COMPLETE[PLAY]Charley's Aunt by Brandon Thomas - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

becevka wrote: July 10th, 2018, 11:15 pm OK, let's start then.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/charleysaunt_charleywykeham_1_128kb.mp3
Time 21:17
Can't wait to hear your feedback.
:lol: brilliant performance !!!! Your portrayal of Charley as a slight nitwit is absolutely hilarious. It's also great that not all of the three main boys are brainy ones. Each has a distinct character now. :thumbs: I loved it from first to last. Can't wait to hear the rest. Excellent job, Wolfgang !

Oh and I especially love the several laughs you incorporated. I'm sure Todd can place them well inside the performance.

I have only a few corrections to add:

> at about 12:50: missing line: CHARLEY (pouring out whisky for himself, leaving decanter on R. corner of table). "Babbs, you don't sympathise with us a bit!"

> at 15:53: All right I (Returning.) I say, Jack, I feel happier since I've seen them, don't you? – could you leave a longer pause here for stage directions ? Also, I think this first “I” really is a typo for an exclamation mark “!” I noticed that it often occurs in this text. So you could say: “All right !” [pause] “I say Jack, I feel happier…(etc).” But that is optional.

> at 21:08: “Allow me, Donna Lucia. “ – this should be Sir Francis saying this. Charley is only mentioned in the stage directions, seated as before but it's Sir Francis and Spettigue who vie to accompany Donna Lucia. You can cut out that bit

Thanks !

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

STEPHEN SPETTIGUE, Solicitor, Oxford has been orphaned.

Thanks, Todd
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Kitty wrote: July 1st, 2018, 5:40 am

> at about 1:45: (They laugh. SIR FRANCIS rises; they both move towards table R.) "Done over everything monstrously at college, but settle up, settle up--"

> at about 4:15: "Delighted."

> at about 4:23: (Turns, sees BRASSETT.) (BRASSETT takes his hat and stick and places them on hat-rack in recess. Exits.) (To BRASSETT.) "Thank you." (Aside, to JACK.) "Now, Jack, has she come?"

> at about 4:59: "Jack!"

> at about 5:26: "Do you like it?" (Offers it.) "Will you accept it?"

> at about 5:52: (with quiet tone of authority). "Perhaps you willremember, sir, that ladies are present."

> at about 7:09: (Offers L. arm to LORD FANCOURT.) "Allow me, Donna Lucia."

thank you

Sonia
Here is the correct file, with NEW time stamps above:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/charleysaunt_colonel_1_128kb.mp3
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Kitty wrote: June 19th, 2018, 2:43 am [
You did miss some lines though. The text is really a mess, so it's not your fault at all:

> at about 4:10: missing line: (Aside.) What is he stopping here for? (Aloud.) Have a cigarette?

> at about 6:00: here is a lengthy part, not specifically named for Chesney, but in the context, it must be him saying these lines:
LORD FANCOURT, with long strides, steals quickly across to L.U.E., and is nearly off as SIR FRANCIS says: It's so good of you to come. (Turns.) (LORD FANCOURT, seeing SIR FRANCIS turn, stops L.U.E., his attempt to bolt is frustrated.)
(Sees LORD FANCOURT at L.U.E.) Won't you sit down? (LORD FANCOURT Sits L. of C. table.)
(Aside.) By jove, got her at last! Now for the plunge! I'll begin with a compliment. (Looks at LORD FANCOURT, then away again.) I wonder what's her real age? However, a woman's never too old for a compliment, so here goes! (Coming to table--clears throat.)
(LORD FANCOURT clears throat too.)
(Aloud.) Donna Lucia, you'll pardon the rude metaphor of an old campaigner, I'm sure, but to meet you to-day for the first time, as I have done, is to me like a lonely traveller coming across some--er bright little floweret--(Their eyes meet. Indicating L.) by the wayside.

> at 11:45: “a young fellow named Wykeham.” you say “Wickenham” but I reply “Wykeham” (beginning sounding like “why”) it will sound a bit strange if I reply with a different pronunciation. But that might be optional

> at about 11:49: missing sentence: "Who is entertaining some ladies--two young ladies (DONNA LUCIA smiles at ELA)--and his aunt."

> at 12;32: “Certainly” – from the context, I think that is Donna Lucia saying this, it can be cut out

Sonia
And, here is corrected Act II - again with new time stamps.
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote: July 23rd, 2018, 8:38 am Here is the correct file, with NEW time stamps above:
brilliant, Larry, I loved your very stern voice in that one sentence :thumbs: Also the hilarious harumphing you're giving us before you start your charm-assault on fake Donna Lucia :lol:

Everything in now and correct ! Both Acts PL ok. And big thanks for the new time-stamps :9:

Sonia
Foon

Post by Foon »

ToddHW wrote: July 14th, 2018, 3:32 am STEPHEN SPETTIGUE, Solicitor, Oxford has been orphaned.

