COMPLETE : Hemlock Avenue Mystery by Roman Doubleday -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Roger

Post by Roger »

And now chapter 8 has been uploaded and posted, ready for a listen at your leisure.

Enjoy! Thanks!! :D
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote: July 1st, 2018, 11:30 amAnd now chapter 8 has been uploaded and posted, ready for a listen at your leisure.
interesting new aspects about the case...so Mrs Broughton definitely saw Fullerton on the day he died. Just like Lyon, I start suspecting this woman :lol: There's someting I don't like about her.

I have a couple small corrections to propose:

> at 14:53: “a filmy, crumpled-up handkerchief on the table caught his eye” – I guess this is highly optional: you say “flimsy”, which doesn’t really matter much, only for the fact that I think that Mrs Broughton may not have any “flimsy” clothing about her person. It was probably “filmy” with her lipstick, which might provide a clue. Or am I over-interpreting here ? (the devil’s in the details :mrgreen: )

> at 22:49: "Not if it removes Lawrence's connection with the cane?" – you say “case” (again ;) ) but it’s again the all-important “cane” that is meant here. Especially because Bede replies with the cane

I had to smirk at the final sentence: "And Lyon fully admitted the truth of that statement the next time that he did get into those rooms." What did he do ? Climb up on over the balcony ? :lol:

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Good catches, both of them! :thumbs:

Chapter 8 has been patched and re-uploaded, ready for a spot check at your leisure.

Thanks for pointing these out. Both have (hopefully) been repaired.
At least there were no food references inserted here. How embarrassing if I had said something like "Not if it removes Lawrence's connection with the carrots?" :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote: July 3rd, 2018, 7:22 am Chapter 8 has been patched and re-uploaded, ready for a spot check at your leisure.
excellently repaired and corrected. PL ok now :)
At least there were no food references inserted here. How embarrassing if I had said something like "Not if it removes Lawrence's connection with the carrots?" :D
:lol: I'm still on the lookout for amusing food-references. The book is still long...I'm sure there will be one one day. :mrgreen: I'm not giving up hope.

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Chapter 9 has been posted. Hope it is OK.

So what do you think Kitty will have to say, Kitty? :mrgreen:

Thanks!! :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote: July 6th, 2018, 9:44 am Chapter 9 has been posted. Hope it is OK.
So what do you think Kitty will have to say, Kitty? :mrgreen:
:lol: yes it's always funny when I hear that name in a recording here.

Sorry for being so late at PLing but the weekend was quite busy and I didn't want to rush through it. The story is far too interesting for that and needs careful listening to remember all the details. Mrs Broughton definitely sounds remorseful. Whether she is the murder I am not sure yet, but she has something to do with it.

Another flawless reading, thanks, Roger. PL ok again.

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

OK, chapter 10 has been posted, ready for PL.

Kitty, meet miss Kitty. :mrgreen:
Any resemblance? Does she remind you of yourself? :D

Thanks!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote: July 13th, 2018, 10:29 am OK, chapter 10 has been posted, ready for PL.
Kitty, meet miss Kitty. :mrgreen:
Any resemblance? Does she remind you of yourself? :)
:lol: she is a mischievous little imp. But very friendly and I think she is the nicest person in this book so far. Yes I think I can relate to her readiness to break some silly rules in a convent-like strict school :mrgreen: I'm also sure that she and Lyons will come together in the end. Awwww, there is a little romance in the novel now as well :9:

This chapter is PL ok and was highly entertaining. More Kittie hopefully soon !

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Chapter 11 has been posted, ready for PL.

Thanks!! :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote: July 24th, 2018, 7:31 amChapter 11 has been posted, ready for PL.
oho, now this Olden chap seems highly suspicious to me :!: he definitely has something to do with the whole affair and is trying to hide something. It's probably not a coincidence that he took up residence right next to the boarding school.

I like this book and that it has so many suspects :lol: makes the story interesting.

I found one small error:

> at 5:39: “Phillips looked disapproval and injury in every line of his face” – you say “inquiry” – it is a change of meaning but may be optional as inquiry could also be ok in the context

Up to you if you want to change it.

The rest is totally ok !

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

I'm enjoying this book too, both the story and the writing style.

Good catch on the combined looks on Phillips' face. :thumbs:

Chapter 11 has been patched and re-uploaded, ready for a spot check at your leisure.
Thanks! :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you, Chapter 11 PL ok now :)

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sonia - chapter 12 has been posted, but I understand you are away on holiday, so please place this at the bottom of your list of things to do when you return and get settled.
I merely didn't want the requisite 30 days to pass without some activity, and I had a few minutes (okay, hours) to spare. :mrgreen:
Meanwhile, I hope you are enjoying your time off.

Thanks! :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

my holidays were eventful and adventurous, as expected, thank you, Roger. But now I am also happy to be back quietly at home, resting a bit. And working off my PL backlog. Actually I started today and decided to do the short sections first. It feels good to see the list dwindle quicker ;) So your section was the second-but-last on my list. That means, I only have one more longer section left and then I'm all caught up. :9:

This chapter is totally PL ok. :thumbs: And I was thinking the same thing than Lyon: what if Lawrence is trying to shield a woman who had nothing to do with the affair ? He should make sure of his facts before doing anything rash which might have huge consequences for his career and even life.

The story is getting more interesting by the minute....now I wonder what Edith wants to confess.

And we're in the middle of the book. 50 % done. :clap:

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Chapter 13 has been posted.

Thanks! :)