[COMPLETE]The Tale of Jasper Jay by Arthur Scott Bailey - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

The Tale of Jasper Jay by Arthur Scott Bailey (1877 - 1949).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/tale-of-jasper-jay-by-arthur-scott-bailey/
Arthur Scott Bailey, a native of the state of Vermont, wrote over forty children's books using a variety of animals, birds and even insects to entertain. The Tale of Jasper Jay is one of 16 stories of his Tuck-Me-In Tales series. ( Larry Wilson)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/21836
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Tale of Jasper Jay. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Tale of Jasper Jay, by Arthur Scott Bailey. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Tale of Jasper Jay by Arthur Scott Bailey. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Tale of Jasper Jay, by Arthur Scott Bailey. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename jasperjay_##_bailey_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. jasperjay_01_bailey_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kitty
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

The DPL for this project will be silverquill
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Okay, looks good from this end.
Publication date is 1917
I'll fill in the MW when it's ready.
Then we'll add the other readers.
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hello Michael

Larry told me about this project. So if I understand it correctly, you want to do this as a sort of dramatic reading with your daughters ? I see you have already done a short poem for the weekly poetry collection and you seem to have background in sound engineering, so I guess that angle will not pose a problem for you. I trust Larry's judgement here.

Anyway, if there are problems, Larry or me can surely help you along :) The project is quite small, so it's a good start for a solo.

Only thing, it would be good if you could also get your daughters registered with their own accounts. If ever they will be doing more projects later on, it is nice to have this project to their credit as well.

I'll set up the MW in a few minutes.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right, Michael and Larry, the MW is up and running. Michael if you click on BC Admin underneath the Magic Window, you'll get access to change it, put in your links, etc. You may have to press "forget password" to change your password for access. Further help is here: HERE.

Let me know if all goes well :) Also, please let me know as soon as your daughters have registered, so I can open new reader pages for them as well.

Good luck and have fun recording.

Sonia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thanks, Sonia!
We are all set up, and ready to go.
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right, I think the persons concerned all have a link to this project, so I'll move it over to Readers Found. We're only gonna change the readers' credits in the MW once the other accounts are set up. For the moment it looks like a Solo, but I know there will be more coming in, so technically it is a group project.

Sonia
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

Hello Sonia... sorry for the delay in my reply. I've been out a few days.

Yes, you're right, I'd like to try this as a dramatic reading with my daughters. Yes, I have some technical experience, though it's all related to music, and I'm not a master or professional, so, please consider me *wide* open to criticism and improvement. For the most part, I can accomplish something asked without help, it's more a matter of knowing, artistically or via experience, that a certain "something" is done right, or needed, or whatever. Anyway, please feel free to criticize. I'm going to post chapter 5 first, as it includes 3 of us at a time, so it should be a decent trial run. We can easily re-record if we need to do anything differently (other than edits) - it really was easier than I expected. However, I didn't have my gains quite right at the outset... I think the post-processing correction might be alright, but I'm not sure - anybody is free to comment on that.

Alright, I just set up the other 3 readers, my daughters. They are macaine, agcaine, and elcaine. However, They'll have to check their own emails in the morning and finish the registration, so they might not be visible to you until then.

I'll probably post chapter 5 tomorrow night. I'll wait for feedback before moving on. We do have another earlier chapter recorded, too, but I haven't mixed it down, and I want to wait for feedback before plowing on.

