COMPLETE: North and South by E. Gaskell AF/ge

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

This book is now complete and can be downloaded from the LibriVox catalogue: http://librivox.org/north-and-south-by-elizabeth-gaskell/

SUMMARY - by Dani

Set in Victorian England, North and South is the story of Margaret Hale, a young woman whose life is turned upside down when her family relocates to northern England. As an outsider from the agricultural south, Margaret is initially shocked by the aggressive northerners of the dirty, smoky, industrial town of Milton. But as she adapts to her new home, she defies social conventions with her ready sympathy and defense of the working poor. Her passionate advocacy leads her to repeatedly clash with charismatic mill owner John Thornton over his treatment of his workers. While Margaret denies her growing attraction to him, Thornton agonizes over his foolish passion for her, in spite of their heated disagreements. As tensions mount between them, a violent unionization strike explodes in Milton, leaving everyone to deal with the aftermath in the town and in their personal lives.

Elizabeth Gaskell serialized North and South between September 1854 and January 1855 in Charles Dickens’s magazine Household Words. Upon its publication, Gaskell established herself as a novelist capable of serious discourse on social responsibility and advocacy for change in defiance of established authority.

*This is another version of North and South, separate and in addition to the wonderful project still in progress which was started by luciburg. Both projects will eventually be available in the catalog side by side - another example of multiple recordings meaning multiple success!

This audiobook-in-the-making was put together by a group of women who share a common interest in 19th century literature. The voices reading these chapters truly are a delight to listen to, with recordings (and accents :) ) literally coming from all over the world.

The magic window should be up to date shortly. Until then, here is the chapter/reader information (note that not all readers are registered at Librivox, however all have been contacted and asked to register):

VOLUME I
Chapter 01 - I - Haste To The Wedding - Opheliad (forum name)
Chapter 02 - II - Roses And Thorns - Remontant (forum name)
Chapter 03 - III - The More Haste The Worse Speed - Jo (forum name)
Chapter 04 - IV - Doubts And Difficulties - Neelma (forum name)
Chapter 05 - V - Decision - leonardswench (forum name)
Chapter 06 - VI - Farewell - Polly (forum name)
Chapter 07 - VII - New Scenes And Faces - lc
Chapter 08 - VIII - Home Sickness - intothelight (forum name)
Chapter 09 - IX - Dressing For Tea - RicHadje
Chapter 10 - X - Wrought Iron And Gold - elisavet (forum name)
Chapter 11 - XI - First Impressions - Winam (forum name)
Chapter 12 - XII - Morning Calls - Remontant (forum name)
Chapter 13 - XIII - A Soft Breeze In A Sultry Place - Polly (forum name)
Chapter 14 - XIV - The Mutiny - hanne (forum name)
Chapter 15 - XV - Masters And Men - anon
Chapter 16 - XVI - The Shadow Of Death - charybdis4 (forum name)
Chapter 17 - XVII - What Is A Strike? - lauralee (forum name)
Chapter 18 - XVIII - Likes And Dislikes - helenworcs (forum name)
Chapter 19 - XIX - Angel Visits - Anne-Marie (forum name)
Chapter 20 - XX - Men And Gentlemen - grovejade
Chapter 21 - XXI - The Dark Night - Red Queen (forum name)
Chapter 22 - XXII - A Blow And Its Consequences - Classicsfan (forum name)
Chapter 23 - XXIII - Mistakes - newtons05 (forum name)
Chapter 24 - XXIV - Mistakes Cleared Up - Jo (forum name)
Chapter 25 - XXV - Frederick - hedvig

VOLUME II
Chapter 26 - XXVI - Mother And Son - opheliad (forum name)
Chapter 27 - XXVII - Fruit-Piece - IslaJane (forum name)
Chapter 28 - XXVIII - Comfort In Sorrow - 4cullen (forum name)
Chapter 29 - XXIX - A Ray Of Sunshine - robas
Chapter 30 - XXX - Home At Last - tesoro007
Chapter 31 - XXXI - 'Should Auld Acquaintance Be Forgot?' - pj (forum name)
Chapter 32 - XXXII - Mischances - penelope (forum name = penelopeC19)
Chapter 33 - XXXIII - Peace - cats22 (forum name)
Chapter 34 - XXXIV - False And True - Andromeda (forum name)
Chapter 35 - XXXV - Expiation - Bestelle20 (forum name)
Chapter 36 - XXXVI - Union Not Always Strength - JB (forum name)
Chapter 37 - XXXVII - Looking South - LuvDemBrooders
Chapter 38 - XXXVIII - Promises Fulfilled - Steph (forum name)
Chapter 39 - XXXIX - Making Friends - IslaJane (forum name)
Chapter 40 - XL - Out Of Tune - darcywil (forum name)
Chapter 41 - XLI - The Journey's End - Marianna (forum name = MariannaC19)
Chapter 42 - XLII - Alone! Alone! - janeite (forum name)
Chapter 43 - XLIII - Margaret's Flittin' - Linnéa (forum name)
Chapter 44 - XLIV - Ease not Peace - tittletattle (forum name)
Chapter 45 - XLV - Not All A Dream - Milton lass (forum name)
Chapter 46 - XLVI - Once And Now - dani (forum name)
Chapter 47 - XLVII - Something Wanting - Marie
Chapter 48 - XLVIII - 'Ne'er To Be Found Again' - flo99 (may not be able to contact this reader)
Chapter 49 - XLIX - Breathing Tranquility - Librarian (forum name)
Chapter 50 - L - Changes At Milton - ania
Chapter 51 - LI - Meeting Again - woohoo (forum name)
Chapter 52 - LII - 'Pack Clouds Away' - Dorothea23

North and South, by Elizabeth Gaskell.
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: already complete – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4276
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!

