COMPLETE Common Sense in the Household: A Manual of Practical Housewifery -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you :D
Carolin
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

Hi - I just uploaded Section 8 "Poultry" ... longest read ever for me at 32:50! That's a lot of chicken!!!!!

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/commonsense_08_harland_128kb.mp3

cheers
Jude
......................................................................................

"Your legacy is not what they say about you, but how they live differently because they knew you."
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you jude :D
Carolin
2839reader

Post by 2839reader »

Signature: KATHLEEN
lomond

Post by lomond »

2839reader wrote: May 10th, 2018, 6:18 pm Correction at 12:39 Asparagus Sauce
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/commonsense_21_harland_128kb.mp3
15:52
Greetings -

Sounds good.

Lomond
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Section 22 needs just one bit of attention and it will be ready to go.

Time: 07:46 "of the lemons; pound or grind the spices," Reading has "pour" instead of "pound".

Lots of interesting ideas for catsups and vinegars. Might just have to try some.

Lomond
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Section 52 - Drinks

One could get inebriated just listening to some of these recipes, i.e. three pounds of sugar to one gallon of water.

The reading does need some attention:

Time: 02:35 "are so minute, that I need give only a few" Reading has a startover at the words "that I need give".

Time: 10:43 "JAMAICA GINGER-BEER." Reading has "ginger-bread" instead of "ginger-beer"

Time: 11:33 "stone jar, and stir every day for a" Reading has "sift" instead of "stir"

Time 17:58 "or a system suffering under general" Reading has "sufficiently" instead of "suffering".

The recipe for raisin wine reminded me of how the inmates at the local prison used to secretly empty one of the fire extinguishers, rinse it out, put in a good amount of prunes and sugar they had smuggled out of the kitchen, add the required amount of water, and replace the extinguisher where it hung on the wall. A couple of weeks or so and they had a good supply of what they called "pruno". Other fruit could be substituted if prunes were not available. Imagine the surprise awaiting the fire marshall who inspected the extinguishers.

Lomond
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Section 52 has been fixed and re-uploaded.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
lomond

Post by lomond »

Piotrek81 wrote: May 11th, 2018, 11:08 am Section 52 has been fixed and re-uploaded.
Greetings -

Thanks much.

Lomond
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Section 26 was nicely read and is PL OK.

As I listened to some of the recipes, I was very thankful that someone came up with the idea of steaming vegetables instead of boiling them. Boiling asparagus 30-40 minutes! No wonder there are so few nutrients left in it.

Lomond
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Section 24 is PL OK.

Lomond
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Section 25 - Cabbage - is PL OK.

The author did not mention anything about the core of the cabbage head. That was the treat we as kids would vie for.

Lomond
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Section 27 is PL OK.

I apologize for getting a bit reflective, but...

A quote from this section: "Many declare that cucumbers are never fit to eat unless fried, and they are assuredly far more wholesome than when served raw."
I am wondering how a slice of cucumber dredged in flower and fried in lard or drippings could be more wholesome than a crisp slice of raw cucumber. ???

I noticed she did not mention fried green tomatoes. Perhaps it was too hoi polloi for her.

Boiled Carrots - "Large ones will require nearly an hour and a half to cook." Forgive me for being a bit cynical but if you have boiled a carrot for 90 minutes, you probably be better off drinking the water and throwing away what was left of the carrot. :roll:

Lomond
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Section 28 has just one word that needs to be changed and it will be ready to go.

Time: 15:50 "engaged a supercilious young lady" Reading has "superfluous" instead of "supercilious".

Lomond
2839reader

Post by 2839reader »

Correction on 22 "pound" instead of "pour"
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/commonsense_22_harland_128kb.mp3
13:42
Signature: KATHLEEN