Hello!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
ErickMcFarlow

Post by ErickMcFarlow »

Hello, my name is Erick. I've listened to librivox audio books for about 4 years now, and for the last 2 years I wanted to get involved but didn't have the time. I finally found time to possibly listen as a DPL for them, and now I decided it was time I should join. So I looked around and found that DPLing was actually an easy job, unless the reader makes many mistakes, but that okay when they do, because I like to encourage people and be kind, and just have fun. Simply nothing less, and everything more because I would like to let them know that they are doing good, even if it's the 100th time I tell them they are doing good and can keep going, because we always need to feel loved and cared for.

Thanks and God bless, Erick.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Erick, welcome to LibriVox

that is totally fine if you "only" want to prooflisten and not record yourself. Every help here counts. For every section that is recorded we need someone to prooflisten, so your help will be very much appreciated.

It would be good if you could read up on the PL tasks: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17680
so you know about our different levels of PLing.

Encouraging readers is very important, I totally agree with you there. In each reading one can find something encouraging and good. I personally also love the PL jobs. :9:

Something you might consider is downloading the Checker program: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker
because as PL you can help with checking the technical side of the recordings as well. If you cannot do that, at least let the Book Coordinator that, so they will do it themselves and help you out.

To find a project that doesn't have a DPL yet, you need to look for the ~ in front of the name. For example in "Books" I see already a few projects that still have the ~ . viewforum.php?f=2

Or you regularly check in the New projects forum, and if you're fast you can secure yourself a DPL job in one of the projects that have just started. viewforum.php?f=28 For the moment they all seem to have one already apart from one Spanish book. If you happen to speak Spanish you can help there :) But there will always be more to come.

Hope that answers your questions. Good luck and have fun !!!

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
ErickMcFarlow

Post by ErickMcFarlow »

Thank you Kitty, (I don't know anyone's names yet :lol: ), I will tried to download the checker, but I have a chromebook, and it's my only cpu and it wouldn't let me download it. I can download files, so I can listen to audio, but I cannot download the checker...

I think it's great that you use ~ to let people know if they need a listener, that makes so much sense and it's really helpful. Who knew one little thing could help so much, lol. Anyway, I read over the dpl thing, and I looked into BC, and now I realized I can BC and PL! Literally, there are two things I don't have to use my voice in now.

Thanks, this place keeps getting better :9:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ErickMcFarlow wrote: June 21st, 2018, 5:50 am Thank you Kitty, (I don't know anyone's names yet :lol: ),
my name is Sonia ;) I signed my post with it :mrgreen:
I will tried to download the checker, but I have a chromebook, and it's my only cpu and it wouldn't let me download it. I can download files, so I can listen to audio, but I cannot download the checker...
oh ok, well I don't know how you can download it for chromebook. But if it doesn't work, just let the BC know and then they will do that part of the job.
now I realized I can BC and PL! Literally, there are two things I don't have to use my voice in now.
yes that's true. To BC a project maybe it would be good to first do a round of DPL though, to see how it all works here and what is involved in the job. Or maybe start out as a Co-BC with someone, to learn the ropes.

What you also don't need your voice for is doing the little colourful CD designs. If you are artistically inclined, that would be a part to help out as well. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28785

you see....there is SO much to do. :lol:

Have fun !

Sonia
ErickMcFarlow

Post by ErickMcFarlow »

Sonia, if I drew something, everyone would wonder if I even had hands :lol: I am really not good at that department, my drawings look like infants coloring. Thanks, and I can't find something to DPL yet... :hmm:
ErickMcFarlow

Post by ErickMcFarlow »

Btw, Chrombooks are literally only good for internet
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ErickMcFarlow wrote: June 21st, 2018, 6:04 am Sonia, if I drew something, everyone would wonder if I even had hands :lol: I am really not good at that department, my drawings look like infants coloring.
oh usually we never draw ourselves, we take images from public domain. Look at all the little CD covers in the projects I participated in for example: https://librivox.org/reader/10179 doesn't it look colourful ? :9:
Thanks, and I can't find something to DPL yet... :hmm:
what would interest you ?

Here are some that are in need:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=70684
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=70470
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40516
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70049
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69446
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69445

maybe one of them you will like

Sonia
ErickMcFarlow

Post by ErickMcFarlow »

Very colorful.

Ugh, I don't it depends upon the book. I like classics, history. Those.

Thank you again.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hi, Erick. Welcome aboard.

One other instance where a proof listener is needed is where the BC (Book Coordinator) is also the DPL (Dedicated Proof Listener) on a group project, but can't proof listen the chapters they themselves record. That happens to me a lot. I usually try to invite a new member to help me out, it gives them an opportunity to learn and gives me a chance to take them by the hand and show them around. I have a few newbie PL'ers in the wings at the moment, but I'll keep you in mind for on down the line. :thumbs:

I love history too.
ErickMcFarlow

Post by ErickMcFarlow »

Thank you