COMPLETE[PLAY]Charley's Aunt by Brandon Thomas - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: May 28th, 2018, 2:24 pm Here's Brassett. Can't wait to assemble this play and hear it all together!
:shock: this must have slipped under my radar ! It will be on my PL list for today. Sorry. And I'm really looking forward to this role, I already read some of Brassett while PLing the other readers and I remember I was thinking, this role is so perfect for Todd :mrgreen:

Stay tuned !

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wonderful, Todd, your Brassett is exactly like I pictured him. 8-) Always dry and absolutely "correct" in his manners, but what he is secretly thinking is another matter ;) And you have mastered the art of saying "Yes, Sir" in a hundred different meaningful ways. :lol:

Oh, and I positively adore the chuckles you’re doing in Act 2 !!!! But I bet you knew I would mention this :mrgreen:

all three acts PL ok.

Just one note for consideration in Act 1:

> at 1:20: Well, sir, I'm afraid our credit in the kitchen is somewhat exhausted. (Pronounced "hegs-austed" by taking a catch- breath in the middle.) - didn’t you want to pronounce it “hegs” ? or did you miss this explanation ? either way, it’s fine, I love the stumble in the voice

Sonia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I want you to know that I haven't forgotten this project! I don't have as much time for LV this summer as I'd like, but I'm doing what I can here and there. Act 2 is recorded. Before editing, it's about an hour and a half, and of course that includes a lot of fumbles. So I think this one shouldn't be as massive as Act 1 was.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: June 5th, 2018, 11:17 pmBefore editing, it's about an hour and a half, and of course that includes a lot of fumbles. So I think this one shouldn't be as massive as Act 1 was.
this sounds promising 8-)

thanks Devorah for the update !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: May 31st, 2018, 1:31 am Just one note for consideration in Act 1:

> at 1:20: Well, sir, I'm afraid our credit in the kitchen is somewhat exhausted. (Pronounced "hegs-austed" by taking a catch- breath in the middle.) - didn’t you want to pronounce it “hegs” ? or did you miss this explanation ? either way, it’s fine, I love the stumble in the voice

Sonia
I had tried but I think that was a hegsy as I could get. Maybe my pop-screen took away too much of the h sound. Movers are here this morning! Can't fix it for about a month. I'm not cut off from the forum et al yet, but certainly can't do any more recording for a while.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: June 6th, 2018, 3:56 am I had tried but I think that was a hegsy as I could get.
:lol: I see. Well, no need to fix anything, it sounds good as it is.
Movers are here this morning!
wo-hoo ! the big day is upon you ! Good luck with the move.

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

Here is Ela, Act 3:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/charleysaunt_eladelahay_03_128kb.mp3

For the line
ALL. A secret? Oh, really? (etc.)
I added a "what is it?" for the "etc." in case you needed more variation to work with.

Also, for my final "Auntie!" I tried about 15 different intonations, but couldn't settle on one. Finally I've provided 2 versions for your selection. Do you prefer "amused" or "endearing"? :D (I also had "endearingly amused" and "amusingly endearing", as well as "surprised", "surprisingly amused" "amusingly surprised", "genuinely surprised"... among others... :lol: :lol: :lol: ).
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: June 7th, 2018, 5:57 am For the line
I added a "what is it?" for the "etc." in case you needed more variation to work with.
hm well of course this infringes on our "don't change the text" policy. I let Todd decide what he wants to use there
Also, for my final "Auntie!" I tried about 15 different intonations, but couldn't settle on one. Finally I've provided 2 versions for your selection. Do you prefer "amused" or "endearing"? :D (I also had "endearingly amused" and "amusingly endearing", as well as "surprised", "surprisingly amused" "amusingly surprised", "genuinely surprised"... among others... :lol: :lol: :lol: ).
:lol: would have loved to hear all these variations. Maybe keep it for a podcast one day ;)

As for Ela Act 3, she's totally PL ok. :thumbs: Awww your romantic confessions to fake auntie were so sweet. :9: Although how anybody could mistake Babbs for a woman is a mystery to me :lol: I look forward to hearing this dialogue assembled together with Tomas' part !

Thanks

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty wrote: June 7th, 2018, 6:32 am
benderca wrote: June 7th, 2018, 5:57 am For the line
hm well of course this infringes on our "don't change the text" policy. I let Todd decide what he wants to use there
I didn't "change" it per se, I kept the line in tact and just added an "etc.," as directed, in case everyone saying the exact same thing at the exact same time sounds forced -- feel free to cut it out. :D
Kitty wrote: June 7th, 2018, 6:32 am
:lol: would have loved to hear all these variations. Maybe keep it for a podcast one day ;)
hee hee -- i do still have them all, aaaauuuunnnntie. :9:

Kitty wrote: June 7th, 2018, 6:32 am As for Ela Act 3, she's totally PL ok. :thumbs: Awww your romantic confessions to fake auntie were so sweet. :9: Although how anybody could mistake Babbs for a woman is a mystery to me :lol: I look forward to hearing this dialogue assembled together with Tomas' part !

