

Thanks Todd!
PROJECTS
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

MW ready for you.

I have not been a baddie in a while. May I read Ruthven? I will avoid mirrors and garlic for the next month.

Thanks, Todd
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

ToddHW wrote: July 24th, 2018, 8:58 am MW ready for you.

I have not been a baddie in a while. May I read Ruthven? I will avoid mirrors and garlic for the next month.

Thanks, Todd
You are in for quite a treat, Todd. Ruthven is a very fun character. Thanks. :-)

I’m at the library with my daughter right now, but I’ll update the MW after we get back and I make her lunch.
PROJECTS
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

can I be the housekeeper Bridget please ?

I was also wondering if we should pronounce Ruthven's name in the old Scottish Clan traditional way...it would be "riven" not "ruth-ven"

see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Ruthven : "The Clan Ruthven (/ˈrɪvən/) is a Lowland Scottish clan"

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote: July 24th, 2018, 9:07 am can I be the housekeeper Bridget please ?

I was also wondering if we should pronounce Ruthven's name in the old Scottish Clan traditional way...it would be "riven" not "ruth-ven"

see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Ruthven : "The Clan Ruthven (/ˈrɪvən/) is a Lowland Scottish clan"

Sonia
That would be great, Sonia. Thank you. :-)

Excellent point about the pronoun is toon of Ruthven. I’m not entirely sure if there’s a canonical pronunciation we need to stick with, since this the character has become such a pop-culture fixture. I’ll do some research when I get home and figure out if your suggested pronunciation is correct or if we need to go with something else.
PROJECTS
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

This sounds so cool, and I haven't even looked at the text yet lol. I don't usually choose blindly, but I kinda want to play a "henchman" for once, so can I have M’Swill? Or McSwill, if the apostrophe is a c? :P
Tomas Peter