Greetings and Gratitude

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
MarkErnest

Post by MarkErnest »

Greetings to you all from rainy Florida (supposed to be sunny Florida, but lately we've decided to be Seattle it seems :roll: ).

I have been listening to Librivox for several years. The first thing to which I listened was Heart of Darkness as read by Bob Neufeld. With THAT as in introduction, suffice to say that I was hooked!

I have long wanted to read for Librivox, but was lazy about getting started. Several weeks ago I was at an event with some folks from the radio station at the university where I work. The supervisor commented to the station manager that I had a great voice. Now, I don't know if that is actually true or not - no one has ever commented on my voice before. However, it was just the little spark I needed to decide to get involved here and try to read. As a heavy consumer of Librivox, I felt in incumbent upon me to do something to give back. So, I tracked down a used microphone online, made my little test, and now we will see how this all goes.

I look to working and collaborating here, and your sage advice and wisdom is most coveted.

Best regard,
Mark Ernest
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hello Mark, welcome to the forum. I see you have already done a one-minute-test and started on your first project. :thumbs:
MarkErnest wrote: June 1st, 2018, 6:04 pmGreetings to you all from rainy Florida (supposed to be sunny Florida, but lately we've decided to be Seattle it seems :roll: ).
:lol: I have been to Seattle a few times already and it never rained. I heard speculations that the Seattleites only spread this rainy rumour so that people would not flock there and over-run them :mrgreen:
I have long wanted to read for Librivox, but was lazy about getting started. Several weeks ago I was at an event with some folks from the radio station at the university where I work. The supervisor commented to the station manager that I had a great voice. Now, I don't know if that is actually true or not - no one has ever commented on my voice before. However, it was just the little spark I needed to decide to get involved here and try to read.
well, give this supervisor our thanks to have nudged you over here :)

Have fun on the forum !

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hello, Mark. At your recommendation, I just listened to Heart Of Darkness myself. Bob did a great job on that book. It was most enjoyable. My very first book here was Jules Verne's Mysterious Island, read by Mark Smith. With THAT introduction, I was hooked. And I've been hooked ever since. I run across one great book or story after another. . . . classics, plus books I never knew existed . . . . there is never going to be enough time for them all. :D
MarkErnest

Post by MarkErnest »

Kitty wrote: June 7th, 2018, 11:50 pm Hello Mark, welcome to the forum. I see you have already done a one-minute-test and started on your first project. :thumbs:
MarkErnest wrote: June 1st, 2018, 6:04 pmGreetings to you all from rainy Florida (supposed to be sunny Florida, but lately we've decided to be Seattle it seems :roll: ).
:lol: I have been to Seattle a few times already and it never rained. I heard speculations that the Seattleites only spread this rainy rumour so that people would not flock there and over-run them :mrgreen:
I have long wanted to read for Librivox, but was lazy about getting started. Several weeks ago I was at an event with some folks from the radio station at the university where I work. The supervisor commented to the station manager that I had a great voice. Now, I don't know if that is actually true or not - no one has ever commented on my voice before. However, it was just the little spark I needed to decide to get involved here and try to read.
well, give this supervisor our thanks to have nudged you over here :)

Have fun on the forum !

Sonia
Hi, Sonia! Thanks for the welcome. I would have acknowledged you sooner, but I only just noticed the little notification icon in the top right corner!

No worries about having to trick me into NOT going to Seattle. I live in Central Florida, and even now I am the furthest northern limit of my range :D !

Blessings,
Mark
MarkErnest

Post by MarkErnest »

msfry wrote: June 9th, 2018, 9:42 pm Hello, Mark. At your recommendation, I just listened to Heart Of Darkness myself. Bob did a great job on that book. It was most enjoyable. My very first book here was Jules Verne's Mysterious Island, read by Mark Smith. With THAT introduction, I was hooked. And I've been hooked ever since. I run across one great book or story after another. . . . classics, plus books I never knew existed . . . . there is never going to be enough time for them all. :D
Great - I needed a recommendation for something to listen to next. I recently finished Anna Karenina and War and Peace back to back, and I've been in mourning because, I think, from missing Tolstoy :( ! I will give the Mysterious Island a run starting today on the way home from work!

Blessings,
Mark
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MarkErnest wrote: June 14th, 2018, 1:11 pmI would have acknowledged you sooner, but I only just noticed the little notification icon in the top right corner!
in the User Control Panel you can set your notifications to default, so you get alerted via email when someone replies in the project threads you're following. I find this quite handy. :)

Sonia
msfry

Post by msfry »

Kitty wrote: June 15th, 2018, 4:37 am
MarkErnest wrote: June 14th, 2018, 1:11 pmI would have acknowledged you sooner, but I only just noticed the little notification icon in the top right corner!
in the User Control Panel you can set your notifications to default, so you get alerted via email when someone replies in the project threads you're following. I find this quite handy. :)

Sonia
You have to stay "signed in to Librivox" for this to work. Consequently, I never sign out, but sometimes when my machine reboots itself, it signs me out and I have to remember to sign in again!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

msfry wrote: June 15th, 2018, 1:55 pm You have to stay "signed in to Librivox" for this to work. Consequently, I never sign out, but sometimes when my machine reboots itself, it signs me out and I have to remember to sign in again!
oh, that's strange. I always sign out right away when I want to take a break from LV. But I still get notified by email for every post that is being made in the threads I subscribed. Maybe you did not tick the right box, Michele ? :hmm:

it's in User Control Panel --> Board Preferences --> Edit Posting Defaults --> Notify me upon replies by default --> tick Yes-Box

Sonia
msfry

Post by msfry »

Kitty wrote: June 16th, 2018, 1:23 am [Maybe you did not tick the right box, Michele ? :hmm:

it's in User Control Panel --> Board Preferences --> Edit Posting Defaults --> Notify me upon replies by default --> tick Yes-Box

Sonia
Hi Sonia, I checked and this is already set correctly. Tonight I will sign out and see if anything comes in by morning. Thanks for checking.