Introducing myself!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

Hi, my name is Nan Dodge. The user name I picked is Nedge -- my maiden name was "Edge," and my father, who was an artist, signed his paintings "Wedge." (This is probably more than you wanted to know about THAT!)

I'm 59, just went back to get my degree in psychology from William Paterson, and graduated alongside my oldest daughter. That was a Very Good Day. I'm a mother to five nice grown people, and a grandmother to Walter Forest, who is just discovering what it means to be a toddler. I knit a lot, and have learned to crochet. I read books.

I have listened to Librivox recordings for years. I've also read out loud to five children, and I have wanted to volunteer for a long time now, but getting set up seemed too hard until now. (I'm still working on it. I submitted a successful one-minute test, but when I submitted the poem of the week, it bounced, or never went up, or was taken down.)

Anyhow, I am very happy to finally be on the other end, the volunteering end, of Librivox.

Nan
"Ready, willing, and vaguely competent." -- Sandra Boynton, 2021
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

Phew, there is a learning curve. I found my poem. :oops:
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Welcom, Nan! Yes there is a little bit of a learning curve, but pretty soon it will all be second nature. :wink: We are all a friendly, helpful bunch here, so if you get stuck anywhere, just post in the forum and ask for help.

If the "William Paterson" you are referring to is the one in NJ, I taught a couple of evening courses in chemistry there back in the early '80s. I know the area well! :)
Jo
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

Jo, it is the same University, but it has a facility on the campus of Mercer County Community College in West Windsor, NJ. I took most of my coursework Online.

Thanks for the welcome!

Nan (who's busily looking into odd unfinished chapters and orphans...)

I do have one question, which is probably obvious, but not to me. My name is Nan, or Nancy. Nan Dodge. I put down a user name of Nedge, for a good reason at the time, but if that's how I'm to be known, it's a little awkward. Can I change it? If so, where? (For example, Kara Shallenberg, one of my heroes, is KayRay.) Maybe I'd just like to be Nan Dodge, which is my name. :)
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Nan,

Interesting! I didn't know that William Paterson had a satellite facility at Mercer County CC.

Your forum username is the name that appears on all your posts and assigned sections in the open project threads. Once you claim your first section, you will also be asked what you want to use as a catalog name, which can be the same name that you use on the forum, your real name or another pseudonym. It's up to you. For example Kara is kayray on the forums, but uses Kara Shallenberg in the catalog. Likewise, I am knotyouraveragejo on the forum and J. M. Smallheer in the catalog.

If you would like me to change your forum name from Nedge to Nan Dodge, I can do that for you. Just let me know if you decide that is what you want. Best to do it sooner rather than later. :)
Jo
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

Thank you for the explanation. I'll keep it as it is. :)

Nan
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

:thumbs:
Jo