This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/librivox-13th-anniversary-collection/
LibriVox 13th Anniversary Collection Deadline for submissions is Tuesday July 31 at midnight!
"LibriVox is a hope, an experiment, and a question: can the net harness a bunch of volunteers to bring books in the public domain to life..."
Hugh McGuire, LibriVox's founder, August 9, 2005
This year is the 13th anniversary of our beloved LibriVox. The readings in this collection celebrate that "bunch of volunteers" who make up the worldwide LibriVox community. The readings are held together by their connection to the number "13" or to the word "luck." The collection is multilingual. Readings can be in any language. The selections, which are chosen by the readers, include fiction, nonfiction, poems, short stories, and articles.
1) The reading must have the number "13" or "thirteen." "thirteenth," "Friday the 13th," or the word s "luck" or "Baker's Dozen" in the title, or relate to the idea of 13 in some way. All languages are ok!
2) The selection must be in the public domain. For clarification of what it means for a work to be "in the public domain," please see this section of the LibriVox Wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Copyright_and_Public_Domain. Please stick to works that run less than 60 minutes.
3) Please limit yourself to no more than three contributions per reader.
4) To sign up for a reading from the "suggestions list," please indicate your choice by posting in this thread; you can also sign up to read a selection you have discovered on your own by posting it in this thread. Selections in green are available; selections in red have been claimed.
4) We will start with 20 sections, and see how it goes from there. The collection will close at midnight on July 31, 2018.
Basic Recording Guide: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording
- Be sure to set your recording software to: 44100Hz, 16-bit
- At the BEGINNING Say: "[Title of Work], by [Author Name]" "This is a Librivox recording, read in honor of the 13th anniversary of LibriVox. All Librivox Recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit Librivox.org"
- At the END, say: "End of [Title], by [Author Name]"
- If you wish, you may also say: "Read by ... your name.
- Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording. Add 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording.
- Need noise-cleaning?See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
- Save or export your recording to an mp3 file at 128kpbs using the following format for the filename:
- (all lower case. Please omit a, the, etc from title):
- Please keep the file name short. It isn't necessary to put the whole title in the file name - just a word or two. Please omit "a," "the," etc. from the title. Do not put spaces between words. Keep everything lower case. Even your initials should be lower case. The only underscores should be the separations between the thirteen, title, author's name, and your initials. There are only 4 underscores in a title!
- Please upload your finished recording using the LibriVox uploader: http://librivox.org/login/uploader. When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please copy and post to this thread. If you don't post the fact that you've uploaded your recording, the book coordinator won't know that you did it!
- If you have trouble reading the image above, please send a private message to any admin.
- To upload, you'll need to select the MC, which for the 13th Anniversary Collection is TriciaG.
- If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
- The link you copied from the uploader to your file.
- Source from which you read (i.e. Gutenberg or other etext url. NOTE: If posting a Gutenberg link please provide the link to the download page, e.g. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/# where # is the PG project number for the book.)
- Length in minutes.
- If this is your first Librivox recording, We will also need your name as you would like it to appear on the catalog page and the URL of your homepage if you have one and would like it linked to your name on the catalog page.
- The level of proof listening on this project is "standard." Your recording does not need to be word perfect; we will just proof for "repeated words or passages that the reader likely intended to edit out" and such. For a discussion of the levels of proof listening, please see this Wiki page: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Guide_for_Proof-listeners#Levels_of_Proof-listening.
- We do ask that you complete any editing requested by the Dedicated Proof Listener within two weeks of the request, or, if you need more time than this, that you post in this thread to request an extension. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. Extensions are, however, at the discretion of the Book Coordinator.