COMPLETE - A Brief History of Forestry by Bernard Fernow - mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

A Brief History of Forestry by Bernhard Eduard Fernow (1851 - 1923).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/a-brief-history-of-forestry-by-bernhard-eduard-fernow/

An accessible, comprehensive summary of the science and art of forestry, from its ancient roots to its 20th century techniques (many of which are still used today). This book synthesizes forestry efforts and practices from around the globe, providing the reader with a unique lens into the sociocultural, historic and, of course, economic processes of nearly every world region. (jvanstan)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!):http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/48874
  5. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
  6. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Standard Linny will PL

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  7. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  8. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of A Brief History of Forestry. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "A Brief History of Forestry, by Bernhard Fernow. [Section]"

**Please do not read the opening reference material. Including footnotes is up to the reader**

END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of A Brief History of Forestry, by Bernhard Fernow. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  9. Example filename briefhistoryofforestry_##_fernow_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. briefhistoryofforestry_01_fernow_128kb.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)

Please ignore tags - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by linny on December 31st, 2019, 11:17 am, edited 6 times in total.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.

Edit: Let me know if any changes are needed. Do you have someone in mind as DPL?
jvanstan

Post by jvanstan »

Hi Craig - thanks much!

Sorry for my delay, I've been distracted for a little while by some exciting work stuff :D But, I've laid down the bulk of the heavy reading (Germany's sections).

I've been labeling the prefaces as section 00. So the section numbering is off from the MW. Can we make the preface section 00 to match the filenames?

As for DPL, I hadn't contacted anyone. Would you mind doing it? Patty Marie, who usually DPLs for me, will be DPL-ing for another project I intend to start soon (the entire d'Artagnan Romances)!

Thanks again and happy 4th!
John
craigdav1 wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 2:07 pm MW coming up.posting.php?f=28&mode=quote&p=1479455&sid=aafcc2ee970bcc848bcb736e2b5e88e4#

Edit: Let me know if any changes are needed. Do you have someone in mind as DPL?
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

jvanstan wrote: July 4th, 2018, 10:39 am I've been labeling the prefaces as section 00. So the section numbering is off from the MW. Can we make the preface section 00 to match the filenames?

As for DPL, I hadn't contacted anyone. Would you mind doing it?
Done and Yes. Please check the section titles as I may have inadvertently jumbled them.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

I just noticed that the last two sections are >72m in length (our maximum length). Each will need to be divided into two sections (e.g. Parts 1 and 2). Where you split the sections is up to you as long as the lengths are <72m. The intros and outros may need to be altered/added and the section numbers will be 4 and 5 for the first chapter and 6 and 7 for the second. When you upload these files they will replace the earlier ones. I've added blank sections at the appropriate points in the MW.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

0-1 PL OK.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

2-3 PL OK.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

I've listened to section 4 (soon to be 4&5) and it's pl ok. Section 5 (soon to be 6&7) isn't in my folder.
jvanstan

Post by jvanstan »

Ooops! I thought those sections might be a bit too long :/ Sorry! I've cut them up and added the correct intro/outro for each section.

Thanks for adding the sections and all to the MW :) I'll start tackling Austria and the rest soon.

Best,
John
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

4-7 PL OK.
jvanstan

Post by jvanstan »

A few more sections are ready for PL :)

Hope all's well,
John
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

1:04 Windows tone in background (incoming mail?)
There is a background humming sound from about 2m to 5m which I was largely able to remove getting a noise profile from that section (3:36). I'm not sure everyone can hear this as it's quite faint and high pitched.
9 PL OK.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

10-11 PL OK.
3:41 delete word stumble
jvanstan

Post by jvanstan »

Hi Craig,

I've just finished the first volume of the d'artagnan romances and returned to this project. Honestly, the book gets soooo boring after the first chapter! :/ My enthusiasm has, therefore, waned significantly. Could we open this up to the group and see if any volunteers want to help finish?

Hope all's well,
John
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

It would involve moving the book from the "Going Solo" forum to the "Readers Wanted: Books" forum. You would still be the book coordinator (BC). Potential readers would request a section and as BC you would agree or not to the request. You would maintain/update the MW (entering reader usernames, file durations and listen urls as files are received). I could continue as DPL or if you wish you could take over the job of listening to the chapters. Either way I would continue as MC and catalog the book when it is completed. Any questions/thoughts?