No email notifications being received

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

I have just begun participating in a new project "Human Nature And Conduct" by John Dewey.
I have uploaded files I have read, and see ON-LINE that there are PL notes, but nothing is appearing in my email.
It would be very helpful to receive such information.
Please help.
Thanks,
-- williamjones
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

I think you can get useful email notifications for two categories of actions. One, you get a notification if you subscribe to a forum or a topic. Any new post in that topic or forum will trigger an email to your address. You can even do something similar with a post, namely you can get a notification if somebody quotes your post. The other category of notifications is when you get a private message (PM).

I don't think you can get notified if somebody changes the information in the Magic Window, and that is why we usually request a post to be made about those changes. E.g. if you read something and wait for it to be approved (PLed), you sign up to that thread and the PLer will post a message when they finish PLing your stuff. Or somebody else's stuff. And posting a reply in the thread to which you have subscribed, tells the system to notify you. Then you go and look.

There is also "bookmarking" of topics and forums, but I am not sure if this is connected to the notification system.

You can manage your subscriptions in your Control Panel. Click on the down arrow next to your name, and then "User Control Panel", and take a look.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

This is the first LV email I've received since October of last year!

I would like to get notifications by email when PL notes are posted with errors that need correction. or if the MC/BC/XC whatever asks a question of me.
I have gone thru the pages and subpages found in the UCP and checked almost everything to "Yes".

Still, no joy.

I think there's a matter of "subscribing" that I don't understand.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

In addition to checking stuff in UCP, please subscribe to the thread of the project in which you participate.

For example, you open this thread, at the top, above the first post there is the "Post Reply" button and right next to it there is smaller one with a wrench. It opens a drop-down menu, the top item is "Subscribe topic". Click on that. Once you have clicked, any new post should cause an e-mail notification.
tovarisch
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

tovarisch wrote: June 21st, 2018, 12:27 pm In addition to checking stuff in UCP, please subscribe to the thread of the project in which you participate.

For example, you open this thread, at the top, above the first post there is the "Post Reply" button and right next to it there is smaller one with a wrench. It opens a drop-down menu, the top item is "Subscribe topic". Click on that. Once you have clicked, any new post should cause an e-mail notification.
The first item in the wrench drop down list is "UNsubscribe". If I click that, then that first item becomes "Subscribe". (I clicked it back) Therefore, I think this indicates that I am, indeed, subscribed because I am offered the opportunity to UNsubscribe.

Note: I *DID* receive an email announcing your reply quoted above.

A year ago I had a similar problem with email notifications. Suddenly it got fixed, but I don't know how or by whom.

If you can help, I would very much appreciate it.

-- Bill Jones
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

I recall that there was some discussion about subscription problems after our server was upgraded, and I am not sure what the resolution was. Have you tried searching in the forums?
tovarisch
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

tovarisch wrote: June 21st, 2018, 12:46 pm I recall that there was some discussion about subscription problems after our server was upgraded, and I am not sure what the resolution was. Have you tried searching in the forums?
Yes, but without success.
Thanks for your prompt responses!
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

... in addition, I think it's possible that the system does not send any notifications if, at the time of somebody else's post, you're logged in. That's why I usually explicitly log out after I've finished reading or writing/uploading.
tovarisch
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Usually the problem people have with getting email notifications is that they've checked the thread (from a notification) when they're not logged in. If you don't log in, the system won't know you've responded to the previous notification, so it won't send any new ones. The way to fix it is to view the thread when you're logged in.

EDIT: Tovarisch - I get notifications when I'm logged in. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

TriciaG wrote: June 21st, 2018, 12:51 pm Usually the problem people have with getting email notifications is that they've checked the thread (from a notification) when they're not logged in. If you don't log in, the system won't know you've responded to the previous notification, so it won't send any new ones. The way to fix it is to view the thread when you're logged in.

EDIT: Tovarisch - I get notifications when I'm logged in. :)
Many thanks! That rings a bell from when this happened over a year ago.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
Gavenport

Post by Gavenport »

Hmm I'm always log in but lately I got no emails also when someone posted something into a thread I have subscribed.
Gavenports Reader Page
Aktuelles Solo-Projekt: in Vorbereitung 'Die Ahnen - Aus einer kleinen Stadt'
DPL: -
schrm

Post by schrm »

i second that!

most emails i get, but somehow at least 1 a day doesnt get sent.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Gavenport

Post by Gavenport »

changed email-adress and now it works (again)

<subject solved> ;-)
Gavenports Reader Page
Aktuelles Solo-Projekt: in Vorbereitung 'Die Ahnen - Aus einer kleinen Stadt'
DPL: -