Thanks all!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah thank you for the thorough explanations
For the most part, I can accomplish something asked without help, it's more a matter of knowing, artistically or via experience, that a certain "something" is done right, or needed, or whatever. Anyway, please feel free to criticize.
well you will have Larry as DPL, and he knows all about the technical requirements for LV, so he'll make sure they are all correct. What is also needed is the correct intro and outro disclaimer for each chapter as you see in the first post. But Larry will give you feedback on your section once you uploaded it.
I'm going to post chapter 5 first, as it includes 3 of us at a time, so it should be a decent trial run. We can easily re-record if we need to do anything differently (other than edits) - it really was easier than I expected. However, I didn't have my gains quite right at the outset... I think the post-processing correction might be alright, but I'm not sure - anybody is free to comment on that.
did you all record together around the same mic in a studio or was each recording their own and then you were copy/pasting the bits into a master file ? As long as you make sure, all the sounds and volumes match each other, I think the recording will be agreeable to listen to
Alright, I just set up the other 3 readers, my daughters. They are macaine, agcaine, and elcaine. However, They'll have to check their own emails in the morning and finish the registration, so they might not be visible to you until then.
three daughters ! All right, I was only picturing two :lol: but the more the merrier. As soon as the registration process is finished, I can set up their reader pages. Can you already tell me what reader name they want ? Their full names or just the initials as in the usernames ?
I'll probably post chapter 5 tomorrow night. I'll wait for feedback before moving on. We do have another earlier chapter recorded, too, but I haven't mixed it down, and I want to wait for feedback before plowing on.
very reasonable :thumbs: yes I expect Larry will be back with feedback quickly and then you can proceed to the next chapter.

I think we'll all work fine together. :9:

Sonia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Hi! Good discussion.

As I mentioned in my PM, since you made a passing reference to sound effects, I'm pretty sure that LibriVox policy is NOT to allow sound effects, other than vocal, but I couldn't find a written policy.

Do you know if there is one, Sonia.

If you want to go ahead and post the Chapter just for some preliminary feed back, that is fine.

We'll look for the Catalog names to go along with those forum names so we can get them all "official."
~ Larry
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

Thanks, Sonia and Larry. We just checked my daughters' email accounts and discovered that we have to mail or fax permission in because of their age. This is fine, but I'll have to mail, as I don't have easy access to a fax machine. I don't know whether this should alter how we process things this book. I'm open to your ideas and recommendations. Their usernames (currently "inactive", according to the email) are macaine (Michaila A Caine), agcaine (Alana G Caine), and elcaine (Emma L Caine) -- I'll have to give some thought to whether I want their names or just their usernames used... I'm leaning toward the usernames.

Regarding sound effects: yes, this was just a vocal effect, where the text indicates that Jasper Jay made his best imitation of the unknown "bird" (which will turn out to be a dinner call, not a creature call). But there is no actual quote containing an onomatopoeia or anything, so if we put this in, it would technically be "added" to the text. I can see how some would see that as infringing on the integrity of the original work, and am happy to skip it. In this case, ch 5 is basically finished up and I'll post it tonight without any more changes. If it's ok to add such a vocal sound addition like that, then we'll probably do it. I'm fine either way, though.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, I'll let Sonia comment on the permission issue. I have never heard of that before.

In regard to sound effects, go a head and put it in if you like. I think as long as it reflects something in the text like that, it should be okay. It can always be clipped out. What do you think, Sonia.

In any case, go ahead and upload something so we can get a feel for how this is going to sound. You can still add revisions.
~ Larry
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

Ok, here it is: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/jasperjay_04_bailey_128kb.mp3
It's 5:35 minutes
I've been referring to it as chapter 5, but closer inspection reveals that it's actually chapter 4. :)

My daughter didn't feel successful at making the imitation bird call today, anyway, so never mind that. But it inspired my other daughter to want to make a stuck-in-the-throat spluttering cough-cough reaction that was narrated, so I overlaid that in, and you can tell me if it's in keeping with the spirit and integrity of librivox recording. I'm fine if not. It's very easy to remove - it's in its own channel, so I could just re-render without it.

And no, to answer Sonia's question: we're not all around one microphone. Multiple microphones are used. I decided on two, here... I may do it slightly differently if I wind up re-recording chapter 4. Once we get a configuration, we'll keep it the same throughout.

