Listening, not reading

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
ErickMcFarlow

Post by ErickMcFarlow »

Although some of you would love to hear my Scottish accent, that might not be the case. I really would like to read something, but unfortunately it might not be the case. I am more of a listening type, so the DPL job would probably we an easier one for me.

So I had a question, what if I only DPLed and never read a single section?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

We have other volunteers that are DPLs only and have never recorded a syllable. No worries!
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Hello, Erick,

Welcome!

Proof-listeners are just as valuable a part of LibriVox as the readers. If you don't feel like reading, it's perfectly fine.

We do ask to complete one small recording -- the 1-minute test. It's recommended even for proof-listeners so they would be aware what the readers need to accomplish to make the reading acceptable, and as a proof-listener you'll be the one to tell them what to fix if they go astray in technical aspects of their work.

It's not an audition. It's relatively simple, I assure you. Do give it a try please.

Anyway, it is good to have you with us! :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

We do ask to complete one small recording -- the 1-minute test. It's recommended even for proof-listeners so they would be aware what the readers need to accomplish to make the reading acceptable, and as a proof-listener you'll be the one to tell them what to fix if they go astray in technical aspects of their work.
This has never been a requirement that I've known of. Why would someone have to possibly buy a mic just for a test?

Here are two resources from the wiki:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Guide_for_Proof-listeners
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=ProofListening_tips_and_quiz
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
ErickMcFarlow

Post by ErickMcFarlow »

Tovarisch does have a point however, I shouldn't be such a scaredy cat, and I should share my Scottish accent, but no, I don't have a mic.

Thanks for helping me out :thumbs:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I started out just thinking I could PL a few things now and then - and that was 10 years ago. If anyone had suggested I needed to do a test I wouldn't still be here . Nobody needs to give technical advice , there is always people around that can give that.
As for your accent, the only time I've not be able to follow one , is when I was in a room watching TV of a soccer match and everyone else was a supporter of the Scottish team, the more exiting it got ,the less I understood :D

Anne
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I noticed your interests include motivation and encouraging. With these traits you'll be a great DPL! I mean, everybody will want you! You won't have time for recording yourself :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ErickMcFarlow

Post by ErickMcFarlow »

sssh, I don't need everyone to know :lol:

No, I would take a dpl job now, I am not interested in any of the ones up right now.