[COMPLETE] A Key To Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Kathleen.

Section 24 is PL OK

Section 25 is PL OK

Section 26 has a few PL Notes

2:05, 7:32 executors, I believe should be pronounced eggs-x'-u-tors, not x'-e-cute-ers (although they did their fair share of executing :cry: ).
8:29 The remainder of Blair's account, I hear reminder
17:57 footnote "that is to say" end footnote, could well be deleted, or you could repeat "Gibbon's Decline and Fall, Chapter II."
What makes sense on paper sometimes doesn't translate into audio, and of course footnotes need not be included unless they significantly enhance the text.
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

I will happily PL Section 19.
~Angelique
2839reader

Post by 2839reader »

Hi, corrections made on chapter. "executors" sentence, 8:20 "The remainder" sentence, and I cut out footnote. Thanks
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_26_stowe_128kb.mp3
18:39
Signature: KATHLEEN
msfry

Post by msfry »

Kathleen, I still hear "execute" as your root word at 2:05 and 7:32 (two places).
Let me take another stab at phonetic spelling , egg-zek'-u-tors. I did it wrong last time. Sorry.
All else is okay.
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

CHAPTER V.
PROTECTIVE ACTS OF SOUTH CAROLINA AND LOUISIANA.—THE IRON COLLAR OF LOUISIANA AND NORTH CAROLINA.

PL Notes:
10:00
Text: "true intent and meaning of this section," you substitute "act" for "section."
You may want to revise as it constitutes minor material change.

Otherwise, it is again pleasant to hear your voice, threaded with subtle intonations.
This is a difficult book to stomach; your rendering strikes an even keel tone blended with the author's tone of outrage at these atrocities, marking the work as difficult and yet deeply important.

I shall, with pleasure, PL more of your works, as time allows.
~Angelique
2839reader

Post by 2839reader »

Signature: KATHLEEN
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you Kathleen. 26 is PL OK. :thumbs:
msfry

Post by msfry »

BurgundyGrace wrote: June 12th, 2018, 11:08 pm CHAPTER V.
PROTECTIVE ACTS OF SOUTH CAROLINA AND LOUISIANA.—THE IRON COLLAR OF LOUISIANA AND NORTH CAROLINA.

PL Notes:
10:00
Text: "true intent and meaning of this section," you substitute "act" for "section."
You may want to revise as it constitutes minor material change.

Otherwise, it is again pleasant to hear your voice, threaded with subtle intonations.
This is a difficult book to stomach; your rendering strikes an even keel tone blended with the author's tone of outrage at these atrocities, marking the work as difficult and yet deeply important.

I shall, with pleasure, PL more of your works, as time allows.
Section 19 repaired and uploaded. Spot check this at 10:00 and let me know if I'm PL OK.
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/keytouncletomscabin_19_stowe_128kb.mp3

TIP: It helps to cite the Section # in your reports. Example: PL Notes Section 19. This aids the reader to locate the files on their computer because the Section ## shows in the filename, whereas the Chapter # and/or Title do not. (Just another one of those little tidbits you learn along the way.)

I want to tell you, Angelique, this is pretty embarrassing stuff for me, especially as I live in Louisiana and have taken countless visitors on plantation tours up and down the Mississippi River. My only defense is my ancestors immigrated to the US long after the Civil War, I never put out any human (or animal) eyes or cut out any tongues, and I don't even know what a cowstick is! :shock:
I sincerely hope I'd have participated in stamping out the practice! And I'm eternally grateful for the invention of modern tools, (backhoes, forklifts, Caterpillars, cranes, etc,) that have made farming and building, so much more humane. Today, Louisiana has wonderfully coordinated migrant worker programs to help us sow and harvest our crops -- from crawfish farms to soy, rice, corn, sugar cane, cotton, cows and more. The cultivated fields as you drive through the South nowadays are truly beautiful, as far as the eye can see.

I worked on 32 and 33 today. Section 10 is ready.
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Thank you for the tip; I copy/paste to myself in email for future reference. (And perhaps I shall even be able to find it later! :hmm: )
Yes, this is a very clean edit; I don't note any splice at all! I recorded several works and posted them on Youtube before rememberig this site. (Unfortunately, they are not in the public domain, so can't be widely shared.)
I DO find that it takes at least four times as long to complete the edit as it does the reading, and the results are terribly choppy. It's been quite frustrating, so hopefully, I can gain some mastery of the Audacity software when I install it in a few days.
Any tips, clues and cues on polishing the sound will be appreciated, so that I do not gnash my teeth and sigh great and terrible sighs. *Smile*

*sigh* I am from Virginia, and I wish I could say the ancestors abhorred the institute of slavery, but such is not the case.
The only action I know to take, for I do not believe there can be any genuine restitution for the far past, is to do my passionate best to ensure we hold the line of human rights in the here and now, despite what I see as a too widespread current climate of hellish opposition to freedom from harm.
Remembering that it was less than 175 years ago when Harriet Beecher Stowe was compelled to append her classic work with A Key to Uncle Tom's Cabin , maintaining multiple records of that to which we shall NOT revert, is critical in solidifying a stance of *Never Again.*
Your selection of this work for posterity in the public domain is good and right, true and proper; it's my pleasure to help, even if only a bit.

