COMPLETE[PLAY]Wappin' Wharf by Charles S. Brooks - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty wrote: May 11th, 2018, 3:05 am 8-) excellent sing-song you're doing throughout this act, TJ. :thumbs:
Why, thank yeh, mam.
Kitty wrote: May 11th, 2018, 3:05 am Darlin' is a diamond in the rough, but somehow lovable. I like her character, even though she wouldn't blink an eye if the Duke chucked Joe off a cliff :lol:
I know! All's fair in love and piracy, i guess...
Kitty wrote: May 11th, 2018, 3:05 am Only one note:
> from 0:29-0:58: “On the Strand….etc ”: sorry, this stanza is sung by Patch-Eye :( this can be cut out
thanks
Sonia
Ooops, sorry, Patch! Didn't mean to talk over yeh. Didn't mean yeh no disrespect. Though if we had been singing, we could have harmonized... :lol:
I'll cut it out.

Thanks, Sonia!
benderca

Post by benderca »

Here's Darlin's Act 2, reuploaded with Patch's stanza cut out. I still think we'd a' harmonized well together, Patch... :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wappinwharf_darlin_2_128kb.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: May 15th, 2018, 3:12 am Here's Darlin's Act 2, reuploaded with Patch's stanza cut out. I still think we'd a' harmonized well together, Patch... :D
yes it's a pity, but there you go. Patch gets his own spot in the limelight :)

Darlin PL ok now.

Now only waitin' for the Duke and then it's a wrap. :9:

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty wrote: May 15th, 2018, 3:20 am
benderca wrote: May 15th, 2018, 3:12 am Here's Darlin's Act 2, reuploaded with Patch's stanza cut out. I still think we'd a' harmonized well together, Patch... :D
yes it's a pity, but there you go. Patch gets his own spot in the limelight :)

Darlin PL ok now.

Now only waitin' for the Duke and then it's a wrap. :9:

Sonia
It's Darlin's own fault for rejecting Patch when the Duke suggests him as a potential husband. Now she don't get teh harmonize with him 'neither. :lol:
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wappinwharf_duke_2_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wappinwharf_duke_3_128kb.mp3

Well, now you get to see the Duke's romantic technique. I trust all the young fellers have pencil and paper ready. Watch and learn, lads, watch and learn...

By the way, have you noticed that the words "Red Joe!" are, phoneme-wise, just made to be snarled or growled by the Duke? Those two words seem to have the same effect on him as the words "Niagara Falls!" had on that guy Lou Costello always seemed to be sharing a cell with.

"Slooooowly, I turned...!"

Cheers,
Chris

Now 'scuse me while I go hunt up a throat lozenge.
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Great. Let's see what Sonia thinks and I'll be able to do the final editing.

Joe's romantic technique does seem to work better than Duke's: "I'm horribly handsome, filthy rich, and have the resources of the entire country and its Navy behind me". How can we scurvy pirates compete with that?

I have never actually seen the "Niagara Falls - Slowly I turned" routine even though it is a stock cliche of seemingly ancient vintage. Guess I'll have to hunt it down when I get some time....

Take two lozenges, one for each act!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: May 20th, 2018, 3:20 am Well, now you get to see the Duke's romantic technique. I trust all the young fellers have pencil and paper ready. Watch and learn, lads, watch and learn...
:lol: sorry, Duke, but you needed 22 minutes to NOT get the girl in the end. What's there to learn ? :mrgreen:

well...apart from that, the performance was brilliant. You may not get Betsy, but I'm sure you'll get some groupies from the theatre stalls. ;)
By the way, have you noticed that the words "Red Joe!" are, phoneme-wise, just made to be snarled or growled by the Duke?
I particularly loved the snarly way you say Red Joe :thumbs:

Speaking of the snarl...did those lozenges help get your vocal chords back in shape ? :? We still need you for other performances. Though I'm suspecting Dad Rudd will get the same raspy voice.

Oh and I'm sorry to say, but you're not off the hook (the Captain's hook :lol: ) yet. You missed a couple of group lines.

in Act 2:

> at about 21:02: you missed the pirates singing outside:

"I agrees ter this and ter give 'em bliss—
From Pew I learned the trick—
I push 'em wide o' the wessel's side,
And poke 'em down with a stick."

I don't know yet how Todd will assemble this chorus but he'll do a great job of it surely

in Act 3:

> at about 11:34: missing All line: "King Hal! Leetle Betsy!"

Thanks for this great performance, Chris ! We're so close to finishing this :9:

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Kitty wrote: May 20th, 2018, 10:04 am :lol: sorry, Duke, but you needed 22 minutes to NOT get the girl in the end. What's there to learn ? :mrgreen:
So the Duke is playing drummer to King Lead Vocalist. Quite a few of the groupies prefer the drummer. :lol:

Actually, Betsy is obviously the smoothest of this bunch.

“The girls I like the most of all,
And I know you'll think I'm right,
Are the girls that say they never will...
But look as though they might.”

I’ll hopefully post the corrected file tonight.

Cheers,
Chris
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 2 is ready for final PL except for Duke's part in the song - so that could be a Spot PL later.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

And Act 3 is complete for final PL as well except for the Duke line. What a great ending - worthy of Gilbert and Sullivan and the Pirates of Penzance!

Thanks, Todd
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Sorry, Todd, it was all go at Chez Chris when I got home this evening. No opportunity for some quiet time to record in. I hope to get a brief recording window tomorrow evening to put some more piratical snarling down on “tape”.

And to think I do it all without anabolic steroids. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: May 20th, 2018, 4:50 pmAct 2 is ready for final PL except for Duke's part in the song - so that could be a Spot PL later.
good idea to get as many PL jobs done as I can before I leave. Act 2 is a brilliant pirate romp :clap: loved each of our characters, and I try to picture you all with the right period clothes :mrgreen:

So the only thing it needs is the duke's raspy voice added to the pirate song at 37:57 and then this act will be completely PL ok. I make a note in the MW that it only needs Spot PL.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: May 20th, 2018, 6:58 pmAnd Act 3 is complete for final PL as well except for the Duke line. What a great ending - worthy of Gilbert and Sullivan and the Pirates of Penzance!
absolutely true (though I haven't heard the Pirates of Penzance yet, but it can't be better than this :mrgreen: ) if only we had had a swashbuckling scene on a ship's deck (and a moon, why did nobody hang up a moon :lol: ) but the whole performance was excellent. In fact you are all so brilliant at piracy, that I am starting to wonder, what you've been up to in your previous lives :hmm:

I have a few notes here for your consideration, Todd:

> at 12:43: "(The horrid creature spits.)" - I think even if you want to keep this in, maybe you could put the stage direction before the hearty spitting TJ is giving us. To warn the audience, so to speak :lol: making me say it after the fact is kinda redundant.

> at 26:40: "MEG: (in a whisper)." - I think this may safely get cut out

> at 27.03: "King Hal! Leetle Betsy!" - waiting for Duke's input here

great job, as always :9:

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 1:40 am Here's the Duke's missing bits: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wappinwharf_duke_missing_bits_128kb.mp3
:lol: :lol: I loved the live audience at the very end !!!!! I'm glad you still handed this in before I leave. Wouldn't have wanted to miss this !

Duke's additional lines PL ok. Your rasp will be a great addition to the chorus.

Todd, if you have time today, I can still Spot PL and this project can get archived :9: I will bring the bunny to my grandparents this evening but before I go to bed I'll check in once more in case there is any Spot PL for this one.

Sonia