OPEN[PLAY]Psyche by Molière - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7016
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » May 27th, 2018, 6:56 am

Psyche by Molière (1622 - 1673). Translated by Charles Heron Wall (1836 - 1905)

This is a very different Moliere, not the usual satire of everyday life. It is instead a classical tale based on the ancient story of Psyche and Cupid, and was performed for Louis XIV with ballet interludes to music by Jean-Baptiste Lully (which we do not include here) in 1671. ( ToddHW)
  • We are about halfway through all the plays by Moliere and things may become a bit strange.... At least compared with his usual plays.

    I am going to be mostly out of touch through June and into July - retiring at long last and moving. In the meantime, I'm posting a couple more plays to keep you all busy. (PLEASE record lines on other plays first!)

    Kitty will be our wonderful DPL, and will mind the store in my absence. Gender neutral casting as always.

    By the way, if you pick a short role that is only in one act, feel free to pick another short role in another act. (Please do separate voice credits, not "X and Y read by ----")

    DO NOT SING

    (It is too hard to verify that tunes are PD, and even harder to match up voices in choruses.)

    1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7444
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

      If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.



      Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!


      Magic Window:



      BC Admin ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: Wsw5ZWk7
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( Molière) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Baptiste_Poquelin
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psyché_(play)
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 57
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): 1671
        ============================================

        Genres for the project: Plays; Classics (Antiquity)

        Keywords that describe the book:

        ============================================
      • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

        Set your recording software to:
        Channels: 1 (Mono)
        Bit Rate: 128 kbps
        Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

        Submit one file per act.
      • Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
        [Role], read by [your name].

        If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of Psyche, by Molière. Translated by Charles Heron Wall (1836 - 1905) This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

        At the end: End of Act [#].

        Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
      • AFTER recording
        Save files as 128 kbps MP3
        psyche_[role]_[#]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the act number.



        Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
        • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
          Image
          (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
        • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: toddhw
        • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
        • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

        Any questions?
        Please post below
      Thanks, Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 11639
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » May 27th, 2018, 7:50 am

I'm up for some nasty role this time. Cidippe, one of the mean jealous sisters :twisted: who is trying to make poor Psyche's life hell.
Who's going to be mean with me ? There's another sister available :mrgreen:

oh...and DPL of course :)

Sonia

silverquill
Posts: 6940
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Reading, Massachusetts USA

Post by silverquill » May 27th, 2018, 10:21 am

Oh, Sonia's getting out her mean sister claws :shock:

Hmmm. I'm thinking abut stage directions for this one too. . .

And, if it wouldn't be too conflicting, may a River God.

bluechien
Posts: 938
Joined: January 6th, 2017, 6:58 pm
Location: Downeast Maine, USA

Post by bluechien » May 27th, 2018, 10:31 am

Can I take Venus, please?
Eva D
PLers: pls correct pronunciation!

Sooner or later I too may passively take the print
Of the golden age— why not? ...

NemoR
Posts: 1683
Joined: February 27th, 2017, 1:48 pm
Location: Seal Harbor, Maine USA

Post by NemoR » May 27th, 2018, 10:33 am

May I claim Vertumnus in the Prologue and also Vulcan? .... Vulcan is listed in Act 1 in the MW, but I only see him in Act 2?

Thanks!
Nemo

‘By not holding to fixed views,
The pure-hearted one, having clarity of vision,
Being freed from all sense-desires,
Is not born again into this world.’

leanneyauyau
Posts: 555
Joined: January 31st, 2016, 12:33 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Post by leanneyauyau » May 27th, 2018, 10:53 am

May I claim Venus?
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :D
my librivox page | website | fb page | soundcloud

leanneyauyau
Posts: 555
Joined: January 31st, 2016, 12:33 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Post by leanneyauyau » May 27th, 2018, 10:54 am

Never mind, someone got to Venus before I did! I'll take Love.
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :D
my librivox page | website | fb page | soundcloud

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 11639
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » May 27th, 2018, 11:12 am

silverquill wrote:
May 27th, 2018, 10:21 am
Oh, Sonia's getting out her mean sister claws :shock:
Hmmm. I'm thinking abut stage directions for this one too. . .
haha I was actually also considering stage directions in this one, but then my "mean side" won :mrgreen:

Thanks for claiming, Larry, I'll sign you up.
And, if it wouldn't be too conflicting, may a River God.
hmm however for this I'd rather wait for Todd's verdict. The narrator is overlapping with every Act and Prologue and Interlude, so I fear this may be conflicting. Let's wait for what Todd has to say on this matter.

Meanwhile I reserve narrator for you, but if you prefer to do the River God after all, we can always switch :)

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 11639
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » May 27th, 2018, 11:21 am

bluechien wrote:
May 27th, 2018, 10:31 am
Can I take Venus, please?
ah our goddess of beauty has arrived. :) Thanks Eva. BTW you have quite a nasty streak in this role too. :evil:

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 11639
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » May 27th, 2018, 11:23 am

NemoR wrote:
May 27th, 2018, 10:33 am
May I claim Vertumnus in the Prologue and also Vulcan? .... Vulcan is listed in Act 1 in the MW, but I only see him in Act 2?
:hmm: I think you are right, Nemo, well he seems to be in the interlude. Anyway, far away from the Prologue, so I guess it's ok to claim both roles. Thanks !

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 11639
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » May 27th, 2018, 11:28 am

leanneyauyau wrote:
May 27th, 2018, 10:54 am
Never mind, someone got to Venus before I did! I'll take Love.
great, thanks Leanne. Just to confirm, "Love" here is the young god Eros, the son of Venus, who falls in love with Psyche. Is that the role you wanted to claim ?

Todd, I think there is a bit of a confusion in the script. In the beginning Love is called Cupid, when he first shows up with his mother (Venus) in the prologue. Later on he appears in a grown-up version as Love to woo Psyche. The problem is that there are some minor "cupids" fluttering about as well, and who sing in the chorus I think. We need to make sure these are not mixed up.

So Leanne, please also check the lines for "Cupid" in the Prologue, that's actually the same person than Love.

Sonia

leanneyauyau
Posts: 555
Joined: January 31st, 2016, 12:33 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Post by leanneyauyau » May 27th, 2018, 11:32 am

Kitty wrote:
May 27th, 2018, 11:28 am
leanneyauyau wrote:
May 27th, 2018, 10:54 am
Never mind, someone got to Venus before I did! I'll take Love.
great, thanks Leanne. Just to confirm, "Love" here is the young god Eros, the son of Venus, who falls in love with Psyche. Is that the role you wanted to claim ?

Todd, I think there is a bit of a confusion in the script. In the beginning Love is called Cupid, when he first shows up with his mother (Venus) in the prologue. Later on he appears in a grown-up version as Love to woo Psyche. The problem is that there are some minor "cupids" fluttering about as well, and who sing in the chorus I think. We need to make sure these are not mixed up.

So Leanne, please also check the lines for "Cupid" in the Prologue, that's actually the same person than Love.

Sonia
Oh wait, I think I got confused. Can I take Psyche instead?
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :D
my librivox page | website | fb page | soundcloud

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 11639
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » May 27th, 2018, 11:34 am

leanneyauyau wrote:
May 27th, 2018, 11:32 am
Oh wait, I think I got confused. Can I take Psyche instead?
:lol: oh ok....yes of course. Good thing I clarified then ;)

I'll swap roles for you.

Sonia

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7016
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » May 27th, 2018, 11:39 am

Kitty wrote:
May 27th, 2018, 11:12 am
silverquill wrote:
May 27th, 2018, 10:21 am
Oh, Sonia's getting out her mean sister claws :shock:
Hmmm. I'm thinking abut stage directions for this one too. . .
haha I was actually also considering stage directions in this one, but then my "mean side" won :mrgreen:

Thanks for claiming, Larry, I'll sign you up.
And, if it wouldn't be too conflicting, may a River God.
hmm however for this I'd rather wait for Todd's verdict. The narrator is overlapping with every Act and Prologue and Interlude, so I fear this may be conflicting. Let's wait for what Todd has to say on this matter.

Meanwhile I reserve narrator for you, but if you prefer to do the River God after all, we can always switch :)

Sonia
Sorry Larry, but if you take the narrator you can't also be a River God. Narrator is already omnipresent, omniscient, and omnipotent throughout the play.

Thank you all for the rapid-fire claims here. hope Sonia was able to keep them all straight!

Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 11639
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » May 27th, 2018, 11:40 am

ToddHW wrote:
May 27th, 2018, 11:39 am
Thank you all for the rapid-fire claims here. hope Sonia was able to keep them all straight!
yes I think I'm up-to-date now....gave me a taste of what's to come when I become deputy here :mrgreen:

now I can exhale again...

Sonia

Post Reply