COMPLETE] Half a Century by Jane Grey Swisshelm-dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thank you, Erin!

Lovely to have you back!

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Howdy Pam,

Chapters 55 and 56 are PL OK. Good stuff! I had to look up hospital gangrene. I thought I knew more or less what gangrene was, but hadn't really understood the different types. In this case, I'm ever so glad I live in a time and place when germ theory and the importance of sanitation are understood!
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thanks, Erin!

Hospital gangrene refers to wound infection accompanied by necrosis (dead tissue), with or without gas production (i.e. gas gangrene).

Unfortunately, despite all of our advances, it was still a part of my job in infectious diseases.

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
Newgatenovelist

Ah, you've just given me free tuition! Online resources are marvellous but not always 100% accurate, or written by people on the front line. Thank you!

I'm not surprised that it was still something you contended with. I didn't think it had magically gone away, but I confess I was thinking of the much higher mortality rates (particularly during the Civil War, as she's writing about) and thinking that advances have been made.
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Yes, It was the dominant problem then.

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi DaveC and Erin,

I have provided a new link to the text because the old link had two missing pages.

Thanks,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

The link on the project screen page has been updated! Thanks for the notification, Pam. It's easier to change it now.
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thank you, DaveC.

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Robert Louis Stevenson
Newgatenovelist

Hi Pam,

My education continues! I had to look up pyaemia. I'm sure this old hat to you, though. I was pleased to see on the Wikipedia page (I didn't say it was serious looking!) that Swisshelm's descriptions are mentioned as an historical witness to cases.

Chapters 57, 58 and 59 are PL OK.

Two notes for 60:

0.23-0.30. Second sentence, p. 274, repetition
When one just fitted a place I wanted to keep it, When one just fitted in a place I wanted to keep it...

1.42-1.48. First sentence p. 275, extra word/Freudian slip!
The surgeons of Campbell did [not] really want its patients to be happy and get well...
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Amazing! Really?

Thanks!

Will fix,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Erin,

Chapter 60 is ready for Spot PL:

08:06

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/halfacentury_60_swisshelm_128kb.mp3

My best,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson