COMPLETE! A Vanished Hand by Sarah Doudney - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Sure. 4 can also be orphaned. Do you want it as well?
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Ok, I got the message. What I am going to do is this: Julia, you get 3, 5 and 6 as you requested. I iive 4 to someone else. I write this down and go to update the mw.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

May I have Chapter 4? Jim
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Sure (smile). All yours.
schrm

Post by schrm »

hi,

chapter 4 is assigned :D

cheers,
schrm
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Wow, Jim. Huge thanks. That was so fast.
Stav.
schrm

Post by schrm »

neecheelok70 wrote: June 30th, 2018, 10:40 am Here is 4:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/vanishedhand_04_doudney_128kb.mp3 9.94 KB

10:35

Jim :)
good evening,

i dont know if that is a correct word for that:
stunningly fast contributed!

PL 04 OK!

cheers,
schrm
Last edited by schrm on June 30th, 2018, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Glad to do it. Jim :)
magz

Post by magz »

Hi all,

I just replied to a private message from Stav before seeing this thread. Hope it's not too late to make the necessary changes to chapter one, happy to make them.

As regards doing chapter four, I could still do it but if someone else wanted to claim it that would also be fine.

Looking forward to getting recording again!

Maggie
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi Meg,
chapter 4 is already recorded. Of course it is not to late to make the changes to chapter 1. I simply decided to overlook the errors because I didn't hear from you. But it is up to you. Have fun,
Stav.
magz

Post by magz »

Great, thanks Stav!
magz

Post by magz »

I'm a bit confused!

Here are the instructions at the start of this thread:
7. DURING recording:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
START of recording (Intro)
"Chapter [number] of A Vanished Hand . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Say:
"A Vanished Hand , by Sarah Doudney . [Chapter]"
What I originally recorded was:
[0.9 seconds of silence at the beginning of the recording]
Chapter One of A Vanished Hand.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org
Recording by Maggie Mizzi
A Vanished Hand by Sarah Doudney, Chapter One: In A Back Room
As far as I can tell I've followed the instructions.

Here are Schrm's suggestions:
in the intro, there are several repetitions, if you read it like it's wanted.
you continued to read the chapter-title after the chapter number instead of repeating it. i think, this condensed version is very elegant!
but at second 17, i hear the book title "the vanished hand"?
what do you think about it? am i right?
now, i am not a native english speaker and i maybe hear it wrong.
also, i dont do wordwise pl in english.. but regarding the title of the book, in combination with the condensed intro..
my thought was: i would correct it, if it was my reading.
and knowing, that this is an "easy to edit" part of the recording, that there are several reasons for continuity and consistent intros, i mention it in this pl and ask you to change that.
As regards going through the recording and shortening some of the pauses, that's nice and clear! Can certainly do that, just not quite sure what to change about the Intro...
schrm

Post by schrm »

hi,

i just wanted to hint at the title: a vanished hand vs the vanished hand.
so, its just one word: "the" instead of "a".
since it is the book title, i would correct that. (but that is up to you, your file is marked ok, already!
and im not a native english speaker, anyways. so, if you dont want to correct it or say that is an "a"....
your file is marked pl ok already.)

regarding the pauses, i wrote: "what i think is ok,but want to mention it..."
that is totally up to you! if you want to shorten some silence-parts, i will pl the whole file again.
but it was just a remark, because you wrote you are a new reader: im making many and longer silences myself, when reading.
and i try to keep my rule of thumb myself.
additionally, spot-pl is something which is done really fast, while to pl the whole file, i need my time.
at last, with long pauses or with short: it is your interpretation!
and a pl is just giving feedback and hinting to some aspects (while long pauses, repeated parts or missing sentences are more or less the description of the pl-work, dpls are human, too. and we know it and want to enforce new rreaders, to motivate you, and so on. so, please: your file is already marked as pl ok.
if you want to shorten pauses, in future readings or in this, it is totally up to you!
all i know is, that i will happily pl your file again, in case you decide to change something.)

--> the only thing, which i thought was really "strange" and to be corrected, was the ("missing") sentence, which i cannot understand or understand something totally else. seems to be a thing like this laurel or yanny meme (we have that in our offtopic forum, by the way).
but im not a native english speaking person, and in case you decide it to be true to the text....
your file is marked ok already.

i ended the pl with:
once again: thank you for your wonderful reading!
and that is just true! it was a wonderful first contribution, a remarkable performance!

cheers,
schrm
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
magz

Post by magz »

Hi Schrm,

Ah, it appears I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that there was a problem with the word order of the intro and that I had left something out. So I was thinking that since I had to correct that I might as well re-record it and also emphasise the word "A" in the title as you said it sounded unclear.

As regards the pauses, I still have the original Audacity project saved, so shortening them shouldn't be too hard. It's just a matter of time. I'm happy that the current version has been approved, if I manage to do it in time I hope to be able to contribute a newer improved version with shorter pauses!

Thanks for taking the time to explain, and thanks again for your kind words :D

Magz