COMPLETE! A Vanished Hand by Sarah Doudney - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thanks a lot. In that pace you may as well finish the book. What do you think?
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
jenno

Post by jenno »

jenno

Post by jenno »

Happy to - its an easy read for some reason. The sentences flow and are not too wordy as so many of that genre are !!!

Jennifer
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Sure, 17-19 are all yours. Have fun. Yep, I selected this book because it is so great.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
schrm

Post by schrm »

hi all,

i assigned all open chapters to jennifer and marked 3 contributions as ready for pl.
thank you very much, jennifer!
i need to catch up with pl :-)

cheers,
schrm
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

hi jennifer,

i pled it before going to work:
as every time, i enjoyed listening to your chapters!
thank you for your contributions!
this time, i have two formal points to remark:

pl 14 15 16
all are checker ok!

pl 14
in this recording, maybe you have spoken more directly into your microphone as you are using to?
there are some more volume peaks, which are a little bit louder, paragonated to the few in the other recordings (just as an estimated value: there are around 6 major peaks during the recording, paragonated with chapter 15 2-3 at the end only).
actually, it is not that severe of a problem i think...
but it is resulting into the listener wanting to reduce the volume.

i did learn about the audacity compressor just yesterday, and therefore cannot do more than hint to that tool.
if you dont want to try it, or are not satisfied with the results, please give me feedback!
i totally understand that and i have no problem with marking this as pl ok, then!

pl 15
starting silence half a second too long; ending silence ok.
that is one fast cut, which i ask you to do, please

16 pl ok
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
jenno

Post by jenno »

Here is revised chapter 15 .

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/vanishedhand_15_doudney_128kb.mp3

I will read about compressor later today and try to adjust the sound in chapter 14.

Cheers

Jennifer
jenno

Post by jenno »

Well I have learned about Compressor ( from Phil's very good tutorial)

Here is revised Chapter 14

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/vanishedhand_14_doudney_128kb.mp3
duration unchanged.

I hope you find it improved !

Cheers

Jennifer
schrm

Post by schrm »

jenno wrote: May 23rd, 2018, 11:56 pm Well I have learned about Compressor ( from Phil's very good tutorial)

Here is revised Chapter 14

duration unchanged.

I hope you find it improved !

Cheers

Jennifer

hi,

ah you mean the video tutorials from phil?
yes, i loved them from the beginning.
will have to look it up!

back to the topic: i will pl your files today in the evening!
thank you once again for your fast done and very well done contributions!

cheers,
schrm
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

good evening,

checker and spot-pl 15 is ok!

pl chapter 14
what a difference!
im really astonished, how evenly(? i hope that is a right word for it) the track looks, now.
3 things are left to remark:
- the beginning silence is longer than a second and:
- in the beginning of the intro, the word chapter has a sort of fading in effect. (it is your decision, if you want to change that!)
- checker doesnt show it, but i think there is noise reduction needed (maybe a side-effect of the compressor? do you have edited an unedited version? that one is up to you, too. your recording has some echo effects, or reverberation. to reduce that while recording, you can use blankets and cushions over the table, carpets and so on. but as it showed up after using the compressor, maybe noise reduction can help)

i am sorry, if im appearing persevering or nerving?
i hope, im not..
i just think your recording is near to perfect, and i want it to be...

i also have to thank you, jennifer: the video tutorial by phil is excellent and you gave me the hint to watch it. (i already saw it when beginning here on librivox - but forgot it, seems to be)

cheers,
schrm
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
jenno

Post by jenno »

Here is Chapter 14 - i have tweaked it as you suggested and think that it sounds pretty good now ?

Duration 12.43

Cheers

Jennifer
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

I did not interfear before because I considered what to say. I want to validate both of you so I will put it this way:
SCHRM, you are a great dpl. I aprisiate your great willingness that everything would be perfect and your pointing out small things which other dpls would not even bother.
Jeniffer, you are a great and dedicated reader. We work together for many years and you know I love working with you.
I felt really bad reading the last few posts and I will tell both of you why: I am afraid both of you would be frustrated. Jeniffer, it is not trivial for me that you uploaded a chapter three times and so fast. Really... SCHRM, again, it is very diligent of you to point out these small things. It shows me that you care about the book and about improving Jeniffer's recording in general.
For me, as bc, it is important that both of you understand that it is Jeniffer's choice how many times to fix the chapter. We are all volunteres, after all. I don't want this project to feel like a berden for you. I want to make sure everything is ok with both of you before we proceed. If it is, I don't interfear. If one of you does things for the sake of politeness, then this must change. Librivox is ment to be fun. Of course there is learning. But only as much as you want. I admit this is the first time I feel this way over a project and I am here for above ten years. I know that I, as a reader, would have been very frustrated fixing things which seem to me small and marjenal. Yet as a dpl, I would have been frustrated if things I point out would have been ignored.
I would aprisiate it if we continue the discussion openly here between the three of us and avoid private messages. I have a mad mad weekend and would not have time to read them properly. Here I can just jump in when ever I have time. The most important thing for me now is that both of you write clearly, to me and to each other, what you expect and can tolerate and what not. Let's keep an open conversation about this. I go with everything you decide between you. But I want to make sure this is a mutual decision.
Stav.
jenno

Post by jenno »

Chapter 17

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/vanishedhand_17_doudney_128kb.mp3

duration 10.43

I will comment on your note Miss Stav shortly. Would like to get the rest of the recordings of this book complete first. Then I will have time to respond - favorably I assure you !!!!

Jennifer
jenno

Post by jenno »

jenno

Post by jenno »

here it is ! The last chapter 19

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/vanishedhand_19_doudney_128kb.mp3

duration 12.03

Cheers

Jennifer