"Yanny" or "Laurel"

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I think this went viral on Twitter, but I don't use that, so I came upon it on some Youtube videos.

So what do you hear ??

I hear "Yanny". That would get a PL note because apparently the correct one is Laurel :lol: :lol:

And here's the video from The Ellen Show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_R9_xdhuNw which includes one more auditory illusion! (and some excellent dancing at the end of course!)
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Even some 'net news portals posted articles about it... Surprising how much spare time people have, isn't it?
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Foon

Post by Foon »

Rapunzelina wrote: May 17th, 2018, 8:20 am I think this went viral on Twitter, but I don't use that, so I came upon it on some Youtube videos.

So what do you hear ??

I hear "Yanny". That would get a PL note because apparently the correct one is Laurel :lol: :lol:

And here's the video from The Ellen Show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_R9_xdhuNw which includes one more auditory illusion! (and some excellent dancing at the end of course!)
Ha, didn't know about this one yet!

I think they're actually both correct, might be two voices overlaid on top of each other in a slightly different pitch!
Edit: Scratch that, it does seem to be Laurel.

(I'm totally with you on Yanny, by the way!)

Edit: Funny thing, if you crank up or down the pitch, it can really alter it! In the low pitch, I definitely hear Yanny, but in the high pitch it's suddenly Laurel!
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Odd. I hear the original recording (and the high pitched one) as "laurel", but the low-pitched one as "yearly".

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

I've heard about this. Was wondering... what is the point of this experiment?
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

I came across this recently on you tube as well and the first time I heard it it sounded like yanny, the second time it sounded like laurel and now laurel is all I can hear.
~Tiffany
Vikelat

Post by Vikelat »

Laurel!
cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 »

Yanny
Projects that need readers
ONLY ONE CHAPTER TO GO!!!!!! Bealby
The life of Harriot Stuart
The Blind Brother[/color]
anne21

Post by anne21 »

There is no 'correct' answer.

Apparently, if your ears are attuned to high frequencies you will hear 'yannie'. If you are more attuned to low frequencies of sound, then you will hear 'laurel'.
___
'Of the making of books there is no end.'