Complete The Spring of Joy: A Little Book of Healing by Mary Webb - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

The Spring of Joy: A Little Book of Healing by Mary Webb (1881 - 1927).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-spring-of-joy-a-little-book-of-healing-by-mary-webb/

Mary Webb was a novelist and poet and two of her novels "Gone to Earth" and "Precious Bane" have been successfully adapted for film and television. She was passionate about nature and particularly the Shropshire countryside where she grew up and spent much of her life. At the age of 20, she was diagnosed with the autoimmune disease known as Graves' disease, a thyroid condition. She was often confined to her bed but came to believe that her love of and connection with nature helped in her healing.
"The Spring of Joy: A Little Book of Healing" published in 1917 is a collection of essays which celebrate the natural world with poetic and descriptive brilliance. It was actually written some years earlier while she was recovering from her first bout of illness.
Her dedication for the book reads:
TO THE WEARY AND WOUNDED
IN THE BATTLE OF LIFE
THIS LITTLE BOOK IS LOVINGLY DEDICATED
( Noel Badrian)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/webb/spring/spring.html
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( Mary Webb) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Webb
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 9
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1917
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Essays & Short Works

Keywords that describe the book: nature, countryside, health, natural world

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of The Spring of Joy: A Little Book of Healing. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "The Spring of Joy: by Mary Webb. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of The Spring of Joy: by Mary Webb. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Spring of Joy: A Little Book of Healing, by Mary Webb. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename springofjoy_##_webb_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. springofjoy_01_webb_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Mary Webb
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: The Spring of Joy: A Little Book of Healing

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Noel's Recordings

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Hi, I shortened the filename and removed the subtitle except where I thought it necessary. I hope that was OK.
Noel
Noel's Recordings

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
Annalisa56

Post by Annalisa56 »

May I claim the book? It is just the type of book I love to read.
AnnaLisa56
Now everyone, big or little, has a story.
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Hello AnnaLisa,
Thank you for your offer but I am hoping to read the book myself if I can attract a MC.
Of course I will also need a proof reader but I do not know if you would be interested in that task?
Noel
Noel's Recordings

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I will set this up for you.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Lynnet wrote: May 18th, 2018, 9:58 am I will set this up for you.
Edit: done. Let me know if you need anything else. The shortened file name looks fine.

Annalisa: did you want to DPL as Noel suggested? Alternatively, there is no reason you couldn't record your own version of the book. Although many readers like to be 'original', LV is happy offering listeners 'the choice of voice'.
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Hello Lynette,
Thank you for taking this on for me. I did not realise you had picked this up for me and have just posted another SOLO request which I hope to do in tandem.
Noel
Noel's Recordings

NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Hi Lynnet,
Chapter 1 is uploaded and ready for PL so perhaps I should be looking for a DPL as we have had no response from AnnaLisa.
I forgot how to do that - do I add a "tilde" to the Heading in front of the "SOLO etc..?
Noel
Noel's Recordings

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

NoelBadrian wrote: May 21st, 2018, 9:30 am Hi Lynnet,
Chapter 1 is uploaded and ready for PL so perhaps I should be looking for a DPL as we have had no response from AnnaLisa.
I forgot how to do that - do I add a "tilde" to the Heading in front of the "SOLO etc..?
Noel
Yes... but I can do that. I'll also put an ad in Listeners Wanted.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Lynne -

Happy to DPL for you!

Lynda
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Hi Lynnet,
Thank you so much.

And:

Lynda,
Thanks for joining us. I hope you enjoy this little book.
Noel
Noel's Recordings

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Lynda added as DPL.
Moved to Going Solo.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Noel!

Section 1 is PL OK - you have a lovely smooth reading voice!

Pleasure to listen to :)

Lynda
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Thanks Lynda,
Section 2 is now ready for your attention.
Noel
Noel's Recordings

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Noel!

Excellent reading of Section 2!

I loved listening to that section! It was so descriptive!

Lynda