New reader

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
IrishSarah

Post by IrishSarah »

Hi all,

I'm really excited to be part of this community and to contribute to recording public domain texts for everyone's enjoyment. I've no professional experience but have always really enjoyed reading aloud so was super enthused when I discovered this site.

I am currently taking some time out from my career for health reasons and to better balance the juggle of being a busy Mum in my youngest's last year before school starts, so this finally gives me a (small) window to do something I might love - and I'm hoping this is it! As my unoriginal username suggests I have a native Irish accent but have lived near London in England for 20 years so my accent is probably somewhere in the Irish sea these days.

I've done my one minute test so hopefully, it won't be too long before I can get going on a small project.
Any and all advice welcome to help me make the best recordings I can.

Sarah
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Welcome at LibriVox, Sarah :)
IrishSarah wrote: May 15th, 2018, 2:30 pm I've no professional experience
That doesn't bother at all :) If you love reading, I am sure you'll be fine.
IrishSarah wrote: May 15th, 2018, 2:30 pm Any and all advice welcome to help me make the best recordings I can.
I've seen that you have super equipment and your recording is already very good quality. Except for the a bit longish breaks which were already mentioned by Lynda I don't find anything to tell you right now :) So all I say is have fun recording! :)
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hi Sarah. If you're looking for a small project to practice on, a good place to start is with one of our poetry projects. Something is always ongoing, either a Weekly or a Fortnightly. Librivoxers suggest the poems and as many volunteers as want can record it within a given time period. It's interesting to listen to the different accents and interpretations of the same lines. This Fortnightly Poetry selection will be open through Sunday, then on Monday another one will begin.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=70200

P.S. I listened to your 1 minute test and it sounds fine and tech specs are correct. You could boost your volume +2.5, or adjust your gain up a bit on your mike, to attain our median 89 db. So if you want to record something without delay, just read the First Post carefully, and if you like the poem, hop in.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Hi Sarah! I love listening to UK accents (wish I had one!) so anything you read will be much appreciated! Look forward to hearing you around! ;)
IrishSarah

Post by IrishSarah »

Thank you so much Monika, Michele and Elizabby for replying and welcoming me to Librivox! :)
msfry wrote: May 17th, 2018, 7:15 am Hi Sarah. If you're looking for a small project to practice on, a good place to start is with one of our poetry projects. Something is always ongoing, either a Weekly or a Fortnightly. Librivoxers suggest the poems and as many volunteers as want can record it within a given time period. It's interesting to listen to the different accents and interpretations of the same lines. This Fortnightly Poetry selection will be open through Sunday, then on Monday another one will begin.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=70200
Thanks Michele, this is a good tip and I will check the poetry out as I agree a small practice project is what I need to tackle first.
msfry wrote: May 17th, 2018, 7:15 am P.S. I listened to your 1 minute test and it sounds fine and tech specs are correct. You could boost your volume +2.5, or adjust your gain up a bit on your mike, to attain our median 89 db. So if you want to record something without delay, just read the First Post carefully, and if you like the poem, hop in.
I actually had trouble getting my volume loud enough to get within the accepted range initially, had to try a few times and my gain was at almost max in the sample that passed the checker tool (which is a really useful tool!!). I will try again at max / play around within Audactiy and try to hit 89 db when I record something, thanks again!