COMPLETE [Finnish] Nuoren Wertherin kärsimykset by Goethe -lz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kalilei

Post by Kalilei »

Recorded and uploaded section 8. Updated the MW also.
Looking for a narrator for a dramatic reading of the Finnish epic KALEVALA
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

I listened rest of the files this afternoon. First the good news:
Section 4: PL passed
Section 5: PL passed

Then the bad ones:
-In Section 8, outro at the end has been forgotten
-In sections 6, 7 and 8; there is one tiny flaw in intro. At first I wasn't going to report this, but I changed my mind since it recur few times. It says "Tämä librivox-äänite on julkista omaisuu.." it should be "omaisuuttta", you have clipped it too soon.
-Since the volume seemed to alter somewhat between files, I decided to run everything through Checker; it turned out that sections 2. ja 6. didn't pass it. Volume is too low, it should be between 86-92dB,
these are around 82 dB. But it's very easy to boost volume a bit with audacity.
Kalilei

Post by Kalilei »

Thanks for the input. I'll look into it. That clipping is weird.

How can I check the volume of the recording?
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

Kalilei

Post by Kalilei »

I have done the revisions you pointed out on sections 2, 6, 7, 8.

I couldn't install the Checker on my setup (using a very old computer for recording as it has a nice quiet fan) but I'll see about trying to find a workaround in the future. In the meantime, I upped the volume on those two sections. Hopefully they are now ok.
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

How old computer one can have to not to run checker? :D Are you running on Linux?

Anyway, I think volume level of files 2 and 6 are close enough now. I run them again on checker, and they 'passed with warnings'; file 2 has volume of 85,3 dB, and file 6 85,8 dB, when the target range is 86-92 dB. Although I don't know does the volume need to be exactly between range, I think lezer can answer this?

Other mistakes are corrected now:
Section 2: PL passed
Section 6: PL passed
Section 7: PL passed
Section 8: PL passed
lezer

Post by lezer »

Yes, 85.3-85.8 are still OK, though preferably they should be more around 89 dB. The cataloguing software does have the ability to 'equalize' the volumes of the separate files, in a way, but only if the files put into it are as good as possible already.
If checker is not working for you, I can recommend checking out "ReplayGain" in Audacity. It checks & corrects volume to make it 89 dB.

Here's some info: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity
and our very own Phil's youtube video on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz4GF3HEXV4
Anna
Kalilei

Post by Kalilei »

I have added the 9th instalment and updated the MW.

I tried using ReplayGain, let me know how it worked out.

I have some time tomorrow so I'll try to get another section done.
Kalilei

Post by Kalilei »

Section 10 uploaded and ready for PL.
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

Section 9: The file is only 17:39 long. You have probably uploaded wrong file, since it reads 21:45 on Notes? And there was minor mistake, at 7:09 you said 'Tuntui' when it reads 'Tapahtui' in the book-text that I loaded from Project Gutenberg. Are you reading this from actual physical book? Since it is possible that there is mistake in PG:s version of the book.
Section 10: PL passed!
Kalilei wrote: March 24th, 2018, 5:13 am I tried using ReplayGain, let me know how it worked out.
It worked fine, 9. and 10. section are inside the range now!
Kalilei

Post by Kalilei »

Harr1 wrote: May 2nd, 2018, 8:44 am Section 9: The file is only 17:39 long. You have probably uploaded wrong file, since it reads 21:45 on Notes? And there was minor mistake, at 7:09 you said 'Tuntui' when it reads 'Tapahtui' in the book-text that I loaded from Project Gutenberg. Are you reading this from actual physical book? Since it is possible that there is mistake in PG:s version of the book.
Section 10: PL passed!
Have to check what is up with section 9. I have been reading from PG as other sources might be copyrighted in some way (also I don't own the book).

Additionally, I will probably have good time in a couple of weeks to do more recordings. Might even be able to finish the book then.
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

Kalilei wrote: May 13th, 2018, 12:26 pm
Have to check what is up with section 9. I have been reading from PG as other sources might be copyrighted in some way (also I don't own the book).

Additionally, I will probably have good time in a couple of weeks to do more recordings. Might even be able to finish the book then.
Yes, the mistake in it isn't big, since the meaning of the sentence is along the same lines. I considered long time should I even mention it all. But since there was another issue (length), I decided to bring them up all at once, so you can fix them both.

I'm also spending more time here at librivox on upcoming weeks, and since there is only three sections to finish, maybe we should target to get this project done before summer (officially!) starts, 1st June?
Kalilei

Post by Kalilei »

Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to finish recording this week. But I did the next best thing and recorded sections 11 and 12. I am not sure when I have time to do more but should be able to do it over the summer.

Section 9 indeed is missing few minutes from the end, stuff that I have recorded. Have to look into that more later.
Kalilei

Post by Kalilei »

Good news! I managed to record the last section today! So everything is up and ready for PL.
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

Section 11 ja 13 PL OK. In secetion 12 there is early clip at 11:20 (asettunut -> ase *Clip*)

Happy Midsummer!