COMPLETE The Cheery Way, July by JK Bangs -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Foon

Post by Foon »

6,8,9,10: PL OK :thumbs:

PL note section 5:
0:28 I hear "and neither you shall lack", text reads "and neither shall you lack"

I was wondering to what extent we care about the pronunciation of words like e'en (instead of even) and o' (instead of of) in projects like this?
If we do care, there are 2 additional PL notes.
Section 5: 0:20 even instead of e'en
Section 7: 0:07 of instead of o' (twice)

(I just genuinely don't know if that's something I should be pointing out right now. Still working on getting the hang of PLing...)

If we don't care about these pronunciations, section 7 is PL OK.
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :thumbs:

I personally think that even instead of e'en and of instead of o' are too small errors to bother. I dont point those out.

We sometimes pl a little stricter in poetry than in prose because small errors can have a big effect on the rhythm and meter of a poem, not to mention the meaning. But we still mostly work with standard pl (we let small errors go) rather than word perfect (note all tiny errors).

Consider what you think the impact is of an error on the reading and the poem. If there is no impact, let it go. If there is some, you can stay on the safe side and note it :) does that help?
Carolin
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

As Carolin said, these two errors don't change the meaning, metre or rythm of the poem (if they had I would probably have noticed, I'm quite attuned to rythm in poetry), so I'd opt to let them stay. I wouldn't have pointed them out, but thank you for telling me and leaving me the option.

Regarding e'en, I have trouble pronouncing these syncopes so that they sound good so I always use the full word in those cases :oops: I think it doesn't distract too much.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Foon

Post by Foon »

I agree, they didn't bother me, so they're all good :thumbs: Sorry for bringing up the hassle!
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

tovarisch wrote: July 14th, 2018, 10:12 amHere are the first five of mine. The neighbor started mowing his lawn, so I'm waiting for some quiet...
Excellent job, Tovarisch. :clap: I was just listening to these with my sister sitting next to me and she asked me to tell you that she was "enjoying these recordings like a fine praline". :9: and I agree with her. :)

All 5 PL ok. Looking forward to the rest.

Sonia
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Thank you Sonia. :9:
tovarisch
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

tovarisch
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Sorry, Carolin, I think I uploaded some files for July twice. Please remove the older ones. :oops:
tovarisch
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you all :D
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

the next two months are in the launch pad too :D
Carolin
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

just listened to the rest of the poems by Tovarisch. Wonderful little recitations, all of them. :clap: I especially loved the poignant sentence: "and down with Worry !" You delivered that with a bang :thumbs:

I would say all of them can be marked PL ok. Since you however say in your signature that you want pronunciation corrections, there is one word that I would like to point out as it does also change the meaning a bit, although in the context people would correctly understand it, so I guess it is an optional correction.

for July 27

> at 0:12: "And boast a chain of fine forebears" - the way you stress it on the second syllable, it means the verb "to forbear", while here the author meant "ancestors" which is stressed on the first syllable, "fore-bears"

up to you if you want to correct it. :)

Great job all in all. :9:

Sonia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you sonia!
Carolin
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Kitty wrote: July 15th, 2018, 5:23 am just listened to the rest of the poems by Tovarisch. Wonderful little recitations, all of them. :clap: I especially loved the poignant sentence: "and down with Worry !" You delivered that with a bang :thumbs:

I would say all of them can be marked PL ok. Since you however say in your signature that you want pronunciation corrections, there is one word that I would like to point out as it does also change the meaning a bit, although in the context people would correctly understand it, so I guess it is an optional correction.

for July 27

> at 0:12: "And boast a chain of fine forebears" - the way you stress it on the second syllable, it means the verb "to forbear", while here the author meant "ancestors" which is stressed on the first syllable, "fore-bears"

up to you if you want to correct it. :)

Great job all in all. :9:

Sonia
I rerecorded 27, please PL. New running length: 0:44. Thanks!
tovarisch