[COMPLETE]Principles of Geology, by Charles Lyell-icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Walnut

Post by Walnut »

Hello,

While reading through the next section I planned to record, I noticed that the n-word was used several times. I'm planning to record these instances as something less offensive to a modern audience. I personally feel very uncomfortable recording the text as-is and saying this word. I hope this is OK.

If it would be better for me to rescind the section than modify the text, I am fine with that too.
I try to avoid voice cracks in my recordings.
To PLers- please correct sloppy pronunciation or weird slurring :/
JefferySmith

Post by JefferySmith »

If you are referring to "Niger", that's a country in West Africa, not the racial slur (which is spelled and pronounced differently).

Jeffery
Jeffery Smith
Chula Vista, CA
Walnut

Post by Walnut »

JefferySmith wrote: July 10th, 2018, 3:16 pm If you are referring to "Niger", that's a country in West Africa, not the racial slur (which is spelled and pronounced differently).

Jeffery
I am not referring to Niger.
JefferySmith

Post by JefferySmith »

Okay.
Jeffery Smith
Chula Vista, CA
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Walnut wrote: July 10th, 2018, 2:57 pm Hello,

While reading through the next section I planned to record, I noticed that the n-word was used several times. I'm planning to record these instances as something less offensive to a modern audience. I personally feel very uncomfortable recording the text as-is and saying this word. I hope this is OK.

If it would be better for me to rescind the section than modify the text, I am fine with that too.
I understand your feeling in regard to that word, but we have to keep the text as-is, even with that word. I will leave it up to you whether you would like to give up that section or not. Let me know what you would like to do, no hard feelings from me at all!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Section 76 is PL OK!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
20thCenturyVole

Post by 20thCenturyVole »

20thCenturyVole

And here's section 31 as well!

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/principlesofgeology_31_lyell_128kbps.mp3

Duration: 22:26

This section includes an amusing part where Lyell compares contemporary critics of theories of geological change to the "votaries of Vesta." But maybe you had to be there... Anyways, appreciation to eminent 19th scientists for knowing when to bring the snark!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

20thCenturyVole wrote: July 10th, 2018, 6:13 pm Section 30 is ready!

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/principlesofgeology_30_lyell_128kbps.mp3

duration: 26:03

Thank you!
20thCenturyVole wrote: July 10th, 2018, 7:26 pm And here's section 31 as well!

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/principlesofgeology_31_lyell_128kbps.mp3

Duration: 22:26

This section includes an amusing part where Lyell compares contemporary critics of theories of geological change to the "votaries of Vesta." But maybe you had to be there... Anyways, appreciation to eminent 19th scientists for knowing when to bring the snark!

It is fun to see the snarks that come out in these books. If I remember correctly, Lyell was the first geologist to suggest plate tectonics, which was not accepted at all. Thanks Josh!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
craftingcat

Post by craftingcat »

Hello! May I please claim Section 22, Chapter X? It will be my first recording, and I'll probably be good under my actual name, Kimberly Logsdon. There are enough of "me" I should be hard enough to find. :lol:
Sycamore

Post by Sycamore »

icequeen wrote: July 10th, 2018, 5:34 pm Section 76 is PL OK!
Mind if I continue the chapter and tackle section 77?
All the best,
Yavor
lsware

Post by lsware »

Greetings! Yowza what a project you have here! :D Some awesome stuff, tho.

May I give Section 22, Chapter X a whirl, please? ~Lisa
Walnut

Post by Walnut »

icequeen wrote: July 10th, 2018, 5:16 pm
Walnut wrote: July 10th, 2018, 2:57 pm Hello,

I understand your feeling in regard to that word, but we have to keep the text as-is, even with that word. I will leave it up to you whether you would like to give up that section or not. Let me know what you would like to do, no hard feelings from me at all!
Thanks Ann. In that case I feel it would be better for me to give up that section. Thank you for your understanding.
lsware

Post by lsware »

lsware wrote: July 11th, 2018, 12:12 pm Greetings! Yowza what a project you have here! :D Some awesome stuff, tho.

May I give Section 22, Chapter X a whirl, please? ~Lisa
So I just noticed someone requested this section before I did :oops: - therefore... how about Section 75, Chapter XXXI?

Thanks,
~Lisa
20thCenturyVole

I'd love to volunteer for sections 66, 67, 68, 69 if still available!