Well, I hope that about does it. Once I get the hang of everything, it should be smooth sailing. Oh, the references to "section" threw me a little -- I assumed that since this was chapter (section?) 4, I could use the "shorter" intro, and did so. This would be easy to replace with the longer if I've misinterpreted. I assume that chapter 1 has to be the longer, and thought that the meaning of the words there suggested that subsequent chapters could take the shorter form (?)

Thanks again! Looking forward to feedback!
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

Oh, another thing you might want to comment on is whether or not my daughters' voices are over-animated. I was surprised, actually, when we started reading, that they wanted to animate their voices that much, but I didn't say anything. I'm not sure if comprehension suffers - the opinion of another party would come in handy there. Thanks!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok I missed a lot tonight :lol:
Their usernames (currently "inactive", according to the email) are macaine (Michaila A Caine), agcaine (Alana G Caine), and elcaine (Emma L Caine) -- I'll have to give some thought to whether I want their names or just their usernames used... I'm leaning toward the usernames.
so if I understand you correctly, I should open their reader pages with twice the same name (eg macaine). I should not mention their real names. That's fine. We do as you wish. :) Just wanted to be clear.
Regarding sound effects: yes, this was just a vocal effect, where the text indicates that Jasper Jay made his best imitation of the unknown "bird"
an occasional squawk will probably be acceptable ;) if you're not overdoing it in every sentence. By sound effect I was more fearing that you would use intro music between each chapter and so on. That's a path we'd rather not go because of copyright issues.
jmcaine wrote: June 4th, 2018, 10:54 pm Ok, here it is: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/jasperjay_04_bailey_128kb.mp3
It's 5:35 minutes
I've been referring to it as chapter 5, but closer inspection reveals that it's actually chapter 4. :)
you now should have access to the Magic Window, so you can put the link in there and mark the section "Ready for PL". Let me know if you need help with that.
But it inspired my other daughter to want to make a stuck-in-the-throat spluttering cough-cough reaction that was narrated, so I overlaid that in, and you can tell me if it's in keeping with the spirit and integrity of librivox recording. I'm fine if not.
I let Larry listen to this. The thumb-rule is usually, the text should clearly be understandable, I'm not sure if maybe the coughing or gagging sound you overlaid is making the sentence unclear. Then it would best be removed. Better would be if the coughing sound appeared before she spoke, like they would do that in theatre plays.
And no, to answer Sonia's question: we're not all around one microphone. Multiple microphones are used. I decided on two, here... I may do it slightly differently if I wind up re-recording chapter 4. Once we get a configuration, we'll keep it the same throughout.

ok it's fine whatever gear you use if the end result sounds good :9:
Oh, the references to "section" threw me a little -- I assumed that since this was chapter (section?) 4, I could use the "shorter" intro, and did so. This would be easy to replace with the longer if I've misinterpreted. I assume that chapter 1 has to be the longer, and thought that the meaning of the words there suggested that subsequent chapters could take the shorter form (?)
yes you're correct. You can also say "Chapter" in this case, since they are all chapters. Only use the same wording throughout the book to stay consistent. First chapter: full intro. Other chapters: short intro. Last chapter: full outro.
Oh, another thing you might want to comment on is whether or not my daughters' voices are over-animated. I was surprised, actually, when we started reading, that they wanted to animate their voices that much, but I didn't say anything. I'm not sure if comprehension suffers - the opinion of another party would come in handy there.

I am not surprised. Children love to act :mrgreen:

And not only children: I am very active in the drama forum, so for me, animated reading is an absolute plus. You want to entertain with your book, especially for children. But you're correct, the comprehension should not suffer. So I would say, if they can speak lively, so much the better. But don't overdo it on the artificially enhancing and overlaying sound effects. Let's say, imagine you 4 are sitting in front of a kindergarten class and doing a group reading, everything you can do with your voices on that day will be fine, but you would not bring your computer for that session and start overlaying coughs and such.

For the rest, I let Larry listen to it. :) It sounds like you're having fun, and that's already a great thing.

Sonia