[CLOSED] HYPHENIC - Want to read for an art project?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Torfinn

Post by Torfinn »

Hello everyone!

We are an artist duo consisting of myself, Tor-Finn Malum Fitje, holding a masters degree in Fine Arts from Royal Institute of Art in Stockholm, and Thomas Anthony Hill, educated in literature at the University of Bergen, Norway.

We are currently working on a project that will be exhibited at Moderna Museet in Stockholm in October. This is a huge event for us, and we are now looking for characteristic readers to perform some of the texts. These readings will be part of a film that will be screened several times during the exhibition period.

Our project sets out to create a fictional language called Hyphenic, and present it as authentic. Consisting of an audiobook and a film, the writing system and its entire alleged cultural and historical backdrop will be put forward. The book aims to organise this mysterious language in a coherent syntax. However, it is the contradicting theories associated with the origin of the language that remain the focal point.

A number of short texts will present the language's genesis, ranging from obvious fictional accounts to letter correspondences, transcribed interviews, theoretical essays and poems. Through this array of literary genres, the reader/listener will encounter people who in different ways have been in contact with Hyphenic, spanning from when it was first discovered in the early 1970’s and until today.

Would you like to be one of these characters? Since there are so many different texts we are not looking for a specific type or voice or accent. For a couple of them however, a Scottish dialect would be very welcome.

Please let us know if you are interested. We will then listen through some of your previous readings and PM you with more information.

Looking forward to collaborating you!

Tor-Finn and Thomas
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Hello, I'm interested! I've been on this site for a few years now and have been part of over 100 projects. I also have a website, link in my signature.
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi Tor-Finn and welcome!

Somehow your name sounds familiar... haven't you coordinated a university art project a few years back? :hmm: Can't find that old thread anymore though...

I don't remember whether I participated then, but I'm definitely willing to do it now!
You might need a couple more posts before you can send pms on this platform, but you can always email me via my website.

good luck! :D

Edit: The launch pad is for LV projects only. I'm moving this over to the "Off Topic" forum where we gather this kind of Non-LV projects now.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

It sounds like an interesting project! I'm interested in learning more, although I don't know if I'm ready to commit just yet. My reader page is linked below, when you click on my name.

One question that comes to mind immediately is: Would we have to learn Hyphenic to participate? Because that sounds daunting! :shock:
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Maybe - I played Lady McPhail with a scottish accent in "The Cabinet Minister". Have a listen, and if you like it let me know. There are not many genuine Scots here, so a fake Scottish accent might be the closest version you can get!

https://librivox.org/the-cabinet-minister-by-arthur-wing-pinero/

(I think you need 10 board posts before you can PM people - it's to prevent spam. So you might need to post a couple of responses to this thread before you can message us. Or you could post something in the Introduction forum too, just to show you are a real person and not a bot!)
schrm

Post by schrm »

sounds fun!
german accent here, reader page is in my signature
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

GillH has a beautiful Scottish accent, but of course, I have no idea if she'd be interested in this project.
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Australian accent here.

This would be an example of it being cranked up to maximum: https://librivox.org/bill-doreens-courtship-selections-from-the-songs-of-a-sentimental-bloke-by-c-j-dennis/

Regards,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Torfinn

Post by Torfinn »

Thanks for all the positive responses guys! Really appreciate it.

Leanneyauyau: Great! I will listen to some of your recordings.

Availle: You remember correctly. I also believe you read something for me back then.

Mightyfelix: Thanks for showing interest. You would not have to learn any Hyphenic. All of these texts will be in English. I will PM you with more information.

Schrm: Excellent, I will think of a text that could suit a German accent.

SonOfTheExiles: Sounds good!

I´m currently on my holidays, but I will PM all of you during the next couple of days.
Torfinn

Post by Torfinn »

Considering I´ll need 10 posts in order to PM you I will just answer some of you individually on here. I hope that´s okay.

At the moment we only have 3 texts that are completely finished. In total these texts require 6 different voices. By the next few months we will have somewhere between 10 and 15 texts. This will take some logistical planning by us, since we will need readers at different times.

So right now we would like to start off trying to find the first 6 voices. 5 of these will need to be British or Scottish, while in the later texts accents won´t matter as much.
Torfinn

Post by Torfinn »

leanneyauyau wrote: July 6th, 2018, 5:41 am Hello, I'm interested! I've been on this site for a few years now and have been part of over 100 projects. I also have a website, link in my signature.
Leanne: We really loved the calm quality of your voice. Would you like to participate? The text we have in mind is approximately 15 pages, but it´s shared between 3 different voices. I will send it too you as soon as I have enough posts here to PM. Then it would be lovely if you could do a short test reading.
Torfinn

Post by Torfinn »

Availle wrote: July 6th, 2018, 5:48 am Hi Tor-Finn and welcome!

Somehow your name sounds familiar... haven't you coordinated a university art project a few years back? :hmm: Can't find that old thread anymore though...

I don't remember whether I participated then, but I'm definitely willing to do it now!
You might need a couple more posts before you can send pms on this platform, but you can always email me via my website.

good luck! :D

Edit: The launch pad is for LV projects only. I'm moving this over to the "Off Topic" forum where we gather this kind of Non-LV projects now.

Ava: It´s so nice that you actually remembered my old project. There will surely be a role for you in this one as well. I have one text in mind that could suit you (German?) accent. This however is still in the editing process, so we will have to get back to you later in the summer. If you are interested in participating?
Torfinn

Post by Torfinn »

mightyfelix wrote: July 6th, 2018, 9:26 am It sounds like an interesting project! I'm interested in learning more, although I don't know if I'm ready to commit just yet. My reader page is linked below, when you click on my name.

One question that comes to mind immediately is: Would we have to learn Hyphenic to participate? Because that sounds daunting! :shock:

Devorah: We would definitely be keen on using your voice. If I´m not wrong you have a kind of neutral American accent? If you are willing to try it out we could send you a text we think suitable.
Torfinn

Post by Torfinn »

Elizabby wrote: July 7th, 2018, 4:34 pm Maybe - I played Lady McPhail with a scottish accent in "The Cabinet Minister". Have a listen, and if you like it let me know. There are not many genuine Scots here, so a fake Scottish accent might be the closest version you can get!

https://librivox.org/the-cabinet-minister-by-arthur-wing-pinero/

(I think you need 10 board posts before you can PM people - it's to prevent spam. So you might need to post a couple of responses to this thread before you can message us. Or you could post something in the Introduction forum too, just to show you are a real person and not a bot!)
Beth: I think that kind of Scottish accent might be a bit overpowering, but I listened through a lot of your other readings and I really loved it. Do you have a slight Australian accent? I might be wrong, but if so, would it be possible for you to do a more neutral British one? In that case I would really like you to have a part in the same texts as leanneyauyau.

If you are interested I will PM you the text for a test reading.
Torfinn

Post by Torfinn »

schrm wrote: July 7th, 2018, 4:37 pm sounds fun!
german accent here, reader page is in my signature

As I also told Availle, I think there might be some texts that could suit a German accent later in the process. We will let you know! Again, thank you so much for showing interest!