Thanks, Todd
Would you take a female Stephen? 8-)
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Foon wrote: July 24th, 2018, 4:03 am
ToddHW wrote: July 14th, 2018, 3:32 am STEPHEN SPETTIGUE, Solicitor, Oxford has been orphaned.

Thanks, Todd
Would you take a female Stephen? 8-)
Yes. All my play offerings are gender neutral. Thank you.

And now this play is full.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I am starting assembly of the play now and your voices are all so wonderful for this!

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Missing two Act 1 lines from Jack Chessney:
(Shaking hands with KITTY.) How do you do?

(Shaking hands with AMY.) So kind of you to come!
Just send in separate file, please.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Missing an Amy line in Act 1:
AMY (coming down R. to LOw) FANCOURT). May I arrange these for you, Donna
Lucia?

(LORD FANCOURT takes flowers out of dress and hands her them.)

After all, you know, we have some nice weather sometimes in poor old
England.
Just send in a separate file please.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

ToddHW wrote: July 24th, 2018, 12:04 pm Missing two Act 1 lines from Jack Chessney:
(Shaking hands with KITTY.) How do you do?

(Shaking hands with AMY.) So kind of you to come!
Just send in separate file, please.

Thanks, Todd
I think there are a couple more Jack lines at the end of Act 1. Pretty hard to figure out exactly who is speaking - this would be a great play to actually see live!
JACK (up L.C.). I'll punch his head if he does it again!

(Knock. BRASSETT enters, L.U.E.)

(To CHARLEY.) Here's my father! (Going down C. To LORD FANCOURT.) Donna
Lucia!

(LORD FANCOURT comes down C. to JACK. CHARLEY joins girls up R.C.)

(Aside to LORD FANCOURT.) Take care, here's my father.
Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Well, Act 1 is 1 hour and 40 minutes of pure mayhem. You all sound great together, but I still can't wait for the arrival for the REAL Donna Lucia in Act 2!

(I have a good break spot in the center of the act, just before when Amy and Kitty arrive, where I can break the act into 2 files.)

Thanks, Todd
becevka

Post by becevka »

Wolfgang Bas
becevka

Post by becevka »

Kitty wrote: July 11th, 2018, 12:52 am
becevka wrote: July 10th, 2018, 11:15 pm OK, let's start then.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/charleysaunt_charleywykeham_1_128kb.mp3
Time 21:17
Can't wait to hear your feedback.
:lol: brilliant performance !!!! Your portrayal of Charley as a slight nitwit is absolutely hilarious. It's also great that not all of the three main boys are brainy ones. Each has a distinct character now. :thumbs: I loved it from first to last. Can't wait to hear the rest. Excellent job, Wolfgang !

Oh and I especially love the several laughs you incorporated. I'm sure Todd can place them well inside the performance.

I have only a few corrections to add:

> at about 12:50: missing line: CHARLEY (pouring out whisky for himself, leaving decanter on R. corner of table). "Babbs, you don't sympathise with us a bit!"

> at 15:53: All right I (Returning.) I say, Jack, I feel happier since I've seen them, don't you? – could you leave a longer pause here for stage directions ? Also, I think this first “I” really is a typo for an exclamation mark “!” I noticed that it often occurs in this text. So you could say: “All right !” [pause] “I say Jack, I feel happier…(etc).” But that is optional.

> at 21:08: “Allow me, Donna Lucia. “ – this should be Sir Francis saying this. Charley is only mentioned in the stage directions, seated as before but it's Sir Francis and Spettigue who vie to accompany Donna Lucia. You can cut out that bit

Thanks !

Sonia
Thanks so much for PL and good appraisals.

Now, since Todd already started mixing it all together, should I better send 1 insert file for 12:50: missing line and let Todd to cut out the unnecessary "I" and last line? Or would it be easier to re-upload Act I with corrections?
Wolfgang Bas
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

becevka wrote: July 24th, 2018, 11:12 pm Now, since Todd already started mixing it all together, should I better send 1 insert file for 12:50: missing line and let Todd to cut out the unnecessary "I" and last line? Or would it be easier to re-upload Act I with corrections?
yes please reupload Act 1 in total with the corrections at the right spots. Todd so far only incorporated PL ok sections, so yours isn't in the final version yet.

Thanks, will PL soon !

Sonia