[COMPLETE] Adelgitha; or, The Fruits of a Single Error by Matthew Lewis-kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

benderca wrote: April 27th, 2018, 3:43 am Speaking of ladies more eager to grab roles... may I play Dercetus please? :D
Thank you, TJ! Dercetus is all yours. :D
Tomas Peter
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I sure would appreciate having a little pronunciation guide for some of these names. Guiscard, in particular.

I'm thinking Adelgitha should be stressed on the first and third syllables, with a hard G, like addle-GEE-tha. Does that sound ok? I think there was another name I was unsure of, but I can't think of it now and I'm too lazy to go look. :lol:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: April 30th, 2018, 11:42 pm I sure would appreciate having a little pronunciation guide for some of these names. Guiscard, in particular.
well he seems to be French so it would be with a hard G at the beginning like in "to give" not like in "the gist". The letters 'u' after initial 'g' and 'd' at the end would not be pronounced, only "Giscar"
I'm thinking Adelgitha should be stressed on the first and third syllables, with a hard G, like addle-GEE-tha. Does that sound ok?
I was also pondering about this one. It sounds so German, but then they say she's from Italy. For some reason (maybe for the melody) I would have stressed on the second syllable a-DEL-gita and the 'g' should be more like a "dji" (so the opposite from Guiscard - like in "gist" this time).

I spoke them here so you know how I mean: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/adelgitha_names.mp3

But your stress on the third syllable is nice too (and probably more standard Italian), but I would definitely say the 'g' like a 'ji'

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Well, I found these:
Guiscard
Lothair
Rainulf
Julian
Alciphron

I'm mostly leaving this here for my own future reference. I couldn't find anything for Adelgitha except a really awkward text-to-speech sounding thing, and I couldn't find one for Dercetus at all.

Also, are most people here pronouncing the "au" in "Claudia" as "ow" or "aw"?
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

I can record a file of preferred pronunciations later this evening. That way they will be accessible in one place. :thumbs:

I'm still mulling over the pronunciation of Adelgitha, though. I don't know if it's more natural to use a hard or soft 'g.' :hmm: Somehow I find the soft 'g' more natural, but Sonia's version doesn't sound off the mark, either.
Tomas Peter
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Sonia, I've made the pronunciation file. Let me know if they all sound "right" to your ears. I want to be sure they all sound plausible before I link it to the first post. :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/adelgitha_pronunciations.mp3
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: May 1st, 2018, 6:50 pm Sonia, I've made the pronunciation file. Let me know if they all sound "right" to your ears. I want to be sure they all sound plausible before I link it to the first post. :)
they all sound good to me. And I want to stress, I have not heard the name Adelgitha anywhere yet. So my pronunciation is not necessarily the correct one. For Italian it's probably even more accurate to stress on the penultimate syllable "gi". It's only, I found my pronunciation somehow cooler :lol:

So as DPL I have to ask: do you want me to point out to readers if the names are pronounced differently than what you had in mind in this soundfile or is this only a guideline ?

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Kitty wrote: May 1st, 2018, 11:29 pm So as DPL I have to ask: do you want me to point out to readers if the names are pronounced differently than what you had in mind in this soundfile or is this only a guideline ?
I'm not too worried if the French pronunciations aren't followed. Gis-CARD over Gis-CARR, JOO-lee-in over Zh-oo-lee-AN... they sound similar enough not to be worth getting picky about. Adelgitha is the only one that should be the most consistent, since a) she's the main character and b) there are so many various ways of pronouncing it that it could get confusing.

I'll link the file to the main page as a guide, for anyone interested in consulting it. :)
Tomas Peter
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Since Duke proved unable to swoon dames under the age of 80, I think I’d better leave the romantic leading roles to the more suave.

Rainulf seems more like a tough cop, so I’ll put my hand up for that role if I may.

“Come out, Julian, we have you girt!”
(I was going to say “surrounded”, but hey, it’s the Middle Ages).

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 4:12 pm Rainulf seems more like a tough cop, so I’ll put my hand up for that role if I may.
Splendid to have you with us, Chris. :D It's not going to be as rambunctious a role as Father Philip was, unfortunately. Still plenty of room to bring the dramatics. The Middle Ages was never short on drama, luckily for us. :lol:
Tomas Peter
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Only a few parts left so can I read Julian?

I could also read the chorus if the would help.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

alanmapstone wrote: May 5th, 2018, 12:38 am Only a few parts left so can I read Julian?

I could also read the chorus if the would help.
Thanks, Alan. :) I've signed you up for Julian, but I'd like to wait on the chorus right now, in case someone comes along. If it doesn't get claimed when the other parts fill out, I'll put you in.
Tomas Peter
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

I'll take female peasants please -- or one of them if you're looking for multiples.
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

bluechien wrote: May 5th, 2018, 8:14 pm I'll take female peasants please -- or one of them if you're looking for multiples.
Thank you, Eva. :) Maybe it would be nice to have another female voice with yours, unless you want to work your magic and record yourself as different "peasants" and make yourself sound like a crowd. :P
Tomas Peter
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

WiltedScribe wrote: May 5th, 2018, 8:17 pm
bluechien wrote: May 5th, 2018, 8:14 pm I'll take female peasants please -- or one of them if you're looking for multiples.
Thank you, Eva. :) Maybe it would be nice to have another female voice with yours, unless you want to work your magic and record yourself as different "peasants" and make yourself sound like a crowd. :P
I do love a little gratuitous multitracking ...

But if you feel like it, you could put another "open" in with Female Peasants in case anyone else wants to join in too, besides my multiple selves. :D
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.