Do you keep all your audio files?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
eringrassie

Post by eringrassie »

Hi, All

I'm building up quite a load of fat audio files on my computer. Is there any reason to keep the files once they've been uploaded to Librivox? Would having the original .mp3 be useful for a portfolio of my work or does it even work like that?

Thanks!!
And verily did the chains fall off all manner of things which sorely needed chaining.
I’m ->superpsyched<- for the opportunity to join this community, learn all I can and read all I can.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You don't need to keep the audacity files . Most people keep the mp3 file until it has been uploaded and OKed.
If you need to edit the file, you can just upload it to Audacity and edit.
If you want to keep a personal library (which is quite a good idea, it has been known to be needed after cataloguing) then try using a different file format - I use flac , it's about half the size of mps[ not mp3s , I meant wav ] and it's lossless.

Anne
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

I think it is a good idea to keep the MP3 files for a given project at least until the project is finished and catalogued. While the project is still active someone could accidentally overwrite your finished file on the LV server (I know of it happening at least once). If that happens your version should be recoverable, but keeping your own copy is cheap insurance. And then there was that server crash last fall...

Not quite sure how Anne's flac files come out smaller than her MP3's.
Tom Penn
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

When I record, I edit my files to remove stumbles and repeats. Before applying any noise removal, etc., I export the file as FLAC. Then I run my noise removal, etc. and export it as MP3. I upload the MP3.

I save both the FLAC and the MP3. I've saved them all since the beginning.

- If there are any edits needed, I go back to the FLAC because I can more easily match the noise, volume, etc. to the original. I make my edits (saving the new FLAC) and export a new MP3.

- There have been cases where LV before cataloging, and even Archive after cataloging, have lost files or projects. (A couple years ago we had a case where all work for a month was lost.) Keeping these files ensures I can replace them if needed.

- I've got the storage space, so why not? Better safe than sorry. :)

(Penumbra - I think Anne mis-typed. FLACs are smaller than WAVs, and much smaller and easier to deal with than the original Audacity files.)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

I keep the 16 bit wav file of the finished story/book. Also often the MP3 file. I keep a copy of these also on the cloud in Dropbox. I do delete all of the working DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) files which amount to lots of Gigabytes. I can always re-edit or use the 16bit wav file if I need to.

Peter
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

As soon as a file is catalogued (or a little bit later) I delete the folders and files from the working process, but I keep the final mp3, as mp3.

If I'd really need to re-edit a file after deleting the DAW-files, well, shit happens. I'd take the mp3 then, my ears are not that fine ...
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

(Penumbra - I think Anne mis-typed. FLACs are smaller than WAVs, and much smaller and easier to deal with than the original Audacity files.)
You're right - I'll add a note to the post

Anne
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Greetings! I save all solo recordings as mp3 and flac on my computer and on a flash drive. Then I clean out the Audacity files. I've never needed the saved files, but I sure enjoy the satisfaction of cleaning up and putting things away at the end of a long project.

Peace be with you,
Sister
Cori

Post by Cori »

I'm with Monaxi (except I only keep MP3, not flac.) Definitely the tidying up feeling, though!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'm perhaps a bit extreme: I keep both a flac file and the mp3. The flac file to allow lossless editing, if needed later, and the mp3 to save me the bother of recreating it if I want to listen to it or give it to a friend.

I have plenty of space, as I have a dedicated external hard drive.
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
eringrassie

Post by eringrassie »

Thank you all for the great input! I'm getting to understand the mp3/FLAC/DAW file difference and what's reasonable to store. Thanks, TriciaG for your order of operations suggestion. Peter's suggestion on having an external hard drive might be a good idea, too as I get more reading in. Considering how much fun I have reading (editing, too!) it's going to be a lot.
Thank you!! - erin :D
And verily did the chains fall off all manner of things which sorely needed chaining.
I’m ->superpsyched<- for the opportunity to join this community, learn all I can and read all I can.