Thanks

Sonia
You're very welcome! I can't wait to hear the finished recording either! This play is hilarious! I'd love to perform it some day on stage...

Thanks for PLing!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Working through Act I, I found out that the last part of the recording didn't happen. It was when I was having problems with Audacity cutting out -- probably my ailing laptop. Just a few lines at the end to add.

Act II is in good shape to submit, and I'll tray to do Act III tonight.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/charleysaunt_colonel_2_128kb.mp3 12:00
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote: June 18th, 2018, 10:28 am Working through Act I, I found out that the last part of the recording didn't happen. It was when I was having problems with Audacity cutting out -- probably my ailing laptop. Just a few lines at the end to add.
aww luckily most of it could be salvaged :?
Act II is in good shape to submit, and I'll tray to do Act III tonight.
looking extremely forward to this one !!! Thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote: June 18th, 2018, 10:28 am Act II is in good shape to submit
oh, Larry, you are quite the heart-throb here :9: that scene where you woo fake Donna Lucia with the floweret speech is simply adorable. I was so mushing here while listening. The speech is completely wasted on Tomas :lol: (the thought of you two having this speech on stage is quite surrealistic :mrgreen: ) Well at least later on you show your romantic side to the right Donna Lucia as well. I can fully understand why she is falling for the guy. Wonderfully played out :thumbs:

You did miss some lines though. The text is really a mess, so it's not your fault at all:

> at about 4:10: missing line: (Aside.) What is he stopping here for? (Aloud.) Have a cigarette?

> at about 5:51: here is a lengthy part, not specifically named for Chesney, but in the context, it must be him saying these lines:
LORD FANCOURT, with long strides, steals quickly across to L.U.E., and is nearly off as SIR FRANCIS says: It's so good of you to come. (Turns.) (LORD FANCOURT, seeing SIR FRANCIS turn, stops L.U.E., his attempt to bolt is frustrated.)
(Sees LORD FANCOURT at L.U.E.) Won't you sit down? (LORD FANCOURT Sits L. of C. table.)
(Aside.) By jove, got her at last! Now for the plunge! I'll begin with a compliment. (Looks at LORD FANCOURT, then away again.) I wonder what's her real age? However, a woman's never too old for a compliment, so here goes! (Coming to table--clears throat.)
(LORD FANCOURT clears throat too.)
(Aloud.) Donna Lucia, you'll pardon the rude metaphor of an old campaigner, I'm sure, but to meet you to-day for the first time, as I have done, is to me like a lonely traveller coming across some--er bright little floweret--(Their eyes meet. Indicating L.) by the wayside.

> at 10:42: “a young fellow named Wykeham.” you say “Wickenham” but I reply “Wykeham” (beginning sounding like “why”) it will sound a bit strange if I reply with a different pronunciation. But that might be optional

> at about 10:52: missing sentence: "Who is entertaining some ladies--two young ladies (DONNA LUCIA smiles at ELA)--and his aunt."

> at 11:20: “Certainly” – from the context, I think that is Donna Lucia saying this, it can be cut out

> oh something I almost forgot, the volume is only at 83 dB. Can be adjusted later on though...

> and I suppose you want to add the voice credit to the first act. That one is missing still. :)

thank you for this wonderful performance, Larry.

Sonia
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I've added the last line which was missing to Kitty Verdun Act 3:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/charleysaunt_kittyverdun_3.mp3

I had thought about going back and changing all the "Spettigue" names to be consistent with everyone else, but I'm afraid I'm not well enough and I don't want to hold up the project for a pronunciation issue. Also, I wasn't sure if my lines have been edited in already? If not, I'd still like to change this, but it will take me probably 2-3 weeks to get to it. How soon is this project likely to complete?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Elizabby wrote: June 19th, 2018, 5:28 am I've added the last line which was missing to Kitty Verdun Act 3:
thanks, Beth, all PL ok now :)
I had thought about going back and changing all the "Spettigue" names to be consistent with everyone else
so far I think you are the only one who is saying it differently, but it's really up to you. Who knows how the others will say it which haven't handed in their lines yet ;)
but I'm afraid I'm not well enough and I don't want to hold up the project for a pronunciation issue. Also, I wasn't sure if my lines have been edited in already? If not, I'd still like to change this, but it will take me probably 2-3 weeks to get to it. How soon is this project likely to complete?
well don't worry on that account, I think a few weeks more or less won't matter. Also Todd's computer is safely stashed away in a van somewhere in America :lol: so he won't be doing any editing for the time being. I'll make a note in the MW.

It's up to you, but if you are changing any pronunciations, please let me know the exact time stamps, so I can spot PL easier. Thanks :)

Get well soon :D

Sonia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Elizabby wrote: June 19th, 2018, 5:28 am How soon is this project likely to complete?
Well, they're still waiting on stage directions from me for acts 2 and 3. 2 is recorded, and 3 has barely begun to be recorded. Stage directions in this play are a monster. Much of the humor seems to be slapstick, so it makes sense, I guess, that you need to be heavy on the directions. But I personally think Mr. Thomas went a little overboard. :roll:

Anyway, it'll take me easily 2-3 weeks to hand in my role, so you're safe there.