COMPLETE: Junior Classics Vol. 4: Heroes and Heroines of Chivalry, by W Patten - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Foon

Post by Foon »

Junior Classics Vol. 4: Heroes and Heroines of Chivalry by William Patten (1866 - 1945).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/the-junior-classics-volume-4-heroes-and-heroines-of-chivalry-by-various/

The purpose of The Junior Classics is to provide, in ten volumes containing about five thousand pages, a classified collection of tales, stories, and poems, both ancient and modern, suitable for boys and girls of from six to sixteen years of age, but adults will enjoy these just the same! This volume contains stories about heroes such as Robin Hood, King Arthur, and Don Quixote. (Foon)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015083431620;view=1up;seq=15
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales; Fantastic Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of Junior Classics Vol. 4: Heroes and Heroines of Chivalry. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Junior Classics Vol. 4: Heroes and Heroines of Chivalry, by William Patten. [Chapter][Part Number][Part Title]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of section [number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Junior Classics Vol. 4: Heroes and Heroines of Chivalry, by William Patten. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      juniorclassicsvol4_##_patten_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. juniorclassicsvol4_01_patten_128kb.mp3)

ID3 tags will be added during cataloging.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by Foon on January 3rd, 2019, 6:03 am, edited 8 times in total.
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Foon

Post by Foon »

I'd like to PL this one myself. :)
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I'll set this up for you. MW will be available shortly.
Jo
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thanks, Jo!

The MW is all set up, all readers now welcome :D

Readers needed:
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

Hi Foon,

Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
Foon

Post by Foon »

HZFerr wrote: July 8th, 2018, 1:40 pm Hi Foon,

Hi Helen!

Thanks for agreeing to PL the preface :D

Readers needed:
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
Foon

Post by Foon »

Helen,
The preface is in the MW for whenever you have time! :)

Readers needed:
robinlamb

Post by robinlamb »

I would like to read section 23, The Adventures of King Horn
Foon

Post by Foon »

robinlamb wrote: July 9th, 2018, 7:43 am I would like to read section 23, The Adventures of King Horn
All yours, thanks for claiming! :thumbs:

As that is the first section of the chapter, please make sure to read the short chapter introduction as well before you dive into your story.

Happy recording!

Readers needed:
robinlamb

Post by robinlamb »

Ok. Thank you!
robinlamb

Post by robinlamb »

robinlamb

Post by robinlamb »

Can I also read sections 26 and 28?
Also, as I was reading some of the other stories in the book, I noticed that there are two pages missing from the Fair Maid of Astolat. The missing text can be found at Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/6323.
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thanks!

You're in for PL and the other two sections are yours too. :thumbs: I'll take a look at the missing pages, I hadn't noticed that yet, thanks for pointing it out!

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

NOTE: Missing text for section 15 (p. 74-75):

After many weeks, by the good care of the hermit and the fair Elaine, Sir Launcelot was so far recovered that he might bear the weight of his armor and mount his horse again. Then, one morn, they left the hermitage and rode all three, the Fair Maid, Sir Launcelot, and Sir Lavaine, to the castle of Astolat, where there was much joy of their coming. After brief sojourn, Sir Launcelot desired to ride to court, for he knew there would be much sorrow among his kinsmen for his long absence. But when he would take his departure, Elaine cried aloud: "Ah! my lord, suffer me to go with you, for I may not bear to lose you." "Fair child," answered Sir Launcelot gently, "that may not be. But in the days to come, when ye shall love and wed some good knight, for your sake I will bestow upon him broad lands and great riches; and at all times will I hold me ready to serve you as a true knight may." Thus spoke Sir Launcelot, but the fair Elaine answered never a word.

So Sir Launcelot rode to London where the whole court was glad of his coming; but from the day of his departure, the Fair Maid drooped and pined until, when ten days were passed, she felt that her end was at hand. So she sent for her father and two brothers, to whom she said gently: "Dear father and brethren, I must now leave you." Bitterly they wept, but she comforted them all she might, and presently desired of her father a boon. "Ye shall have what ye will," said the old lord; for he hoped that she might yet recover. Then first she required her brother, Sir Tirre, to write a letter, word for word as she said it; and when it was written, she turned to her father and said: "Kind father, I desire that, when I am dead, I may be arrayed in my fairest raiment, and placed on a bier; and let the bier be set within a barge, with one to steer it until I be come to London, Then, perchance, Sir Launcelot will come and look upon me with kindness." So she died, and all was done as she desired; for they set her, looking as fair as a lily, in a barge all hung with black, and an old dumb man went with her as helmsman.

Slowly the barge floated down the river until it had come to Westminster; and as it passed under the palace walls, it chanced that King Arthur and Queen Guenevere looked forth from a window. Marvelling much at the strange sight, together they went forth to the quay, followed by many of the knights. Then the king espied the letter clasped in the dead maiden's hand, and drew it forth gently and broke the seal. And thus the letter ran: "Most noble knight, Sir Launcelot, I, that men called the Fair Maid of Astolat, am come hither to crave burial at thy hands for the sake of the unrequited love I gave thee. As thou art peerless knight, pray for my soul."

Then the king bade fetch Sir Launcelot, and when he was come, he showed him the letter. And Sir Launcelot, gazing on the dead maiden, was filled with sorrow. "My lord Arthur," he said, "for the death of this dear child I shall grieve my life long. Gentle she was and loving, and much was I beholden to her; but what she desired I could not give." "Yet her request now thou wilt grant, I know," said the king, "for ever thou art kind and [courteous to all." "It is my desire," answered Sir Launcelot.] (continues in pdf).

Readers needed: