[Complete] Celebrated Women Travelers of the Nineteenth Century by W.H.Davenport Adams - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
bhavya

Post by bhavya »

OK, sorry for the mistake.
doviecross

Post by doviecross »

Hi! May I claim section 7 for my first official contribution to Librivox? I've passed my 1-minute test!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

doviecross wrote: June 26th, 2018, 3:13 pm Hi! May I claim section 7 for my first official contribution to Librivox? I've passed my 1-minute test!
Hi and welcome!

I will need to add you to the catalog. I will use your forum name, but if you'd prefer your real name or something else, I can easily change it. If you click on your name in the Magic Window, you will be taken to your personal catalog page (a good way to keep track of things you've signed up for!)

Please be sure to read the first post, but if you have questions, please ask.

Edit: that section is very long. If you would prefer your first reading to be something shorter, this section will be held for 2 months, so you can come back to it 8-)
doviecross

Post by doviecross »

I'm enjoying it so far - my only real question is what to do about something like this: "Her literary career had begun three years before this epoch. In 1828 she published at Stockholm her "Sketches of Every-day Life" (Teckningar ur Hvardags-lifort), including, "Axel and Anna," "The Twins," and other stories." I don't speak Norwegian. Should I say the "Teckningar ur Hvardags-lifort" part?
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

doviecross wrote: June 26th, 2018, 6:24 pm I'm enjoying it so far - my only real question is what to do about something like this: "Her literary career had begun three years before this epoch. In 1828 she published at Stockholm her "Sketches of Every-day Life" (Teckningar ur Hvardags-lifort), including, "Axel and Anna," "The Twins," and other stories." I don't speak Norwegian. Should I say the "Teckningar ur Hvardags-lifort" part?
You should... (admittedly some readers skip things like this, but the policy is to read it).
Your options are:

1. Pronounce it phonetically -- you just know how to say it, right? It's extremely unlikely you would be called on it, and if you are, you just have a different accent.

2. You can post a question in our Pronunciation Help thread viewtopic.php?f=23&t=40285 -- but, to be honest, I'm not sure how many Norwegian members we have so I don't know if that will bear fruit.

3. Sometimes there are online resources... but Norwegian doesn't seem that popular :? I found this site https://forvo.com/languages/no/ but I'm not sure how helpful it will be. I tried typing in your phrase and it congratulated me on entering something not in their database :roll:
doviecross

Post by doviecross »

I'll just say it phonetically, then! One of my middle school teachers always said that when you're giving a report you shouldn't stumble over words you don't know how to pronounce - just pick something and say it with confidence and people won't notice. I'll use that tactic.

Thanks!
doviecross

Post by doviecross »

Alright, this is section 7:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/womentravellers_07_adams_128kb.mp3

The recording is 37:12. I noise-reduced it, fixed the volume, and ran it through the checker, so I hope we're good to go. If everything is roses, I'll take Section 8 as well and just finish Fredericka out. If you want to make my name Dovie Cross in the catalog, that would be great.

I know this gets run by a couple of people before it's official, so I'll keep checking the thread to see if there's anything I need to fix, and of course, I'll be back to see about Section 8.

Thanks!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

doviecross wrote: June 27th, 2018, 12:08 am Alright, this is section 7:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/womentravellers_07_adams_128kb.mp3

The recording is 37:12. I noise-reduced it, fixed the volume, and ran it through the checker, so I hope we're good to go. If everything is roses, I'll take Section 8 as well and just finish Fredericka out. If you want to make my name Dovie Cross in the catalog, that would be great.

I know this gets run by a couple of people before it's official, so I'll keep checking the thread to see if there's anything I need to fix, and of course, I'll be back to see about Section 8.

Thanks!
Thank you. In this case, it's just me, so I will check it out today. I'll also sign you up for section 8 in anticipation.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Section 7 is PLOK! Excellent reading :clap: Well done on your first recording.
doviecross

Post by doviecross »

That's great news! Thank you!
doviecross

Post by doviecross »

And here's Section 8, which came in at 37:04:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/womentravellers_08_adams_128kb.mp3

And if that one checks out, I'll take Section 16 now! Thanks!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

doviecross wrote: June 29th, 2018, 12:00 am And here's Section 8, which came in at 37:04:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/womentravellers_08_adams_128kb.mp3

And if that one checks out, I'll take Section 16 now! Thanks!
Thank you.
I'll assign it in anticipation.
JuliaMikheeva

Post by JuliaMikheeva »

Hello! I would like to read section 19 .Mrs. Trollope
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

JuliaMikheeva wrote: June 29th, 2018, 4:30 am Hello! I would like to read section 19 .Mrs. Trollope
Thank you for claiming
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

PlL notes for section 8:
This section would benefit from noise cleaning, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFSg9o37HMw.
~2:30 a stumble "belongs to the ornaments of her balcony"
~25:49 stumble " shod with yellow slippers or bottines"

Please re-upload with the same file name. The old file will be renamed and kept (until I delete it).