(Admin link)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of North and South. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "North and South, by Elizabeth Gaskell. [Chapter]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
      If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of North and South, by Elizabeth Gaskell."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some background noise, you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    northandsouth_##_gaskell.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. northandsouth_01_gaskell.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Elizabeth Gaskell
    Album: North and South

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    • If you have your own server space, post the link here. Please leave the file in this location until the project is catalogued.
    • If you don't have your own server space, you'll need to transfer the file to one of the free servers available. For a list of options, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    • your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
    • the file size of your .mp3 file/duration of the recording.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by opheliad on September 20th, 2007, 6:55 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.
luciburg

Post by luciburg »

Hello again opheliad, you will need to put all the information in for your project by using the BC template: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/ProjectTemplatesForBookCoordinators
And then I'm sure there will be a MC along in no time to help you with your project.

Lucy :)
[b]There are no strangers, only friends you haven't met yet.[/b]
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

Thanks, Lucy :)

It looks like I've put this in the wrong place, though. Was sure I'd put it in Readers Found! Because all chapters are complete and here on my computer I figure I don't actually need to go through the initial process.

Eagerly awaiting further instructions, however :D
Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

This is fully subscribed, yes? You've organised all your own readers? In that case, we'll move this over to Readers Found, where it'll stay until complete. :) But yes, as Lucy says, please change your first post to use the BC template (you can leave in the info you have there right now; the MC will clean it up when the magic window comes into being).
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Just saw your last post, Opheliad. Moved to Readers Found, and I'll MC this for you. Just insert the BC template (properly changed) underneath the text you have in the first post at the moment.

Also, could you indicate which of the readers are forum names and which aren't? We also need catalogue names for all of them and yes, the ones not yet forum-registered need to register. Thank you! :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

Right, hopefully I've put in all the needed information.

I'll continue to update the list of names in the first post as I become aware of people registering. There may be one or two who have moved on and may not be able to be contacted, but hopefully the vast majority will register soon. :)
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Ophelia, I think I may have misunderstood you. You didn't just find readers, the project is actually complete? You have all the files?

My own Uploader is still broken, but we can use earthcalling's server. I've created a directory 'northandsouth' to house the files. Login:

ftp access:-
server:- librivox.earthcallingdavid.com
username:- librivox@earthcallingdavid.com
password:- v0xateer (the 0 is a zero)

and uploader:-
http://librivox.earthcallingdavid.com/cgi-bin/uploader/upload.cgi
password for uploads:- v0xateer (the 0 is a zero)
NB - The uploader doesn't seem to work with Safari.

The magic box is now in the first post. I've started to put in chapters in the title fields, but would you please complete them? Also, I've signed up the readers with forum names, but we need the other forum names until we can sign them up. If you have some readers that you can't reach, let know and I'll sign them up via a generic system we have for such cases. In any case, though, I'll need to enter the catalogue names - you can see here http://librivox.org/newcatalog/readers_info.php?ProjectID=1284 which ones are missing but once they're on the system only MCs can add catalogue names, so just send me a list. :)

I hope all my assumptions are correct. If you have all the files, this can go straight to proof-listening (or has this been done, too?).

Are you sure all files have the correct filenames and tags, intros and outros?

That's all I can think of for now. Look forward to working with you on this.
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

Great, thanks Gesine!

You do assume correctly. This project has been in progress for almost a year now, and all chapters are complete as mp3 files.

I will work on entering the data into the magic box and uploading the files for prooflistening this week.

I am receiving notifications daily as people sign up, and will continue to update the first post accordingly.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

opheliad wrote:Great, thanks Gesine!

You do assume correctly. This project has been in progress for almost a year now, and all chapters are complete as mp3 files.

I will work on entering the data into the magic box and uploading the files for prooflistening this week.

I am receiving notifications daily as people sign up, and will continue to update the first post accordingly.
Fantastic! Look forward to it.
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

I'm uploading the files now, but can't seem to find the appropriate URL to put in the Listen box. I can find an ftp url, but that requires a password. Everything else I've tried gives me an error message when I test it via the magic box. Help! :)
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

I'm adding the links - you can see how it's done. :)

Oh, if you have them, it would help proof-listeners if you could put the playtimes (duration of each file) in the Notes field. Will you start a thread in the Listeners Wanted forum?
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

Ah, so simple after all! Ok, links are in place. I'm ever-so-slowly (but consistently) uploading the files, so many of the links do not work yet. I'm uploading in order, no. 5 is nearly done now.

Think I'll wait till all files are uploaded before starting a thread in listeners wanted.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

opheliad wrote:Ah, so simple after all! Ok, links are in place. I'm ever-so-slowly (but consistently) uploading the files, so many of the links do not work yet. I'm uploading in order, no. 5 is nearly done now.

Think I'll wait till all files are uploaded before starting a thread in listeners wanted.
All right! Sounds good.
shelagh

Post by shelagh »

Would you like me to start proof listening to this book?

If so - set me up as a BC and I'll update the magic box as I go and not confuse the readers with posts re listening

Shelagh user name is User-1099
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

shelagh wrote:Would you like me to start proof listening to this book?

If so - set me up as a BC and I'll update the magic box as I go and not confuse the readers with posts re listening

Shelagh user name is User-1099
I think that would be great, Shelagh! Thank you. I've added you as co-BC so you can edit the admin with your findings.

If you've read the last few posts, you know that Shelagh has put all the listen links in, but not all files are actually there yet - she's uploading. So far, the first 12 files appear to be there - you can check this link: http://librivox.earthcallingdavid.com/northandsouth/

Thanks!