PBS 100 Great Books

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I was wondering if anyone has watched the programs or checked out PBS websites on the 100 Great Books? I find the list very interesting, with some titles that aren’t familiar to me. I have read some of the books and added others to my ever growing list of “books to read” :)

Thanks to LibriVox, I’ve been introduced to some of the older books on the list (“Moby Dick”, for example.)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/books/2018/04/20/pbs-list-top-100-great-books-vote-favorite-great-american-read-series/515909002/
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

On a quick go through I've read 55 which rather surprised me. I didn't include any I'd seen as film or TV - I had to have read a book.

Anne
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I've read 43, but there are some on this list that I started and didn't want to finish or refuse to read. I don't consider this 100 great anything if it includes Twilight!
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Elizabby wrote: June 9th, 2018, 8:28 pm I've read 43, but there are some on this list that I started and didn't want to finish or refuse to read. I don't consider this 100 great anything if it includes Twilight!
I agree with you about some of the books. “Most popular” would be more appropriate in some cases rather than “Great”. Watching people describe why they liked a particular book was very interesting. The book that each person liked the most spoke to that person in a special way.

Nedge

Post by Nedge »

"Great Books" is different than "favorite books," which is more what the series seems to be about, once you watch the opening episode. I can certainly see Twilight being someone's favorite, but great? Maybe not so much. :)

I think my very favorite on that list has to be "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn." I would love to be the one (or one of the ones) to read it.

Nan
"Ready, willing, and vaguely competent." -- Sandra Boynton, 2021
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I was disappointed that “‘The Yearling” wasn’t on the list. I first saw the movie when I was too young to read the book, but it made a big impression on me...of course I sobbed and sobbed when Jody had to kill the deer. I read the book several years later and it’s always been a favorite of mine. I think good books that a person reads at a young age (especially adolescence) have a lifelong influence on a person.

It’s a shame the book is too “new” for LibriVox. It would be a great project.

Hhhmmm..l think I’ll read “The Yearling” again soon.

Does anyone else have a favorite book that didn’t make the PBS list?

Nedge

Post by Nedge »

Mary, my father always wanted me to read THE YEARLING, but I never did. I don't think it was obstinacy on my part -- I simply knew I couldn't handle the deer dying at the end.

There are SO many children's books I would love to read that are not in the public domain. I'm brand new here and got the brilliant idea to check out the Oz books. (Every one has at least two versions already, with The Wizard of Oz having SEVEN!)

Nan
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Nedge wrote: June 11th, 2018, 10:09 am Mary, my father always wanted me to read THE YEARLING, but I never did. I don't think it was obstinacy on my part -- I simply knew I couldn't handle the deer dying at the end.

Nan
I understand what you mean about the deer dying, but that isn’t the end of the story. It’s a very big part of it, of course. When I re-read the story as an adult, I looked at it somewhat differently than when I read it as a child. Reading it again as an older adult, I’m sure I’ll see something new in it again. I agree with your dad’s recommendation. “The Yearling” is a book well worth reading.

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

There is a sequel Oz book currently open for claims, if that would interest you: The Shaggy Man in Oz, light green link in my signature. It's not by Frank Baum but based on his material.
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

Wow -- that looks wonderful! (Reading through it, there's some similarity to Pleasantville.) If it's still available when I get back from my trip, I will volunteer for sure. Thank you!

Nan
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

mhhbook wrote: June 11th, 2018, 7:48 pm
Nedge wrote: June 11th, 2018, 10:09 am Mary, my father always wanted me to read THE YEARLING, but I never did. I don't think it was obstinacy on my part -- I simply knew I couldn't handle the deer dying at the end.

Nan
I understand what you mean about the deer dying, but that isn’t the end of the story. It’s a very big part of it, of course. When I re-read the story as an adult, I looked at it somewhat differently than when I read it as a child. Reading it again as an older adult, I’m sure I’ll see something new in it again. I agree with your dad’s recommendation. “The Yearling” is a book well worth reading.
After posting what a great book “The Yearling” is, I decided to read it again. I downloaded the audiobook from the library’s Libby app. It is beautifully read by Tom Stechschulte. While I remembered the basic story, I had forgotten that the book was so well written... almost poetic. A person could definitely benefit by skipping at least one “great” book from the PBS list and read “The Yearling” instead.