[Complete] The Tale of Old Mr. Crow by Arthur Scott Bailey

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

The Tale of Old Mr. Crow by Arthur Scott Bailey (1877 - 1949).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-tale-of-old-mr-crow-by-arthur-scott-bailey/

Arthur Scott Bailey, a native of the state of Vermont, wrote over forty children's books using a variety of animals, birds and even insects to entertain. The Tale of Old Mr. Crow is one of 16 stories of his Tuck-Me-In Tales series. ( Larry Wilson)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14402
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Arthur Scott Bailey) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Scott_Bailey
    7. Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    8. Number of sections (files) this project will have: 23
    9. Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    10. Original publication date (if known): 1917
    11. If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Animals & Nature

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Tale of Old Mr. Crow. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Tale of Old Mr. Crow, by Arthur Scott Bailey. [Chapter Name]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    "Chapter [number] of The Tale of Old Mr. Crow by Arthur Scott Bailey. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter Number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Tale of Old Mr. Crow, by Arthur Scott Bailey. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    oldmrcrow_##_bailey_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. oldmrcrow_01_bailey_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
    Artist: Arthur Scott Bailey
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Tale of Old Mr. Crow

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Lmnei on June 10th, 2018, 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

With The Tale of Jolly Robin waiting for just two readers, it is time to start another Bailey tale.

DPL will be DrPGould
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I'll set this up for you.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

All set. We'll stay on the Launch Pad for a day or two before moving over to RW.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Larry -

Can I please have 18-23?

Many thanks!

Lynda
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Lynnet wrote: May 21st, 2018, 12:06 pm All set. We'll stay on the Launch Pad for a day or two before moving over to RW.
Thanks so much.

I've put in the Section titles, but the word counts will have to wait
~ Larry
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Moved to Readers Wanted.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi! Can you please assign my sections so no one else grabs them?

Many thanks!

Lynda
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Lmnei wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 2:24 pm Hi! Can you please assign my sections so no one else grabs them?

Many thanks!

Lynda
I think Larry must have missed your post so I have added your claim to the MW.

Sorry, Larry, I'll crawl back into my hole now 8-)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

No, I hadn't overlooked that.

I was just in a time crunch to get the MW set up.
A little patience would help. I won't acknowledge claims before the MW is set up. Does that make sense to anyone but me?

And I was mystified how someone can make a claim without even knowing what they are claiming. It turns out I had the wrong link in the post and it pointed back to a previous project, so this seemed like a random claim. So, did you even know what you were claiming, Lynda?
~ Larry
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hey Larry -

No this was not a random claim!
- I looked up the book on my own when your link was broken.
- I had read for the Tale of Jolly Robin and enjoyed it.
- I only took a few sections like Lynne suggested I start off with in Jolly Robin.
- I often DPL for Phillp so I trust his choice of book.
- I often read for Lynne and I trust her choice of project.
- I like Children's works as I can use them with my other volunteer work where my Syrian new Canadians can practice listening and comprehension with my voice when I am travelling.
- This WAS on the launch pad and people do sign up at that stage...
- Lastly you will catch more readers with honey than with vinegar....

Lynda
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Here's some honey, Lynda . . . . would you like the rest of the sections? This might be a great solo for you. You can either adopt it, or I'll BC for you. Just a thought. It's been done before, and you might enjoy it
~ Larry
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

If not, Lynda, then I'd like to take some of this with my daughters. I'm a newb to librivox, and understand the advice about not taking on too much too early, but I was thinking about asking for the whole work and really digging in and making it a project for us on our summer break. I have lots of experience with audio (I've been a sound engineer for ages and have done some (music) recording work), and have no worries about the technical dimensions to this endeavor -- I'm very fast with editing. I have plenty of experience reading dramatically with my family, but this would be a first attempt of something like this. Anyway, all that said -- I was researching this post, like the selection, and was planning on asking for the whole thing, but waited too long. I'm happy to just take sections, but we'll probably want to do the whole thing anyway, for the project that it would be for us, even if we didn't submit the sections that Lynda or others took. I don't know if that interest motivates anybody to want to distribute resources differently. I could also look for a new children's book posting, with plenty of parts like this one, that has no takers yet, and be a little quicker with my draw. :)

I know that the rule of thumb is 1 to 2 months from claim to completion. I think we can do it in 2, for sure. (Whatever "it" may become, that is.)
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

And yes, I was going to do my pilot read of the weekly ("I Have Desired To Go") shortly, first. Probably today. In case that matters to anybody.
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

Hi Lynda,
I would like to claim DPL if it hasn't been claimed yet. :D
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry