COMPLETE The Life of Rev. Henry Martyn by John Hall -choc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

The Life of Rev. Henry Martyn by John Hall (1806 - 1894).

This project is complete! All audio files are available on our catalog page:
https://librivox.org/the-life-of-rev-henry-martyn-by-john-hall/

Henry Martyn (1806 - 1894), a brilliant and ambitious young student in Cambridge, England, was led by God to be a missionary to India and Persia. While pastoring, starting schools, and teaching the locals as well as Europeans through his role as chaplain for the East India Company, he worked on several far-reaching Bible translations. All this despite much weakness and illness due to harsh climates and difficult travels. This short life of 31 years is a testament to the power of God to work through one life fully dedicated to Him. (Summary by HannahMary)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://books.google.com.ai/books?id=UK6N3ocU5zcC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f;=false
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Life of Rev. Henry Martyn. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • Say: "The Life of Rev. Henry Martyn, by John Hall. Chapter [number]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Life of Rev. Henry Martyn by John Hall. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Chapter [number]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Life of Rev. Henry Martyn, by John Hall. "
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"

There should be ~5 seconds' silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename henrymartyn_##_hall_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. henrymartyn_01_hall_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: chocoholic
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by HannahMary on October 8th, 2018, 11:57 am, edited 5 times in total.
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
Blog: Come Be Still
IG: @storytime.with.hannahmary
Readers needed for:
A Rough Shaking by George MacDonald
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

As I have not yet finished a first reading of the book, I will save the official summary writing as well as submission of keywords for later.

Here are a couple other text sources if preferred:
https://archive.org/details/lifeofrevhenryma00hallrich
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/009716352
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
Readers needed for:
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I'll MC -- back in a bit with your MW.
Laurie Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

You're all set! I've used the Archive version as the official text link because it's likely to be available to the most people (Google Books are blocked in some countries). I've also shortened the suggested file name; you're welcome to change it if you like, as long as it still has the same basic form (title_##_author_128kb).
Laurie Anne
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Great! Thanks, Laurie! Yes, I appreciate shortened file names. :D
I'll see if I can start recording next week, because the week after won't work.
Looking forward to this project!
~ Hannah
Readers needed for:
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Well, it will be another week plus before I can record, but I got the MW filled in, so it should be easy to start when there is time. The appendix looks rather longer than the rest of the sections, so I may end up having to split that in two. I'll have more idea as I get started and see how long it takes to read each page.
~ Hannah
Readers needed for:
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Moved to Solos. The last section is always the easiest one to split after the fact. :)
Laurie Anne
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

chocoholic wrote: June 9th, 2018, 1:34 pm Moved to Solos. The last section is always the easiest one to split after the fact. :)
Sounds good. Thanks, Laurie!
~ Hannah
Readers needed for:
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Recording has begun! :D
~ Hannah
Readers needed for:
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Chapter one is ready for PL at 13 minutes and 54 seconds. (I need to re-record the short preface with a new pronunciation).

If no DPL finds this project before long, I'll check with a couple I know.
~ Hannah
Readers needed for:
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Good! We can post an ad for a DPL in Listeners/Editors Wanted (no putting anyone on the spot). Would you like to do it or shall I?
Laurie Anne
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

chocoholic wrote: June 21st, 2018, 3:11 pm Good! We can post an ad for a DPL in Listeners/Editors Wanted (no putting anyone on the spot). Would you like to do it or shall I?
Oh, I can. Thanks for the idea!
~ Hannah
Readers needed for:
ErickMcFarlow

Post by ErickMcFarlow »

Do you still need a DPL? I can't check the technical however, but I can check for reading errors.
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

ErickMcFarlow wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 9:29 am Do you still need a DPL? I can't check the technical however, but I can check for reading errors.
I do still need a DPL, and you are welcome if you're interested, Erick! I see this may be new to you, so feel free to ask questions as they come up.

The Checker program was hard for me to download at first as well, but I finally found the right combination of versions and updates on my computer. But even if that isn't possible on yours, I always run my files through Checker before posting, so you shouldn't need to re-check the technicals. It would be great if you could verify the following in my recordings:

- No obvious skips or repeats or long pauses in reading (if found, please note the time)
- The proper length of silence at beginning (less than 1 second) and ending (at least 5 seconds)
- Correct intro/ending script (see first post of this thread)
- Let me know if there is distracting background noise.
- Make sure the total file length matches what I list in the Magic Window (MW) above.

If you are unsure how picky I would be in any of these areas, just ask, and I'll let you know if I am fine with what you found or not.
~ Hannah
Readers needed for:
ErickMcFarlow

Post by ErickMcFarlow »

This looks good. I hope everything goes well, and thank you so much.