[COMPLETE] Marius the Epicurean, Vol 2 by Walter Pater - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Thank you, Lynda for your kindness and your PL!

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Lynda:

Section 6 is in the MW and ready for PL.

Many thanks,

Philip
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

As per normal -

Section 6 is PL OK!

Are you still doing the record and fix as you go method? If so can you explain to me how you do it? Your recordings sound so good and I cannot tell that you have any breaks for fixing any incorrect pronunciations etc.

Lynda
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Lynda:

Thanks for you PL and your kindness. Yes, I'm still doing the fix as you go method, but I've quit doing it on this project and also on long sections (like the one you just PL'd in the Broun book). Reason: in the longer sections it messes up the "flow" of my reading. In shorter sections, that is not such a problem.

I quit doing it for this project because, as badly as I wanted to read this work for Librivox, Pater's sentence structure is very complicated, and at points almost impossible to get through. I think the underlying ideas of the work are really quite valuable, but I do wish he had written more directly to the point (no disrespect intended either to Pater or his fans).

As for how--when you know you've messed up, just stop. Then cut out the place with the error (I usually stop immediately, and then eliminate everything back to the beginning of the sentence where the error occurred). Once that is removed, I just pick up from the beginning of that sentence and move ahead. I've almost quit just replacing a single word or phrase in favor of replacing a whole sentence because it makes the error more difficult to detect.

Now, once the recording is finished, you still need to go and re listen to the whole thing primarily because those places where you restarted will need to be fixed (and if you're like me, you have forgotten to stop and fix something) . Audacity puts a fairly thick bar on the vocal track where you restarted, but if you click on it it goes away. The other thing is your silence is longer than it should be when you do that--so it needs to be trimmed.

I'm still experimenting, so it's nice to have feedback on how things sound.

Philip
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Thanks Phillip for the explanation!

So what would be an example of something that I would be PL'ing that you would be doing this type of recording on?

I would like to see if I can tell a difference as so far I cannot.

Lynda
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Lynda:

I can't think of anything that you are currently PL-ing, but there was a section in a project aht was not mine that you did in the past, but I can't call it to mind....although I'm about to do Chapter 4 of the Broun book and I'll do it that way to give you a reference point.

Philip
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

I just PL'd Chapter 4.

I cannot tell the difference between the two types of recording! They both sound perfect to me and there are no breaks that I can hear. You have such a good deep voice for recording and you are really great at patching things up!

I think either is good as you said depending on the length of the passage.

I am going to try it on one of my solo efforts to see how I do!

Lynda
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Lynda:

Sections 7-10 are in the MW and ready for PL. (I don't mean to "dump" these on you--but when the site went down....that's all the Librivox work I could get my hands on).

Many thanks,

Philip
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Not a problem at all!

I actually did the exact same thing and have a bunch recorded and Helen and I think Lindy will be getting a surprise in a few minutes :D

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Philliip -

Section 7 is PL OK!

Very good read again!

Lynda
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Thanks, Lynda!

Philip
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Phillip -

Section 8 - only feedback is you need to review the Latin section at the bottom of the text vs. your recording -

TANTUM ERGO SACRAMENTUM VENEREMUR CERNUI:
ET ANTIQUUM DOCUMENTUM
NOVO CEDAT RITUI.

The VENEREMUR CERNUI: is said three times and the spaces could be cleaned up so it flows better.

Lynda
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Thanks for your PL, Lynda. I'll get this cleaned up.

Philip
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Phillip -

Section 9 is done too and that is PL - Awesome!

I cannot update the MW right now as I needed to reboot my laptop and unknown to me there was an update waiting which has now been "working" for an hour. Lovely Microsoft!

So just giving you the update by cell instead!

I will do the next one which is longer tomorrow :clap:

Lynda
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Thanks, again, Lynda!

Philip