Coincidentally, I am in Cincinnati, the site of the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center. I blushingly admit that I've not yet visited, but shall. I suspect the experience will evoke heartbreak, outrage and inspiration by stories of perseverance. If you'd like, I'll share any interesting impressions and information I gain while there.
Freedom Defenders Must Support Each Other, and so I am well pleased to be in collaboration with you!
~Angelique
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

I will PL Section 10 1.10, but it will likely be on Saturday or Sunday, so if anyone else wishes to complete it before then, please so assign to them. Thank you!
~Angelique
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

May I record section 5, 1.5 – "Eliza" as my first recording for Librivox?

As it's short, hopefully I can learn the intricacies of Audacity without terribly taxing the PL in providing suggestions for corrections.
~Angelique
msfry

Post by msfry »

BurgundyGrace wrote: June 13th, 2018, 11:49 pm May I record section 5, 1.5 – "Eliza" as my first recording for Librivox?

As it's short, hopefully I can learn the intricacies of Audacity without terribly taxing the PL in providing suggestions for corrections.
I'll put you in the MW for Section 5, and will happily coach you on editing. I have a few tricks up my sleeve, along with all the Video Tutorials that are posted in our Wiki and on YouTube. I've posted these elsewhere, but where? HA! When I find it I'll send it. :D

My first "trick" is in the recording phase, which I should share now. Lay down good track. Quiet location. Correct settings. Read a few sentences aloud to get your rhythm and voice organized before turning on the Record button. Then try to complete the section in one sitting (as time of day, weather, mood, etc., changes your voice considerably). To keep my mood and momentum going, I record every stumble, cough, sneeze, gasp and giggle, and if I'm not satisfied with the way a word or phrase turns out I just wait a fraction of a second then say it again, and again, until I am satisfied. I DO NOT mark each error with a click or a pop, as it's easy to tell during playback what extraneous material to delete. As long as you get good track laid down somewhere, it will be there at the end and greatly reduce your need to splice.

Editing and splicing techniques are part of the art. You are right to choose short sections for awhile until you get those down, and I look forward to listening to your "first recording for Librivox." Now I'm excited! :D

P.S. Uncle Tom's Cabin was the second book I listened to on LV. It was a wonderful introduction, and set the standard for my own attempts to master this art!
https://librivox.org/uncle-toms-cabin-by-harriet-beecher-stowe/
Chapter 7 covers Eliza's famous escape over the ice flows.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Angelique, before recording please submit your 1 minute test, to get an OK on your tech specs. Instructions are here:
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test.

Also, to put you in the MW for the first time, you must choose a Catalog Name that you want to appear in our Catalog of completed projects. This can be your Real Name, your username, or anything else you'd like to be searchable by. I use Michele Fry in the catalog so my friends and family can easily find me, and msfry as my username. It's your choice, but once chosen, can't be changed on any catalogued material. If you already have a Catalog Name, just advise me what it is.
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Thank you; I'll be truly pleased to receive your guidance in editing, as well as any constructive criticism you may have. :)
I'll soon view the videos for tech specifics, and note other help files, too. It has been a very busy week, but I WILL focus on these projects on the weekend and through next week, including the one minute test.
(I should probably record that when I'm not half asleep and can actually see the text; that seems a good idea, as it just took me four attempts to speak the lines. :D "No, really. I can't SEE the copy at this time, much less well read it." :D Ahhh, but it WILL turn out right; I so determine.)

Oh, yes. Let us get those basics down, and well. Solid foundation is critical in avoiding later chaos and confusion.
I'm looking forward to reading through everything and taking a deeper dive into the files.

I've also saved your recommendation for listening to Uncle Tom's Cabin
From my brief sampling, I note the well placed pauses, and will listen more closely for other speaking notes.
Of course, I've also perused your projects and will listen to more of your completed recordings; I enjoy your work.

I'm ridiculously excited to have my own personal catalog page. It is https://librivox.org/reader/12568 under the "name" of BurgundyGrace; I'll use the same for the username. During the into, I'll list my given name, but for cataloguing, this works well.

Please know that your open welcome, invitation to work with you, and all of these great tips center you as a fine representative for the Librivox site; you've been both inspirational and motivational.
I have your replies highlighted in different colors so that I can better implement your suggestions. Your assistance is valuable, and appreciated.

I shall be back around soon, so if I've neglected to provide information, please let me know.
~Angelique
msfry

Post by msfry »

BurgundyGrace wrote: June 14th, 2018, 11:04 pm
I'm ridiculously excited to have my own personal catalog page. It is https://librivox.org/reader/12568 under the "name" of BurgundyGrace; I'll use the same for the username. During the into, I'll list my given name, but for cataloguing, this works well.
POI (Point Of Interest): you say you'll use your "given name" in the Intros of your recordings, by which I presume you mean Angelique, but you can only be found in the search bars of LV and Archive.org by Burgundy Grace and BurgundyGrace. Hey, you never know when someone might hear your voice and want to scope out your other recordings. :mrgreen:

Thanks for those kind expressions. They are very much appreciated.

You're in the MW now, but feel no rush to record Section 5. You have two months to complete whatever you sign up for......unless the project is so near completion and you're the only one being waited upon, that the BC falls to begging for you to finish. Not likely to happen with this project. :lol: