COMPLETE Swanhilde, and other Fairy Tales, by Wilhelm Hauff-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Foon

Post by Foon »

Swanhilde, and other Fairy Tales by Wilhelm Hauff (1802 - 1827). Translated by Carolyn Norris Horwitz

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/swanhilde-by-wilhelm-hauff/

Wilhelm Hauff was a German poet and novelist, perhaps best known for his fairy tales (Märchen). Some of his stories, such as the Caliph Stork found in this volume, are popular in German-speaking countries to this day. In this book of fairy tales, we find the tale of the beautiful Swanhilde and various other stand-alone fairy tales, as well as a frame story "The Caravan" which includes multiple fairy tales within it. Hauff's freshness and originality shine through in these tales. (Foon)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/swanhildeotherfa00horw
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430
    Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of Swanhilde, and other Fairy Tales. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Swanhilde, and other Fairy Tales, by Wilhelm Hauff, translated by Carolyn Norris Horwitz, Section [number, title]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Swanhilde, and other Fairy Tales, by Wilhelm Hauff. Translated by Carolyn Norris Horwitz."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    swanhilde_##_hauff_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. swanhilde_01_hauff_128kb.mp3)
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  9. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Foon on January 29th, 2019, 9:08 am, edited 13 times in total.
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Foon

Post by Foon »

This is my first time as a BC. I'm really excited, but please do let me know if I messed something up above. ;)
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Foon,

I'd be happy to work with you on this.

I've checked your source. It's a lovely book, but the problem I see is that I don't see a publication date on the book itself. Unfortunately, we can't rely on the "1910" in the Archive record, it needs to be printed in the book itself.

Do you see a date in the book? I could just be missing it.

If we can't find a date on this book, Hauff does have a couple of other books of fairy tales out there which are clearly published before 1923 and therefore OK for us to use. I found these:
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.32044019796978
https://archive.org/details/swanhildeotherfa00horw

There may be others, I just a quick search on Hauff and "fairy tales".

MaryAnn
Foon

Post by Foon »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: May 27th, 2018, 2:10 pm Foon,

I'd be happy to work with you on this.

I've checked your source. It's a lovely book, but the problem I see is that I don't see a publication date on the book itself. Unfortunately, we can't rely on the "1910" in the Archive record, it needs to be printed in the book itself.

Do you see a date in the book? I could just be missing it.
You're right, I don't see a date in the book either. I did find in other sources that this book has been translated and published by L.L. Weedon in 1910, but not with the text itself. :(
MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: May 27th, 2018, 2:10 pm
If we can't find a date on this book, Hauff does have a couple of other books of fairy tales out there which are clearly published before 1923 and therefore OK for us to use. I found these:

https://archive.org/details/swanhildeotherfa00horw
This looks like a nice suggestion (quite a bit of overlap in the stories too!)
Should I create a new thread for it?

Readers needed:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

We can change this thread.

You can edit the first post to change the link to the book, and the title. You'll also need to switch out the title in the intro/outros.

And then let me know how many sections you'll need for the new book.

If you can't figure out how to change the first post, I can do it later this afternoon (or just check what you've done).

MaryAnn
Foon

Post by Foon »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: May 28th, 2018, 6:24 am We can change this thread.

You can edit the first post to change the link to the book, and the title. You'll also need to switch out the title in the intro/outros.

And then let me know how many sections you'll need for the new book.

If you can't figure out how to change the first post, I can do it later this afternoon (or just check what you've done).

MaryAnn
I updated the post above, I hope I didn't forget anything. I think I'll need 12 sections.
Thanks so much for your help! I feel like such a dummy trying to find my way around all of this. :roll:

Readers needed:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Foon,

Don't stress it. There's a learning curve, and we've all been through it. I appreciate you updating the first post. Only change I made was on the intro/outros. Given how the book is structured, I think it may work better to have your readers start with "section" rather than "chapter". You may want to think about whether some of the longer tales get split - Swanhilde is 48 pages, which might be kinda long for one section. Newer readers (who are likely to be drawn to a fairy tale project) generally appreciate 15-20 minute sections. Anyway, once I start splitting stories, then the chapter numbers and section numbers get out of sync and I like to use "section" in the intro.

To finish the MW, you'll need to start by logging in to it. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.

Next, you'll need to start entering section (or chapter) titles. I've entered the first couple to get you started.

If you need too add sections to the MW, you can do that by clicking on the "add new section" button, on the page where you enter the section titles.

If you have questions, please post. We'll work through the learning curve together!

MaryAnn
Foon

Post by Foon »

Oh! I probably should have mentioned. I meant to split Swanhilde into two parts, but since The Caravan is a frame-story of six parts, I wanted to include the short intro to that with the first story (the Caliph Stork), still ending up with 12 parts. :)

Readers needed:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Your MW looks great.

Do you plan to proof listen to this yourself, or do you want someone else to DPL?

MaryAnn
Foon

Post by Foon »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: May 29th, 2018, 5:46 am Your MW looks great.

Do you plan to proof listen to this yourself, or do you want someone else to DPL?

MaryAnn
I'm not quite sure! I haven't PLed anything before. It seems straighforward enough, but maybe I should try one new thing at a time..

Readers needed:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, we'll move over to readers wanted and we can address the PLing as sections come in.

MaryAnn
Annalisa56

Post by Annalisa56 »

If you are ready for readers, may I claim 11 The Princess on the Glass Mountain?
AnnaLisa56
Now everyone, big or little, has a story.
Foon

Post by Foon »

Annalisa56 wrote: May 29th, 2018, 11:04 am If you are ready for readers, may I claim 11 The Princess on the Glass Mountain?
AnnaLisa56
All yours, thanks for claiming! :thumbs:

Readers needed:
Zozue

Post by Zozue »

Hi!

Can I read sections 3 and 4?
Foon

Post by Foon »

Zozue wrote: May 29th, 2018, 6:41 pm Hi!

Can I read sections 3 and 4?
All yours, thanks for claiming! :thumbs:

Readers needed: